Bike is torn down for the season

playerpro153

OK, it's official. I finally started tearing my bike down for the winter. I'm down through the air box and it's about time to check those valves. Does anybody want a walk through of the valve check / possible adjustment before I go through with this? I can post photos if anybody wants them. I hope to do it this weekend at the earliest.

yeah, I'm not taking it that far unless I planed on swapping my engine, swingarm and steering bearings. Just the routine maintenance: valves, clutch and suspension (new oil, springs, and possibly seals). For putting 27,000 miles on the bike in less than 2 years, it's due for some TLC.

it's before his time

I forgot all about that show 'til I saw your avatar. My buddy & I used to laugh our asses off at their smart ass comments!!! roflmao.gif

Red Green used to be another of our favorite TV drinkin' shows :D

"If 'ya can't be handsome.....Be handy!"

"Ductape.....Handyman's best friend!"

Edited by Fonzie

OK, it's official. I finally started tearing my bike down for the winter. I'm down through the air box and it's about time to check those valves. Does anybody want a walk through of the valve check / possible adjustment before I go through with this? I can post photos if anybody wants them. I hope to do it this weekend at the earliest.

Suggestion? Buy an OEM service manual and read the specs and get a set of shims.

Honestly, I would be amazed if you need to adjust, but checking them is as easy as pie. Just follow along in the OEM service manual and you'll fly right through it.

Better thing to do is pull the swingarm bolt, triple trees, shock linkage bolts and axles to lube up. I can bet a good sum of money outside the axles at a few instances, the others are as dry as chapped lips...

dont mess with the valves untill it makes you! U may have to take the motor out to check them unless you like working in real small places. Get a track bike!!!

Bad idea. Again, I doubt they are needing adjusted, but following a service plan is a good thing - espeically if you track the bike. Motors wear out and they need to be checked for spec. It's better to get it before it starts to tell you it needs it.

Usually cheaper...

no worries lizard, I have the complete OEM service manual in a PDF and printed out in a binder. I need to to pick up some angled feeler gauges and the cam chain tensioner holder and I'll be set. I can't find the ladder anywhere online so I need to go to my honda dealer and order one.

I've heard the hondas will go well past their service life for a valve check (15,000 suggested) and I'm already 10,000 past that. Being winter time, I'm not missing any riding while the bike is torn apart. A certainly don't want to risk blowing my motor next spring if the valves do need adjustment.

I also need to get into replacing the clutch, but I want to install stiffer clutch springs if you have any suggestions. I'm surprised the original clutch plates have lasted this long.

no worries lizard, I have the complete OEM service manual in a PDF and printed out in a binder. I need to to pick up some angled feeler gauges and the cam chain tensioner holder and I'll be set. I can't find the ladder anywhere online so I need to go to my honda dealer and order one.

I've heard the hondas will go well past their service life for a valve check (15,000 suggested) and I'm already 10,000 past that. Being winter time, I'm not missing any riding while the bike is torn apart. A certainly don't want to risk blowing my motor next spring if the valves do need adjustment.

I also need to get into replacing the clutch, but I want to install stiffer clutch springs if you have any suggestions. I'm surprised the original clutch plates have lasted this long.

What's the ladder you refer to? If it is to hold the cam chain from falling in the motor, get a BIG diaper safety pin from Wal-Mart or similar. You can also use safety wire or zip tye and tie it to the frame somehow. Should you need to remove the cams to adjust the shims...

I agree and am thankful you are doing it before it is telling you to do so. Always good to check, but I still bet you'll be good. Hondas are known for being good on valve adjustments.

Clutch? I'd go with a Vesrah complete kit. Might as well do the whole kit. If you want stiffer clutch springs, I suggest the Barnett ones. i think they are the stiffest ones I have experienced. I hate them, actually and really like the Vesrah ones or even OEM. Of course, Honda's might be really soft compared to Suzook's...

You can get the angled feeler gauges at NAPA. Don't forget to dab some oil on them before you slide 'em in.

The cam chain tensioner holder just prevents one of the pistons form dropping out of sync when turning the camshaft to check the intake and exhaust valves. It's just suggested in the manual to hold that in place when performing the check. I've read that I could just stick a flathead screwdriver in the port for the tensioner holder to prevent this from happening. I will only have to remove the cams if I need to adjust the valves, but it's not necessary for the check.

I'm on the fence with the clutch. I need to replace the plates, but I'm considering a yoyodyne slipper as a replacement. Thing is I don't plan on tracking this bike any time soon. The bike I do get for the track, however, will get a slipper.