98 Mustang GT, what to look for??

Dr. Apex

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben I used to autocross my red 97 Cobra in Street Mod a couple of years ago, then I switched it over to ESP but my priorities shifted and I got rid of it. If you are interested in building a Mustang for autocross you can contact me and I can give you a ton of info as far as parts, classes, update/backdate etc. The great thing about a Mustang is the update/backdate because anything between 94 and 04 is fair game. You may be able to find a 96-98 Cobra for around what that GT is listed at. For any of the 96-98 cars figure on changing the motor mounts. As far as the 96-98 Cobras the 98 was the best followed by the 97 and then the 96. The 96 had some cooling system recalls so if you look at one of those make sure those changes have been done. As mentioned by others, the 96-98 GT is pretty weak but I think any of them could make a great ESP car. The problem with PI swap as far as the SCCA is concerned is that the engine has to be swapped as a complete unit, unless the 99 up GT engines use the same block, crank and pistons as the 96-98 units - and I am not sure this is the case. I do know that in 01 the compression ratio of the GTs increased a slight amount. You may be able to find a 96-98 Cobra for what this GT is listed at.

Ben I used to autocross my red 97 Cobra in Street Mod a couple of years ago, then I switched it over to ESP but my priorities shifted and I got rid of it. If you are interested in building a Mustang for autocross you can contact me and I can give you a ton of info as far as parts, classes, update/backdate etc. The great thing about a Mustang is the update/backdate because anything between 94 and 04 is fair game. You may be able to find a 96-98 Cobra for around what that GT is listed at. For any of the 96-98 cars figure on changing the motor mounts. As far as the 96-98 Cobras the 98 was the best followed by the 97 and then the 96. The 96 had some cooling system recalls so if you look at one of those make sure those changes have been done. As mentioned by others, the 96-98 GT is pretty weak but I think any of them could make a great ESP car. The problem with PI swap as far as the SCCA is concerned is that the engine has to be swapped as a complete unit, unless the 99 up GT engines use the same block, crank and pistons as the 96-98 units - and I am not sure this is the case. I do know that in 01 the compression ratio of the GTs increased a slight amount. You may be able to find a 96-98 Cobra for what this GT is listed at.

The pi swap is common on 94+ 4.6 T-Bird and Cougars, using the stock bottom end. So id imagine it applys to the 96-98 Mustangs.

Thanks Bill, your car actually came to mind a couple times as I remember it when I ran SM that same year. Now the picture of that one Cobra showed a different motor than the GT I looked at, was that a 5.0 on the 94-95 cars??

Rick, while that swap would work fine for the mustang it would move the car into a much tougher class likely. If I find a car I will look into the rules on this as the car I drove(though it was short) felt pretty weak and everyone is reccommending this swap. Honestly I'm not looking to be doing whole engine swaps in a car like this, I will simply look for one that has what I need from the beginning.

8k is too much for that car, like others have stated you can find nicer stangs for less. The 96-98 GT's have gotten a bad rap over the years, but for the money you can get them for they're still a good bang for the buck. Their no 3V GT or LSX car but they can be made pretty quick, and like all late model stangs they are GREAT platforms for drag cars or auto X-ing, probally better than any car out there.

The SN-95 cars (94-98) have nice clean lines and still turn heads. For the right price you can have alot of fun in these cars.

Ofcourse you can always take the path i took w/ my 98 (just sold it), w/ an 03 Mach 1 motor.

Here's a pic of the GT I had:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/joygirl/Nov07014.jpg

If you have the time, I would hold out for a 94- 95 Cobra. I have had both a 94 and a 95 Cobra, and I bought them both for less than $9000. They both had less than 80,000 miles and were in great condition. I just found someone that HAD to sell the car for some reason or another and I was the first person that showed up with the money.

Guest 78novaman

My $0.02: Definitely get a cobra. The IRS is worth it for the twisties.

I'm not a 5.0 guy so a 96-98 cobra would be a good choice for performace/$$$$.

If that is too expensive then get a 99+ GT. 99+ got the PI intake/heads, good for about 260hp, as well as the more aggressive styling update.

Not a mustang, but have you looked into a thunderbird SC? They are about as powerful as a 94-98 GT but has IRS and adjustable shocks from the factory and will out handle any mustang (up to '05) easily.

