Best Beater 4WD Truck/SUV

hpfiend

i've been looking at a few 98-2000 jeep limited/sports, the 4 door boxy ones, the 4.0l 6cylinder and 4x4 can be found for $2500-$4k, no problem. I'm looking at a black one today, leather, 4wd, cd, power everything, 145k miles but its only $2700, looks cherry too, plus its a 2000.

i've heard jeeps are like tanks, run forever.

I drove the misses 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee last winter and loved it but believe it or not my moms 2005 Buick LaCrosse did really well in snow was able to drive 5 mph over the speed limit in 2-4 inches of snow with NO PROBLEMS no sliding or nothing traction control only kicked in a few times..

I'm looking for a Cherokee myself cause it would be good to have something to haul a few things in. But a heavy ass Buick will do the job too.

wow- it seems the consensus is jeep! I will look there as well. My brother-in-law did have a grand cherokee with 180K miles on it. My dad's '87 4x4 Wrangler 4.0L straight six carburetted is a POS and it only has 4,000 miles. It has been crappy since the day he bought it.

He said the next year they came out with a bigger fuel injected engine that supposedly was much better?

Guest 78novaman
wow- it seems the consensus is jeep! I will look there as well. My brother-in-law did have a grand cherokee with 180K miles on it. My dad's '87 4x4 Wrangler 4.0L straight six carburetted is a POS and it only has 4,000 miles. It has been crappy since the day he bought it.

He said the next year they came out with a bigger fuel injected engine that supposedly was much better?

The carb'd motor was the 258ci six. That motor is a tank, but practically impossible to keep running smooth. The 4.0L is the modernized, fuel injected version. As long as the regular maintenance has been done, it will run well over 300,000mi.

Yes, buy the cherokee. It will go anywhere in the snow with ease. My dad left his parked at the Pittsburgh airport for over a week. Came back and it was in 6-8in of unplowed snow. Put it in 4x4 and it pulled right out no problem.

Are you guys talking about the 84-01 Cherokee compact SUV or the 93-present Grand Cherokee, or does it matter. By Sport and that it is the boxy one I believe you are referring to the Cherokee.

Also- are these manual transmission units or auto?

Thanks!

I would recomend a Cherokee (XJ). Grand Cherokee's (ZJ) are good, but if only if you want more of a full size SUV. The regular Cherokee is more mid sized and is just as powerful. The 4.0L like others have said is for sure bulit proof. It is a great engine and will do everything you will ever want it to for a 4X4. You can find a manual transmission in the Cherokee but they are not as common. Most are autos. And I am pretty sure the Grand Cherokee only comes with an auto. Also a thing to keep in mind, some Cherokees come in only 2wd, so watch if you are looking for 4WD. Also with the Cherokee, you actually shift it into 4X4, where the Grand Cherokee's are all full time 4x4.

I picked up my 94 XJ with 140K miles for $1,750. Keep an eye on Craigslist, I see quite a few daily for a pretty good price, but they normally go pretty quick.

I had an 88 jeep cherokee 2 door that bad ass ice storm over xmas a few years back...had it in the ice for a weeek while iw as i n chicago came back chizzled the ice off the door hjandel started right up an put 4wd an pulled outta 6 inches of snow an ran down the road...mind u it had 290 thousand miles an ran great an got it for 700 bucks...an cheap to lift an make a toy easy toy

I had an 88 jeep cherokee 2 door that bad ass ice storm over xmas a few years back...had it in the ice for a weeek while iw as i n chicago came back chizzled the ice off the door hjandel started right up an put 4wd an pulled outta 6 inches of snow an ran down the road...mind u it had 290 thousand miles an ran great an got it for 700 bucks...an cheap to lift an make a toy easy toy