What is wrong with Automotive Engineers?

Boost-n-Juice

Seriously, I swear they do stupid shit to fuck with you.

It just took me almost 1 hour to change a headlight on my Exploder! I had to disconnect the battery, remove the battery, remove the battery tray and it was still a pain the ass to get to the bulb. I can't even see how you would get to the high beam.

Another situation. My neighbor comes over and says he needs a new belt put on his 3800 series Olds. I said sure, no problem. That turned into a 3hr job. I had to take the freakin engine mount off to get the belt on! WTF!

Tell me your experiences with stupid shit that makes you say WTF??!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what year explorer? There are two clips on the outside of the headlamp. unclip them. the bulb can be removed from the front. although I don't know if this is the same on the brand new body style ones. 06 07 I think. did you check for a general maintenance section in the owners manual?

To defend the engineers out there....

Many times designers will go to the engineers and say put this in there or make this look like this. The engineers will warn about possible problems with service but they are mainly overruled so they make it work as they were told no matter what the sacrifices are for service.

When I had the MX-5, the damn oil filter is mounted vertically and it can only be accessed from under the car and it's mounted so far inward that no wrench or strap can be used. You HAVE to use your hand to twist it off and there's no way to stop it from spilling and getting it everywhere due to it's verticalness.

2.4L DOHC.

/thread

Yup. LD9 is pretty much the most god aweful thing ever invented... untill you take it apart a half a dozen times and understand exatly what bolts you have to remove and in what order... and you have to take off the engine mounts for pretty much anything. Removing the oil pan is a pain... someone thought it would be fun to hid a 7mm bolt on the side where you cant see it. Oh and you have remove the entire time housing to swap cams... and to do a gasket... better just to just buy a new one... serisously. I pretty much memorized every size of every bolt on te whole thing, and could do cam swaps in about 4hrs with a lunch break. It was easy after i memorized everyhitng, but very few people will even touch them because they are so fajaggeled together.

When I had the MX-5, the damn oil filter is mounted vertically and it can only be accessed from under the car and it's mounted so far inward that no wrench or strap can be used. You HAVE to use your hand to twist it off and there's no way to stop it from spilling and getting it everywhere due to it's verticalness.

Mines a vertical canaster, and i dont spill it. You just suck.

jones the front bumper on an audi is so easy to take off, its actually easier to do it that way

LOL

I know adam thats the point of my post. Most people don't want to put the car in service mode. But once they do, it is much easier. Everyone is used to just reaching in and doing a timing belt/ ect.

Rear valve cover gasket on a 3800 Series II

In the Grand Prix GT, the alternator bracket hangs over the valve cover, so you can pull the bracket (wich is one with the timing cover and the entire front of the motor requiring the removal of the water pump, crank hub, P/S pump, several gaskets, ect) or take a sawzall and remove the 1" overhang and proceed without issue.