sportster question

GSXRBirch

my brother is thinking about selling his sportster and wanted to know about what it is worth and going for now. it is a 2004 1200 custom sportster with 16xxx miles some small upgrades but not sure what. if anyone has any input it would be great thanks.

I once went with a friend to look at a Hardly. I don't remember the model, but the guy was asking a shitload more than any were going for in cycletrader. The best part of the adventure was he had a goat tied to a big doshouse. That fuckin goat would hike its leg and piss into its own mouth. The seller had a child that walked over to show us the goat and the damn thing hiked its leg and pissed on the boy.

Cycle Trader avg selling price is the best guage. Kbb.com doesn't know anything about market trends and sesonality or selling motorcycles. Go to CycleTrader.com and do a search within 250 miles for the bike that is being sold. See waht the avg is and there is a starting point.

You can search ebay's completed listings too, gives a good idea what a "deal" on a similar model is, as a "low point" and hope to get about 10% more to a motivated seller. Beyond that, you're probably going to be hanging onto it in my experience. What they really sell for is the value, it's just that some people have a hard time getting over that figure.

Cycle Trader's website is mostly dealers advertising. A poor choice for finding what is being sold by the common person. Buy a Cycle Trader magazine to find what real people are selling them for.

Ebay is an OK place to find prices, but understand that a lot of those folks are asking a bit more due to fees and such.

Another great place is Craigslist. It's where a LOT of people shop for bikes anymore...

It's not likely he'll be able to sell it. Right now Harley has a promotion going that if you buy any new Sportster now, you can trade up in a year and get the full original MSRP as your trade in value on a new bike.