Did you put your bike up for the winter yet?

DangBruhY

Have you put your bike up for the winter?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Have you put your bike up for the winter?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotta pick up antifreeze for both bikes some time soon. it's rumored to get back near 60 this weekend and early next week, but my track season is over, so the water wetter needs to come out soon :(

How hardcore does everyone winterize? I'm considering bringing my wheels/tires inside for the winter on the track bike. why risk cracking? plus it's a good way to rationalize buying a front-stand to my fiance... "it might save me from having to spend $270 on new tires in the spring."

Winterize routine:

Place on kickstand, remove battery, put rags in pipes, cover with motorcycle cover. I'd probably use stands if I had them. If you do, make sure the front is a fork stand, not a stem stand - you want to keep the suspension loaded.

I don't do anything drastic and I haven't had any issues yet (other than charging batteries over the winter), either with the old Hurricane, or the busa. This is the first winter I've had the SV.

If you do, make sure the front is a fork stand, not a stem stand - you want to keep the suspension loaded.

huh i never thought about that before. i bought a stem stand but now i might have to buy a fork stand. this bike is raping me :eek:

Winterize routine:

Place on kickstand, remove battery, put rags in pipes, cover with motorcycle cover. I'd probably use stands if I had them. If you do, make sure the front is a fork stand, not a stem stand - you want to keep the suspension loaded.

I don't do anything drastic and I haven't had any issues yet (other than charging batteries over the winter), either with the old Hurricane, or the busa. This is the first winter I've had the SV.

So I was looking at buying a set of Pit Bulls stands from a guy and he says that the front is a 'peg-style stand that lifts at the triple clamp'. Is that what I would want?

My bike went into Schmuck's garage but I'm not ready to winterize yet. We have a 60+ degree heat wave coming through this weekend!

:confused::confused::confused:

yeah i am thinking of getting a nice trackbike because that is where i really have fun, and then buying a pos roadbike so i can still hang out and go on rides with everyone. but i will have to sell my bike this winter to do so. and i am still on the debating process of the whole situation as well.

I said yes, but have not actually yet...I am planning on doing it this weekend.

I was thinking just putting gas stabilizer in the tank, then making sure I move it every week or so and start it up for a little bit periodically throughout the winter...I am trying to decide if I want to keep it in my non-heated garage or bring it to my parents house where my dad has a heated shop...suggestions?

So I was looking at buying a set of Pit Bulls stands from a guy and he says that the front is a 'peg-style stand that lifts at the triple clamp'. Is that what I would want?

My bike went into Schmuck's garage but I'm not ready to winterize yet. We have a 60+ degree heat wave coming through this weekend!

No, that lifts it at the "stem" using my terminology. It's a good tool to have if you change forks a lot, but for storage and wheel removal... you need a regular front stand that uses the forks.

I'm trying to find where I read why not to store a bike on a stem stand, but I can't at the moment. I think it had something to do with suspension drooping and the seals when the bike is at 100% travel (as it would be on the stem stand). Like I said, I don't even have stands, so I just park mine in the garage on the kickstand. I've never had any issues with flat spotting.

Edited by JRMMiii

I talked to the guy that works on my bike, and he said that starting it can actually be bad for your bike in the winter. As most know, when you start it cold you see the moisture coming out of the bike in the exhaust. Just letting it run and turning it off can let the moisture build up in the cylinders and let wear/rust get in early on them. If you do this, make sure you actually get your bike going and the moisture out the best as possible. (up and down the street maybe if theres not snow?)

I typically just add stabil, unplug and remove the battery and cover it up.