98 Mustang GT, what to look for??

Dr. Apex

I noticed a 98 GT today at a small dealership and stopped in and drove it. It's a 5 speed, 129k on the odometer, book puts it best price of $7300 retail and they're asking $8k(so we'll work on that). The car is damn clean, not been modified, and ran very good until it sprung a coolant leak on the test drive.

Anything to watch out for with these cars? I really don't know squat about moostangs but it would be a fun car and that's all I'm really looking for. A buddy mentioned his dads car and sisters Crown Vic both had cracked intake manifolds and they weren't cheap to fix.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all.. why would u get a 98 when u could get a 99 (faster/newer look) for about the same price? i bought mine for 8.5k about 2 years ago.

the only prob ive had with mine is the plastic intake manifold. ford recalled these manifolds so it cost me nothing to get it replaced. i think the recall may have expired by now though.

but yea. look for a 99+.

The plastic intake crossover. They make a fix intake, but you might as well do a full PI swap (heads/intake/cams) the parts are $1100 for everything and they make good power afterwards (250ish rwhp with supporting stuff). Stock they are dogs.

Hmm, I knew they were anemic but I didn't have a chance to get into the throttle. What about a same body style Cobra?? Those had more ponies didn't they?? I'll look around for some 99's as well.

Dirtybird, that is a damn nice looking car but I was never a big fan of that bodystyle.

Hmm, I knew they were anemic but I didn't have a chance to get into the throttle. What about a same body style Cobra?? Those had more ponies didn't they?? I'll look around for some 99's as well.

Dirtybird, that is a damn nice looking car but I was never a big fan of that bodystyle.

Not a fan of Foxes?! http://www.columbusracing.com/ubb/eek.gif Shame.

But I'd say 8k is pushing it for that year and mileage, a friend of mine just picked up a '02 GT for around 9k with decent mileage put on her. Car is pretty damn sharp. I'd say just look around it seems that the 99+ GTs can really jump around allot in price at times. Good luck with finding the right one, just takes some searching.

As stated, I would go with 94-95 or 99+. The 96-98's didn't have the best motor build. . . but if you did get it at a REALLY GOOD PRICE (show em 6,800 cash or somewhere around there), you could always do the PI head swap (comes in a kit. . or you can pull the heads/intake setup off a 2004 GT) which will add about 50 or so HP without doing anything else to the motor =)

My .02 for ya. :D

Here's a link to the swap kit, I know a couple people that have done it on their 96-98 with great success.

http://www.parkwayperformance.com/2vheadswap.asp

Get a Cobra if you can afford it. I am biased but i looked at GTs before i bought my cobra and it just wasnt worth it. I bought mine like 5 years ago with the Fikse wheels and 55k for 10.8k just save a bit more if its the body style you like.

Honestly I've never been a fan of mustangs!! But, I want a car with the motor pointed in the right direction and something with some power, though I'm considering a bunch of different cars right now the mustang fits the bill, has some power, and a great aftermarket support so if I find one I like I will pick it up.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to stay away from this particular car and look for a 99 or 94-95 Cobra, the V6 was never on my mind.

As stated, I would go with 94-95 or 99+. The 96-98's didn't have the best motor build. . . but if you did get it at a REALLY GOOD PRICE (show em 6,800 cash or somewhere around there), you could always do the PI head swap (comes in a kit. . or you can pull the heads/intake setup off a 2004 GT) which will add about 50 or so HP without doing anything else to the motor =)

My .02 for ya. :D

Here's a link to the swap kit, I know a couple people that have done it on their 96-98 with great success.

http://www.parkwayperformance.com/2vheadswap.asp

LOL, you shoulda took ur own advice and not have bought an 05 v6 stang :marc: :gay: