official word, blackouts illegal in ohio?

Slimpsy1647545505

I really like the look of my camaro with the black out tails on, and I'm almost 100% sure they are illegal so I don't ever put them on it. . . soooo, are they or are they not 100% illegal. . . I've heard the smoked ones are ok, but the blackouts are not? What the hell is the difference?

discuss

Nice first post. Might want to check out The Classroom and introduce yourself.

I have not heard anything about them being illegal but it would make since if it makes it too hard to see your break lights.

Alright, I did some research on the Ohio revised code and came up with this

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.071

This is NOT legal advice and there MAY be county laws that supersede this. I AM DRUNK and looking up the ORC. What I am saying is that is a good place to begin research and you can make your best judgment from there. Johnny Law will interpret as he so decides when he wants to pull you over.

Cliffs notes for the sober: this is a good place to start for the official laws of the Ohio Revised Code.

I got a ticket 2 years ago for having my rear blackouts on..

edit: I checked with our Columbus policeman that's here at night.. he said the blackouts themselves are not illegal.. but your lights have to be seen from a certain distance..

I got a ticket 2 years ago for having my rear blackouts on..

edit: I checked with our Columbus policeman that's here at night.. he said the blackouts themselves are not illegal.. but your lights have to be seen from a certain distance..

correct the light has to be visible and still be refletive.

I really like the look of my camaro with the black out tails on, and I'm almost 100% sure they are illegal so I don't ever put them on it. . . soooo, are they or are they not 100% illegal. . . I've heard the smoked ones are ok, but the blackouts are not? What the hell is the difference?

discuss

hey man, i used to have a white '92 camaro. i had blackouts, and was pulled over/interacted with cops a couple times and they never said a word about them. cops tend to be more easy on "muscle cars" than imports.

They may not be illegal, but if somebody hits you from behind, as far as your insurance company is concerned, all they have to do is say that "Your taillights were obscured/covered" and then guess who ends up at fault?

Seriously, given the extremely large number of distracted morons on the streets, why would you want to make your cars brake lights HARDER to see in any way?

They may not be illegal, but if somebody hits you from behind, as far as your insurance company is concerned, all they have to do is say that "Your taillights were obscured/covered" and then guess who ends up at fault?

Seriously, given the extremely large number of distracted morons on the streets, why would you want to make your cars brake lights HARDER to see in any way?

That's not a good excuse. What if you hit someone from behind while they were engine braking? It's not they're fault the person behind them isn't watching.

Honestly the rules on vehicle lighting is pretty clear and measurable. It is a distance from the vehicle that your tail lights must be visable. I want to say 1000 feet. I guess if someone wanted to they could argue about it and if your lights can be seen at the required distance I doubt there is anything the law could do if you desired to waste time proving it.

Evan