Biking (the ones with pedals)

T Rex

I need some help, I haven't looked into buying a decent bike since I was in High School. I was wondering if just going out to Walmart and buying a $100 bike would be fine for what I want to do....

Which would be ride it to school this summer and maybe this fall depending on the weather. Not many of you know, or care im sure ;), but I will be attending Kent State University starting June 11th. My wife and I just bought a house in Cuyahoga Falls (roughly 10 miles away).

So biking 20 miles a day, something comfy, probably 18 speed, and something that might last a few years.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the help!

I am no professional on the topic, but if you are going to be biking 20 miles a day you might want something more than a $100 Wal-Mart bike.

A couple friends of mine work at Cyclist Connection in Canal Winchester and are super knowledgeable guys on the subject. Pay them a visit. I am sure they can tell you what you need and find something in the price range you want to spend.

My wife and I just bought a house in Cuyahoga Falls (roughly 10 miles away).

So biking 20 miles a day, something comfy, probably 18 speed, and something that might last a few years.

A trip from the falls to Kent will involve hills, pretty, but lots of hills. You want something that wont be destroyed by bumps, but not a heavy trail bike. Seek ye a good touring bike. Go to a proper bike shop and do a test ride. Walmart bikes will fall apart, where as the $500 bike my dad bought in 1973 is still a smooth riding machine.

...Oh wait, no, buy my trail bike, $100. :D

A wal-mart bike is just that... a wal-mart bike. Going to a real bike shop expect to pay a lot more but you'll get a lot more as well.

Be careful with getting a bike thats too nice. If I was going to ride to walmart I would get a walmart bike. 20 miles a day isn't that bad (I just rode that 30 mins ago). Just remember weather will take its toll on the bike, as well as thieves. $100 walmart bikes don't hurt as much as $500+ Raleigh/Cannondales/specialized.

if you're going to really be riding 10 miles to and from class every day and have a house to keep a bike in then do yourself a favor and spend a little more cash to get something worthwhile. If the roads you ride on are paved then don't get a mountain bike, get a road bike (if you think you can handle it) or a mountain bike style with road tires. Big 2.5 inch tires create a lot more rolling resistance than you might think. 10 miles is just a long way to ride on a 40 lb pos.

Whatever you do, do not get a Next bike. They are complete junk. A good full suspension bike costs like 2k. I would get a road bike if you are going to be riding on pavement. They are much quicker.

POS

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/83/64/67/00/0083646700017_215X215.jpg

Sweet

http://c.im.craigslist.org/5K/2q/OmP6jSUHfakMytO2C3tAJMxj3j2C.jpg

you should be able to find a decent bike for around 300 or 350 If you want something to last. Also I would stop in to A gear Higher to see what they have from last year that marked down and also so you can get a bike that is the right size for you (you can get a bike that is too big or small). If you go to any decent shop they and tell them what you want and what you will use it for they should be able to find you a bike that fits you and you are comfortable riding on.

Whatever you do, do not get a Next bike. They are complete junk. A good full suspension bike costs like 2k. I would get a road bike if you are going to be riding on pavement. They are much quicker.

POS

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/83/64/67/00/0083646700017_215X215.jpg

Sweet

http://c.im.craigslist.org/5K/2q/OmP6jSUHfakMytO2C3tAJMxj3j2C.jpg

Rear suspensions for pussies...

You can go get a nice hardtail trek with disc brakes brand new for $350. You are much better off with that bike than a cheap mongoose. Better build quality, components, warranty, and better re-sale value. Or you could try to get a used one, there are a lot of people who buy nice new bikes just to never use them.

What is this 20 miles? dirt? pavement? Occasional recreation you could get away with a wally world special, but if this is your mode of transportation then I would get something worthy.

as much as you want to buy a nice bike, i would buy the

walmartbike for the season ride it till it breaks. 20mi a day is a good goal, but unless you are committed you might not want to drop a 1k on a bike for something youll only use for a summer.

For some reason biking seems to be a sport where

peopel spend alot of money and end up only hardly using what they bought

My dad is a huge cyclists. he bought a $200 used

treck in the mid 90s and only got a new(used x1yr) in 2006. He did tours in therockys,numerous GOBA and TOSRV events with it.

alls im saying is make sure you are really interested before make a monetary commitment. Its the rider not the equipment that makes the difference. you can buy all the

lycra socks, carbon fiber frame/wheels, shimano components and all the lance armstrong helmets you want and still be slower than some 15yr old in your neighborhood:o.

PS if you ever want to go road riding PM me...id be down FOSHO:)

PPS http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/ is a good group to get with if you wanna buy some used stuff, or go for a ride.

I have a few reasons why I want to get a bike.

1. 20 miles a day isn't REALLY that much to bike plus it saves on gas and gives you a little time to reflect and plan your day.

I know driving 20 miles a day doesn't really take up that much gas however, as a few know, Im becoming more of an environmentalist the older I get (its wierd how this has happend Im even to the point of buying a Reel Mower because its better for the environment).

2. Get in better shape.

Can't argue with a little physical activity.

3. Better parking.

We drove around Kent State one day and parking is almost as crazy as OSU! I couldn't believe it. Of course I will have to drive on days there is any inclement weather.

I will be pretty much riding on pavement/sidewalks. I do NOT want a road bike because of the odd postion you have to sit in. I just want something that will get me back and forth for a few summers. A 300 dollar bike doesn't sound out of the question but a used decent bike for less than 200 sounds even better.

Id love to ride with other people but I will be up in Kent, OH ;).

Rear suspensions for pussies...

I got to ride a decent rear suspension this winter. It is nice and makes jumps real smooth but it feels like a tank compared to just front suspension bikes. I think the type of riding you do depends on what type of bike you should get. Like riding the rock gardens at Mohican Wilderness and for all the roots at Alum Creek a full suspension would be nice.