Computer Question

SPLN SUX

So i bought a new "dispossible" computer and had a couple questions...

i plugged in my ATI-PCIE 512DDR graphics card and installed it, but still only show 512MB of memory, and 64MB of memory allocated to graphics... wtf? How can i change this?

Secondly, it came with 2 256MB sticks of ram, DDR2 PC4200... but i want to upgrade the shit out of it to like 2-4G... will any 240pin ram stick fit into the slot as long as its PC2-DDR2? I know my PC3200 sticks dont fit... but theyre only 184 pin. So i was just wondering if all the 240pin sticks have the notch in the same place...

Vista doesn't support shit. Go buy a copy of WinXP and keep your video card. Please provide me with the make and model of the motherboard if possible (take apart the case and look). Then after that I can answer your RAM question.

I searched on all over and there is no hits for " PSLP-LE motherboard " or "hp pslp". Do you have a manual that came with the computer?

I assume all 240pin RAM chips would work as long as the memory is at least 4200 like there is now. Usually motherboards will run slower ram along with faster RAM at the same time. Problem with that though is the motherboard will throttle all the RAM to one speed, the slowest RAM chip. Your manual will tell you for sure what speed RAM it takes.

Try downloading " unknown device identifier " and look at your motherboard. Make sure it also says the same make and model as you said earlier.

well theres your problem, yes any ram should work but xp pro will blow up if you swap straight to 4 gigs

since when?

I jumped from 1 to 4 at my old work. Actually. I just did it in vmware on my xp box

obviously the ammount of memory is only limited by the board not the o/s, however I have seen multiple boards crash the o.s from swapping from 512 or 1 gig to 4 gigs of ram. Just saying it is possible and I ahve seen many people have this problem.