Iron Pony to buy Motorsports of Columbus

Smokey

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has been in the works for almost a year, I think. If he's got a pic of a sign stating it, post it to make it official... I think it is still more rumor than fact...

You're correct that the deal is not inked yet, but it's gone far enough that they've told the employees of the dealership and the respective financial people for both parties are at the dealership this trying to put the deal together.

You're correct that the deal is not inked yet, but it's gone far enough that they've told the employees of the dealership and the respective financial people for both parties are at the dealership this trying to put the deal together.

Try is the key word here...

well half of that plaza next to the pony is empty. I'm suprised they aren't doing something with that.

I'm actually suprised someone hasn't put a moto themed restraunt/pub in there yet.

Hmmmmm..... I was looking for a new job

Smokey-

You're throwing out a bunch of speculation here. Mind telling us what or who your sources are? Are you an employee at MOC or something? Reason I ask is that the rumors are certainly out there, but MOC telling their employees that Pony is set to buy them is sorta suicide in terms of jobs.

If I were an employee and knew that another shop was set to buy the one I work at, I would assume the shop I work at is about to go under. Plus, would I have a job when the new owners arrived?

I'd bail...

Point is that from what I know (I have some VERY close sources) it is closer to rumor than fact. I think stirring stuff up is kind of a bad thing...

Not busting balls, but a lot of times, when a bigger dealer buys a shop, those other shops that are struggling tend to get thrown into the mix...

you're correct that the deal certainly isn't inked, but yes, I'm sure they've told the employees.

I used to work at MOC. Actually back when I liked working for a bike shop it was Classic Cycles way back when. I used to work with ZeroCrash there and we both loved it before it was bought and turned into MOC. I still regularly keep in touch with a couple of the guys that work there.

So my source is from 2 employees whom are managers at the store.

I can see your point about conjecture and I didn't mean to imply that the deal was as done as Yamaha, but I'm certianly not telling something that I heard from some dude who knows a guy. I just thought I'd get peoples opinions on here because that reception will likely affect who continues to stay there as you've stated.

you're correct that the deal certainly isn't inked, but yes, I'm sure they've told the employees.

I used to work at MOC. Actually back when I liked working for a bike shop it was Classic Cycles way back when. I used to work with ZeroCrash there and we both loved it before it was bought and turned into MOC. I still regularly keep in touch with a couple of the guys that work there.

So my source is from 2 employees whom are managers at the store.

I can see your point about conjecture and I didn't mean to imply that the deal was as done as Yamaha, but I'm certainly not telling something that I heard from some dude who knows a guy. I just thought I'd get peoples opinions on here because that reception will likely affect who continues to stay there as you've stated.

Are these employee managers saying that the owners told them Pony is trying to buy them and they are willing to sell? Or, is it a deal where MOC isn't that friendly with Pony (no secret) and they have heard the rumors and may have even talked with Pony and are making a bit of a sarcastic remark as opposed to being totally serious?

Reason I ask is because things like this get people fired. It sometimes gets businesses in a pickle where they have employees leave over something stupid like a rumor. Overall, I think concrete proof is what is needed and not a "he said, he said" deal.

I know you know a couple of managers - that's cool. But, Nick on here works at Pony and is an inside source there and higher up than a regular floor guy. I also know some pretty serious sources within Pony and know they've talked as mentioned. However, IF it does go down, only the owners know when - not even the MOC guys would know that.

So, saying the employees "heard" Pony was trying to buy them is different than the owners of MOC having a meeting and letting management know that there is a deal on the table and it's looking like Pony is going to buy us out. That is a meeting that would take place at the twelfth hour. It certainly wouldn't be due to speculation.

Unless MOC has the world's worse management staff. Again, why would they tell managers that and have them tell floor people the same thing as opposed to the owners having a meeting with ALL employees?

When the shop I used to work for was bought out, I wasn't working there, but what was known by the owner wasn't known by employees. He addressed the employees when it was less than a 10% chance of falling through. What that meant was that financial plans were in order and it was really based on the owner getting the reports back from the OEMs. At that point it was confirmed and a meeting was held. That meeting was still a good while before the change, but you get the idea... It was pretty much in stone when it was brought to the attention of employees.

What you are stating is making it sound as if it is less than 10% a chance of NOT happening. I think that's not truth. Yet.

I will send some text messages out today to my MOC friends. I will find out what the inside scoop is. I am sure Nick can get Pony info from people like Corey unless it's hush hush...

What the hell would Pony use that place for.....more clearance? I mean hell another Pony v2.0....What more can Pony do? With a location that size none the less.

Edited by Putty

I will send some text messages out today to my MOC friends. I will find out what the inside scoop is. I am sure Nick can get Pony info from people like Corey unless it's hush hush...

What the hell would Pony use that place for.....more clearance? I mean hell another Pony v2.0....What more can Pony do? With a location that size none the less.

