Too much power for a road course...

Science Abuse

"When you can come out of a corner and lay black streaks until you need to brake for the next corner, then you have enough power" - Mark Donohue

Great find!! The 917-30 was INSANE, and likely the only car that Donohue drove that met his criteria for enough power

I highly recommend picking up and reading "The Unfair Advantage" if you have not already!

I love reading/watching about these old cars. Le Mans is certainly one of my favorite movies. If you wanna read more about cars related to this, check out the new Car and Driver. There's an awesome article about the Ford vs. Ferrari saga of the late '60s. Plus they have a couple reviews of a Ford Mk IV and Ferrari 330 P3/4.

the LeMans battles were very cool, but for me Can-Am was the coolest series ever. You had monster cars running insane power (about 1100-1200 for the 917-30) and huge tires. Most importantly, the rules were wide enough that very few people had similar cars, which made the series so interesting. I really like how everybody took different paths to performance and seeing how it turned out.

You can still see them at vintage races, people own them here in the states. Check out the Brian Redman Challenge at Road America, I went a few years ago and saw a 917 going around the track. It was a ton of fun. Oh and you see a ton of Can-Am cars also!

it's not very likely to see a real Can-Am car at SCCA vintage races, especially ones in the midwest, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. Plus, there's just some really cool stuff up there. Last I checked, there was still a guy who drives one of the original Penske camaros in the series...$$$$

I definately wish I would have been around to watch these cars race too, especially since they had a regular date a Mid-Ohio, which is where my dad watched them. I just get to read about them in books.