Who here mountain bikes?

Trouble Maker

trek/gary fisher blow big nuts. The best mountain bikes you can buy at shops (local at least) right now are specialized and kona. Specialized makes some bad ass hardtails, the p series are fantastic hardtails for urban jump/freeride, specialized also makes the stumpjumper series if you're more into xc type riding. Kona's fs bikes are killer too... I want a stinky so bad right now, just a bit too much for me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you take your Trek bike to...gasp...the Trek store. They should do a basic tune up for free.

why go out of his way to the trek store when he lives down the road from AGH and they are...gasp... a trek dealer.

:)

why go out of his way to the trek store when he lives down the road from AGH and they are...gasp... a trek dealer.

:)

Because the techs at the Trek store are trained directly by Trek. Plus all their techs are certified, can't say that about all the stores in Columbus

I got special on saturday no riding for me. Gasp like I said the bike is older I wont get a free tune up will have to pay for it. Just looking for something close and I know triple threats friend owns a store. Maybe he can hook me up.

I got special on saturday no riding for me. Gasp like I said the bike is older I wont get a free tune up will have to pay for it. Just looking for something close and I know triple threats friend owns a store. Maybe he can hook me up.

All Trek bikes get free basic tune ups at the Trek store

Jesse, where are those other shops you were talking about at?? I've had a good look at the Fisher and Specialized but would like to look at some other brands.

Sorry Ben, didn't see this before. Roll is on Polaris also, so very easy to go to while you are checking out AGH. If you go east of 71 it will be a few blocks up on the North side of the street. I think it's pretty much across from where BW3's is IIRC. Right next to a Starbucks. They will actually let you take the bikes out on some dirt behind their place. I think it's also worth nothing that some local orignization (can't remeber at this moment) made new maps of Alum and, by the sponsorship of Roll and Subaru, were able to print off 10k of them to put at the trail heads!

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6164

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=roll&near=Columbus,+OH&fb=1&ll=40.143551,-82.964716&spn=0.025884,0.040169&z=15&iwloc=A&om=1

Northland Cyclery is a few blocks north of Henderson on High on the East side of the road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=northland+cyclery&near=Columbus,+OH&fb=1&cid=0,0,3534810312922113792&z=17&iwloc=A&om=1

Everyone, FYI. Shawn told me he can't make it this Saturday, gota do some maintenance on the bike. I'll 95% still be going, but unless anyone post that they were going to go I'm not going to worry about showing at any particular time. If you still want to go post up and we can still do the same time, or something a little different if that works for you. Otherwise, get those bikes running and we should get a big group to go up some other time! :woowoo:

Thanks man, I'll see if I can get to those places to check them out today. Though I'm still leaning heavily torwards the Gary Fisher, I want to check out everything out.

I did notice the odd fork design on a lot of the Cannondale's.......though I'm sure they work fine I don't think I can bring myself to trust a front fork design like this..... http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/taurine/model-7FS0S.html

Ben, that is a weird ass fork design. Maybe if I were 150lbs lighter I would trust it more.

Does everyone here wear a bike helmet? I biked for years as a kid and an adult and never wore a helmet. Off road and street surface biking. I've been debating getting one. I will be riding offroad after getting back into the swing of things. Next question:

Does anyone know where and about how much it is to have your bike tuned? There not real nice bikes, just walmart bikes but that doesn't mean they don't need the same things adjusted, ie; brakes, gearing, etc. It seems like I never have the time to do it when I have the help. I also have no stand, so doing the gearing properly is a pain in the ass. Because of this, I haven't started my biking routine I've planned since this past winter.

Ben, that is a weird ass fork design. Maybe if I were 150lbs lighter I would trust it more.

Does everyone here wear a bike helmet? I biked for years as a kid and an adult and never wore a helmet. Off road and street surface biking. I've been debating getting one. I will be riding offroad after getting back into the swing of things. Next question:

A helmet has saved my life 2-3 times, yes wear a helmet. You can be the most seasoned trail rider, go off your bike and smash your head. Just like people who ride their motorcycle's without helmets are called "donor's" we call people who mountain bike without helmets "donor's"

I think it's also worth nothing that some local orignization (can't remeber at this moment) made new maps of Alum and, by the sponsorship of Roll and Subaru, were able to print off 10k of them to put at the trail heads!

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6164

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...15&iwloc=A&om=1

Yes, COMBO, which is a part of OMBA, is actually in charge of the mountain bike trails at alum, they built them, they maintain them, and they patrol them. If COMBO says the trail is closed, the trail is closed and if you get caught riding it when it is closed, you WILL be ticketed.

BTW, I am a member of COMBO, I suggest anyone who rides a lot to join, the dues money helps maintain the trails