They're trying to buy the dealership...not the building....they want to sell Honda/Kaw/Suzuki

Lizard. Yes they have told the employees. Yes they had a meeting to tell them that there are active negotiations to buy the business that they are currently entertaining. The CFO of MOC is in town from Florida this week meeting with people from Pony, so I'm doubting it's just some sort of backlash rumor.

You're correct that the way the dealership is run is less than ideal and that's being nice, but I can assure you that 100% they have told the employees (at least the management) that they are in negotiations on the deal. They've even discussed term periods of employment under the new ownership.

Reason I ask is because things like this get people fired. It sometimes gets businesses in a pickle where they have employees leave over something stupid like a rumor. Overall, I think concrete proof is what is needed and not a "he said, he said" deal.

I would also appreciate it if you wouldn't insinuate that my thread here will get people fired or cause them to quit. I can see zero negative impact to the current employees of Pony by them reading this, and this news will not come as a surpise to any of the MOC staff.

I would also appreciate it if you wouldn't insinuate that my thread here will get people fired or cause them to quit. I can see zero negative impact to the current employees of Pony by them reading this, and this news will not come as a surpise to any of the MOC staff.

Wait... You said the MANAGEMENT was told by the OWNERS of MOC. You didn't say anything about the top guys at Pony telling the management at Pony...

I was saying that if the management at MOC was telling people what they were told in a meeting and the owners of MOC didn't want that and they read it here or are pointed here by someone, they could easily have grounds to fire someone. Especially if Pony WAS in talks and they find out that it is public due to internal managers at MOC, it could be a deal where Pony gets pissed and the talks stop.

As far as people quitting, it is something that once it is brought out, in today's economy and the fact that a LOT of dealers are struggling, an employee may see it as a time to go elsewhere and not gamble.

Putting things out publicly that are not meant to be can result in bad things. Am I saying you are responsible? Not entirely. But if you put it out there due to info from a buddy internally and that guy gets fired, it sorta falls on you a bit, but is really on him for opening his mouth...

All of course examples and not saying it will even happen. Just pointing things out that might have been something to consider before posting...

If you are saying the managers you know are from Pony and that the top folks at Pony had a meeting, then that's different... They are the ones (rumor) that are making an offer. They can tell their employees in a manner that would be actually beneficial as they could get promoted to a higher level than what they are now. Pony would need more employees if anything if they picked up MOC.

Wait... You said the MANAGEMENT was told by the OWNERS of MOC. You didn't say anything about the top guys at Pony telling the management at Pony...

If you are saying the managers you know are from Pony and that the top folks at Pony had a meeting, then that's different... They are the ones (rumor) that are making an offer. They can tell their employees in a manner that would be actually beneficial as they could get promoted to a higher level than what they are now. Pony would need more employees if anything if they picked up MOC

I have made no statements as to what's been discussed on the Pony side of things. I have no input from the pony side of things as I do not know anyone there high enough that it could be considered good information. You're the one who said that you have connections there and they have not heard anything.

I was saying that if the management at MOC was telling people what they were told in a meeting and the owners of MOC didn't want that and they read it here or are pointed here by someone, they could easily have grounds to fire someone. Especially if Pony WAS in talks and they find out that it is public due to internal managers at MOC, it could be a deal where Pony gets pissed and the talks stop.

As far as people quitting, it is something that once it is brought out, in today's economy and the fact that a LOT of dealers are struggling, an employee may see it as a time to go elsewhere and not gamble.

Putting things out publicly that are not meant to be can result in bad things. Am I saying you are responsible? Not entirely. But if you put it out there due to info from a buddy internally and that guy gets fired, it sorta falls on you a bit, but is really on him for opening his mouth...

All of course examples and not saying it will even happen. Just pointing things out that might have been something to consider before posting...

If you are saying the managers you know are from Pony and that the top folks at Pony had a meeting, then that's different... They are the ones (rumor) that are making an offer. They can tell their employees in a manner that would be actually beneficial as they could get promoted to a higher level than what they are now. Pony would need more employees if anything if they picked up MOC.

Their making an offer to buy the business is not a rumor, the rumor is to whether or not the two sides will actually reach an agreement.

As to people getting fired for the sole reason of this information getting out, I HIGHLY doubt that. Everyone that might have quit at MOC after hearing this news has already heard it before I ever put it out here. I did not post this up when I first heard the news either.

I also think you're grasping for air on the argument that Pony would back out of the deal because it was "leaked" on an internet forum. If the deal doesn't go through I'm sure it's for much more sound reasons than that. You even stated yourself that the idea of buying MOC has been thrown around for quite some time, I heard that for a long time, even after they finalized the Yamaha deal. I'm merely pointing out that it's gone further than just an idea and actual action has been taken to try to make it happen.