What is wrong with Automotive Engineers?

Boost-n-Juice

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any car that uses the gay ass clips for h7 bulbs. my hyundai has them, but i can get to 3 quick bolts and take out the whole housing in about 45 seconds.

my g/fs mazda3 on the other hand, has the clip, and while installing some HID's, i could not for the life of me get the clip back in correctly. i try to pull the headlight and find there is 1 bolt behind the bumper. 20 min later and the bumper on my garage floor, i had both headlights done in about 15 minutes. bumper back on in another 20 min.

i pray a bulb doesnt burn out for a couple years

LOL

I know adam thats the point of my post. Most people don't want to put the car in service mode. But once they do, it is much easier. Everyone is used to just reaching in and doing a timing belt/ ect.

What is service mode? When it's broken down?

Rear plugs and wires (or head gaskets, or timing belt, or power steering hoses and pump, lol) on a 3.4 DOHC GM engine....intake's coming off for that one. Fuel pump on an 82-up F-body. Definitely enough said about that.........

If I'm correct the 3.4 is setup like the 3.1 and on my wifes Grand Prix we just undid the motor mount and rocked the motor forward.

The battery in a dodge stratus (The one were its down in the wheel well. in the front.

If I'm correct the 3.4 is setup like the 3.1 and on my wifes Grand Prix we just undid the motor mount and rocked the motor forward.

The battery in a dodge stratus (The one were its down in the wheel well. in the front.

Correct, rock the motor and it saves you a ton of time.

No, not the 3.4, or 3400 pushrod engine, the 3.4, VIN X DOHC (4 cams) engine, used from 90-96 in Grand Prix's, Lumina's and Cutlass Supremes only. Only thing the same between the 2 is the short block.

News to me, unfortunately we weren't able to sell a lot of the tune-up stuff recently.

We had a situation on one of our work vehicles, 2005 Trailblazer 4 wheel drive. The exhaust manifold cracked(inline 5 engine) and the GM garage mechanic broke off a bolt in the head trying to remove the manifold. The GM fix was remove the whole body from the frame. What the heck?. The shop said it is easier and quicker to remove the body then the engine in a trailblazer. The whole job was completed in three days and under warranty.

Guest Removed
No, not the 3.4, or 3400 pushrod engine, the 3.4, VIN X DOHC (4 cams) engine, used from 90-96 in Grand Prix's, Lumina's and Cutlass Supremes only. Only thing the same between the 2 is the short block.

on those you still rock the motor forward to change the rear plugs! i made a living working on those engines at gm. along with the quad 4 nightmares!

Seriously, I swear they do stupid shit to fuck with you.

It just took me almost 1 hour to change a headlight on my Exploder! I had to disconnect the battery, remove the battery, remove the battery tray and it was still a pain the ass to get to the bulb. I can't even see how you would get to the high beam.

Another situation. My neighbor comes over and says he needs a new belt put on his 3800 series Olds. I said sure, no problem. That turned into a 3hr job. I had to take the freakin engine mount off to get the belt on! WTF!

Tell me your experiences with stupid shit that makes you say WTF??!!

I didn't think you needed to take the engine mount off, there is another way. But I agree that one is a bitch.

My car is fine to work on. :p

on those you still rock the motor forward to change the rear plugs! i made a living working on those engines at gm. along with the quad 4 nightmares!

Don't you speak of that little engine. I've already mentioned it once, and that is far too many times. I hate, hate, hate it.

Random fact, at Mr. Tire, a water pump paid 7 hrs on that engine.

why didnt they make a acces door on like every car for the fuel pump? If you have an acces door and Fbodies or Foxbody mustangs (cars I've done fuel pumps on) the fuel pump could be switched out in like 10 min, cmon is that too much to ask...

And no im not cutting my own.

Leaking oil pan in a 93-98 Supra TT.... you have to remove the engine to reseal it.

Starter in a 1979 Pinto:

Place jack under oil pan

remove exhaust manifold

remove passenger motor mount

remove starter

Then repeat this three times in one day due to bad starters from AutoZone.

Heater core in 79 Pinto

Remove ENTIRE dash, not just the soft part, the whole thing! 8 hours

Guest Removed
Don't you speak of that little engine. I've already mentioned it once, and that is far too many times. I hate, hate, hate it.

Random fact, at Mr. Tire, a water pump paid 7 hrs on that engine.

the newer ones arent so bad. other then they made 3 different models. one you didnt have to remove the timing cover! on the maunual trans cars , you dont have to remove the exhuast! and most of the time, i could still do one in about 2-3 hours.

v8killer ,most cars anymore you have to remove the dash to do the heater core in.

some pay 8-12 hours, and have to discharge the a/c system etc.

but then most dont know the short cuts that some of us do! after doing it so many times over, or being trained by the automaker. you can almost make it look easy!

Guest Removed
I didn't think you needed to take the engine mount off, there is another way. But I agree that one is a bitch.

My car is fine to work on. :p

true, no need to remove the motor mount. just the spacer and stud at the bottom toward the front! :p

How do you get the spark plug tubes out of the head with there only being like 2 inches between the valve cover and the plenum? The plug wire tubes appeared to be too long for this to happen without breaking them. I had the plenum off my GTP about 50 times and it got to be where I could have it off in about 5 minutes, so I never tried the other way