Craigslist scam, but not sure what they are scamming for...

Nitrousbird

I put up my need for a roomate on Craigslist. Got a response right away, and they are moving in soon, so no biggie. But I got 3 different scam e-mails, but I can't figure out what they are about. Common theme among all of them is they want to move into my apartment, yet my add VERY clearly stated I have a house, and NOT an apartment. Here are the e-mails:

>Dear sir/ma,

> i am a nigerian looking for an apartment for my phD programme in

ohio

>so i had just been giving a visa for my one year programme in

ohio university in columbus

>i am about 51yrs old,married,plsease i want your urgent response

about

>this,i walk as a senoir lecturer in UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA one of the

>reputable university,i am among the lucky senior lecturer in my

istitution

>giving a scholarship to,plsease my programme would last about one

year,i

>want a decent aparment that will make my stay worthwhile over

there,please

>i want your urgent response thank you,

>

> yours faithfully,

>

> potter fulcrum,

> senior lecturer of Nigeria,

----------------------------------------------------------

i am young lady of 26yrs old i want an apartment in your area, iam keenly interested in apartment i am a missionary i travel to some of my church parishes we have a parish in u.k that is were i base but presently now i am in west africa the name of my church is REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD[REHOBOTH PARISH IN U.K]we have over 190 parishes in u.s now i had been assign to minister in one of the parishes in u.s.that is the reason why i want to count in your support it is God work,pls.kindly assit me for this apartment i will be staying up to 6months in u.s ,plsease get back to me as soon as get this mail thank you.isabella is my name

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I would like to rent your room.I am Mariah Johnson and I'm 26 years old social worker. I' m a Canadian but at present settled down in england, i will be coming over to The United States in a couple of weeks for vacation. Consequent to this and in order to make settling in much easier and quicker i am searching for an accomodation early and i saw your ad on the site i am sincerely interested in the room advertised and i want to make reservations for your apartment. I love travelling, sporting and enjoy meeting people. i get along much easily with most people.I do not smoke but do not mind people who do being around me, i drink very lightly occasionally. I will be coming over alone, with no family or pets. i dont intend to spend more than 2-3 months in America. Please reply me as soon as you read this email. I'll be waiting to hear from you. Kindly contact me via email if you are still looking for a room mate

Thank you

Yours sincerly

Mariah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

They are all from yahoo e-mail addresses. The last one, "she" sent two identical e-mails to me. I never responded to any of them, but I'm just curious as to what they are trying to scam. My only guess is they would try one of those "I'm sending you a deposit check bigger than it needs to be, please send back the excess."