My new toy.

Guest 00Smurf

the LS1 will always be better than the LT1, but if money is an issue then the LT1 is the way to go. You will still make a fast car, no matter what you choose. There are other mounting kits too, like Ford V8's and Chevy V6's, as well as Ford 2.3 turbo.

Guest 00Smurf
the LS1 will always be better than the LT1, but if money is an issue then the LT1 is the way to go. You will still make a fast car, no matter what you choose. There are other mounting kits too, like Ford V8's and Chevy V6's, as well as Ford 2.3 turbo.

from what i've read. the best combo fitment wise is the lt1/t56. it apparently fits almost like it was from the factory. I'm going to u-wrench it today to see if they have anything of use there.

As far as granny's or hintons. Which makes a better quality mounting kit?

Nice pick up, that one had been on CL for a while. LT1-T56. Best combo. I'd go with grannys, maybe think about picking up a ford 9" rear, but the stock rear ends can handle up to 400/500HP stock, incredibly. Pull the storage bins and check for rust first, though.

Guest 00Smurf
Nice pick up, that one had been on CL for a while. LT1-T56. Best combo. I'd go with grannys, maybe think about picking up a ford 9" rear, but the stock rear ends can handle up to 400/500HP stock, incredibly. Pull the storage bins and check for rust first, though.

yea, it had been. i'd been working on talking him down in price. Patience pays off. There are only 2 spots of rust. small one on the top of the sunroof, and a bit of surface rust on the rr quarter. no other rust anywhere.

anyone have any leads on a lt1/ls1 rear ended car or just engine and tranny?

No need for an axle swap, you won't kill the one in there. That's a promise.

You could always find a caprice, or something on the same platform with an LT1, especially if you plan on building, it will be easier to find and cheaper than one from an fbody. I just happen to have a car for sale with an LT1 in it and a 4L60E.

Now, any engine swap is a pain in the ass. The easy way would be to find a premade wiring harness specific for the swap you want to do. As far as what engine to put it, you could do just about anything you imagine, but for simplicity sake I would go with only something that you can get a swap kit for. As nice as it is to be unique, it also means having to innovate and fabricate extensively. Along with the LT1/LS1 and T56 combo, there are also some cheaper possibilities out there. The GM 3800 (RWD configuration), the 4.3, Ford small blocks, 2.3T. Then, there's plenty of cool oddball stuff like the Lexus 4.0 V8.

Basically, take into account what your skill level is, your budget, and what you prefer.

for the love of sweet jesus do not put a piece of shit ford 2.3T engine in it. not only are the V8's more modern/powerful and have a stronger aftermarket, but they actually fit under the fucking hood!

also, you should race me when your done ;)

Along with the LT1/LS1 and T56 combo, there are also some cheaper possibilities out there. The GM 3800 (RWD configuration), the 4.3, Ford small blocks, 2.3T. Then, there's plenty of cool oddball stuff like the Lexus 4.0 V8.

Basically, take into account what your skill level is, your budget, and what you prefer.

LEXUS 1UZ-FE FTW!!!!

I believe it was rated one of the most dependable engines ever by J.D. Power & Associates. You can get 500,000 miles on the engine with no problems, as long as you keep up with the standard maitenance.

As far as quality kits, Hinson's are a better quality, but Granny's are cheaper. Personally I would go with Granny's, because I am a poor ass college student and money is always the biggest factor in every single project I undertake.

As far as easy of install, carbuerated engines are the easiest, but EFI will give you better gas mileage and ease of tuning. RX-7's are really one of those project cars where everything just depends on what you have the money and skill for.

Guest 00Smurf

I just happen to have a car for sale with an LT1 in it and a 4L60E.

any more info on this? I'd like to keep the 5spd, so i wouldn't need the tranny.

What cars other than camaro/corvette had the ls1/lt1 in them?

Everything you need to know can be found here

Thanks. What do you recommend tinman? I'm tryign to figure out what bits i need to keep and what bits i can get rid of. Like i have the turbo II wiring harness, but i don't think i need all of it. Also what brackets and such that were attached to the engine.

Anyone need any extra 13b engine parts. Have everything from it except the engine block.

any more info on this? I'd like to keep the 5spd, so i wouldn't need the tranny.

What cars other than camaro/corvette had the ls1/lt1 in them?

Thanks. What do you recommend tinman? I'm tryign to figure out what bits i need to keep and what bits i can get rid of. Like i have the turbo II wiring harness, but i don't think i need all of it. Also what brackets and such that were attached to the engine.

Anyone need any extra 13b engine parts. Have everything from it except the engine.

The TII tranny and driveshaft are worth some money along with the engine of course. You won't need any engine brackets, it is easier to use the accessories from the new engine. You will need some of the wiring harness, don't cut anything yet!!! The TurboII engine harness is worth a little money if it is in good shape. It can be removed while still retaining the wires that you will need.

Spend plenty of time searching on V8RX7.com and don't piss off the rotary fans, they can be very helpful and they may be interested in some of the parts you will not need.

Edit, Here is a page that describes the wire splicing if swapping an LS1, it's still useful if going with something other than LS1

Guest 00Smurf
Guest 00Smurf