Car wheel on bike

magifesq

I've got a 91 VFR 750 single sided swingarm setup on my busa (yes the avatar bike), I've heard some car wheels could fit with proper spacing, anyone ever do this? Coworker said the pattern would be a 4 x 100 bolt pattern. I'll have to see if my current wheel is a 5" to measure the next size up I could go. Obviously the next question is would anyone have an inexpensive wheel lying around the garage for the project.

Obviously? Obviously the next question would be "Why?"

As in "Why in the fuck would you wanna do that?"

Seriously...I really want to know.

I think someone is fucking with him.

Putting a car tire on a bike makes sense. But a wheel? Why?

Ok, I'll bite.

Why does putting a car tire on a street bike make sense?

It's a turbo busa. You really think that's a "street bike"? Or do you think it's more for drag racing? I'm betting drag racing, even if it is on the street. So it makes perfect sense. Flat tire = more contact = more traction. Hell, I know cruiser guys who use car tires on their bikes just for the mileage.

It's a turbo busa. You really think that's a "street bike"? Or do you think it's more for drag racing? I'm betting drag racing, even if it is on the street. So it makes perfect sense. Flat tire = more contact = more traction. Hell, I know cruiser guys who use car tires on their bikes just for the mileage.

I'd say street - depending on the boost. 5 to 7 pounds is VERY streetable. He's also got a VFR swing arm on it - thats all show.

The car tire has a TON of disadvantages on a bike - especially a sport bike. They're WAY heavier, which robs horsepower, and they make the bike really hard to turn.

I'd say street - depending on the boost. 5 to 7 pounds is VERY streetable. He's also got a VFR swing arm on it - thats all show.

The car tire has a TON of disadvantages on a bike - especially a sport bike. They're WAY heavier, which robs horsepower, and they make the bike really hard to turn.

I don't think a turbo busa was meant to be light or to be able to turn. Could you image the turbo spooling in a turn? That would suck balls.

I don't think a turbo busa was meant to be light or to be able to turn. Could you image the turbo spooling in a turn? That would suck balls.

It doesn't have anything to do with being light. Why would you spend all that money to increase your horsepower, only to suck half your gain away by using the heaviest tire and rim you could get away with?

By the way, I've ridden a turbo busa on the street, along with a turbo charged vrod. Both had excellent manners when the boost was set to a reasonable 5-7 lbs.

It doesn't have anything to do with being light. Why would you spend all that money to increase your horsepower, only to suck half your gain away by using the heaviest tire and rim you could get away with?

By the way, I've ridden a turbo busa on the street, along with a turbo charged vrod. Both had excellent manners when the boost was set to a reasonable 5-7 lbs.

reasonable boost = boring

and i'm not justifying the car wheel, just the car tire. get a nice fat mickey thompson on there.... oh yeah....

reasonable boost = boring

and i'm not justifying the car wheel, just the car tire. get a nice fat mickey thompson on there.... oh yeah....

I dunno....7 lbs of boost on a busa will get you over 200RWHP. Thats not THAT boring.

Try 21lbs on a properly built motor if your balls are big enough.

Mickey makes a bike drag radial thats the shit. The car tire sucks, it still adds wayyyyy too much weight

I dunno....7 lbs of boost on a busa will get you over 200RWHP. Thats not THAT boring.

Try 21lbs on a properly built motor if your balls are big enough.

Mickey makes a bike drag radial thats the shit. The car tire sucks, it still adds wayyyyy too much weight

You're right and everyone running a car tire must be wrong.... :dunno:

Poor guy. Everyone made him shy. I've seen a couple street tires on bikes. I think it all depends on the bike. I saw either a BMW or a VFR with a street tire on the back, but it was that way because of the sidecar (which was fully enclosed and looked pretty trick, kind of like a escape capsule). I saw it at mid ohio vintage days last year.

What I wanna know is how do I get motorcycle tires on my Cavalier? Im still working on those damn chicken strips....

You're right and everyone running a car tire must be wrong.... :dunno:

No, I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

A Streetbike is different than a car tire wheelie bar slider clutch raked front prostock bike. How many of those pics that you posted had single sided swing arms? None.

How about these

Busa%20Outside%20003_resize.jpg

TURB012_CROP.jpg

The 'busa is over 400 RWHP, and the V-Rod is 172RWHP - on pump gas. I dont see car tires on either one of those.

How about some of the other prostar bikes?

Maybe Mikey Slowe:

slowe.jpg

Just two different deals, that's all.

If you want to build a prostock or funny bike, cool. Its all good.

Its just a turbo busa with a VFR swing arm isn't a funny bike. Ok, maybe if you put a car tire on it it would be funny.