My $0.02: Definitely get a cobra. The IRS is worth it for the twisties.

I'm not a 5.0 guy so a 96-98 cobra would be a good choice for performace/$$$$.

If that is too expensive then get a 99+ GT. 99+ got the PI intake/heads, good for about 260hp, as well as the more aggressive styling update.

Not a mustang, but have you looked into a thunderbird SC? They are about as powerful as a 94-98 GT but has IRS and adjustable shocks from the factory and will out handle any mustang (up to '05) easily.

He'll only get IRS if he gets a 99+ The 96-98 still had the solid rear axle which I personally like better. IRS is good for the twisties, but I like straight line and the IRS ****s your launch up. Thunderbird SCs are awesome cars. Ive had 2 of them and they will kill that stock 98' stang you looked at.

I won't want the IRS, it's proven to be no faster and those cars are classed the same in SCCA plus they're newer and out of my price range.

A Thunderchicken though?? No thanks, those cars are pigs though I raced one once in my turbo laser and lost by a hair, they're quick in the straight at least, and we all know how factory adjustable suspensions good for the track as you never see a car with them.

I won't want the IRS, it's proven to be no faster and those cars are classed the same in SCCA plus they're newer and out of my price range.

A Thunderchicken though?? No thanks, those cars are pigs though I raced one once in my turbo laser and lost by a hair, they're quick in the straight at least, and we all know how factory adjustable suspensions good for the track as you never see a car with them.

Sam Strano seems to think that the IRS Cobras would make good F-Stock cars but nobody has ever really made a serious run with one other than Dave Schotz. Back in 02 or so Schotz autocrossed an 01 Cobra and came close to winning at nationals but fell short. It was later discovered that he had a blown out shock.

When I prepped my car for ESP I put an IRS in it and was very pleased. I think with the addition of some 4.10 gears and staying on good tires I could have made a run at SM locally. It would have made a great open track car too. If you could find my old car that would be your best bet lol! If I did it over again I would've gotten an 01+ Gt and prepped it for F-stock and raced for a while and then prepped it for ESP. I think that an 01+ GT could compete well enough locally. Or a good strong 96-98 Cobra. Although neither are ideal for F-stock these days.

^Yeah, I hadn't even really been looking for these cars in particular but they are fun and have as much aftermarket as a civic so I knew I could do whatever with it.

Money will be the deciding factor. I've been considering anything from these to LT/LS F-bodies, FC, Conquest, 2.5rs, to some fwd'ers like the Type-R or a clean civic even.

^Yeah, I hadn't even really been looking for these cars in particular but they are fun and have as much aftermarket as a civic so I knew I could do whatever with it.

Money will be the deciding factor. I've been considering anything from these to LT/LS F-bodies, FC, Conquest, 2.5rs, to some fwd'ers like the Type-R or a clean civic even.

I think you should shoot for a Type-R if you could find a decent one.

If I didn't say this before chances are a Mustang older than say 99 needs new motor mounts and possibly rear control arm bushings. I put new motor mounts in my Cobra and it got rid of noises that I thought were caused by other problems. It was like driving a new car. I think they may have improved the mounts in 99. It may just be easier and cheaper to buy replacement upper rear control arms from Maximum Motorsports than replacing the bushings in the old ones.

Also chances are that the stock differential needs rebuilt. I had alot of inside wheel spin even with a fresh diff when I was in street mod. I think this was because of the soft springs and worn out dampers were causing my inside tire to unload. When I prepped the car for ESP I put in a Torsen T2R with 3.55 gears and it was one of the best things I ever did for the car. Oh I wish I had that car back.

I noticed a 98 GT today at a small dealership and stopped in and drove it. It's a 5 speed, 129k on the odometer, book puts it best price of $7300 retail and they're asking $8k(so we'll work on that). The car is damn clean, not been modified, and ran very good until it sprung a coolant leak on the test drive.

Anything to watch out for with these cars? I really don't know squat about moostangs but it would be a fun car and that's all I'm really looking for. A buddy mentioned his dads car and sisters Crown Vic both had cracked intake manifolds and they weren't cheap to fix.

I am selling my Black 1999 GT only a K&N filter, about 75K miles for $8K but i'm willing to negotiate.

as stated, stay away from '96-'98's they were/are the most anemic, gutless mustangs, since 1984--seriously. 215 very overrated hp, with zero, i repeat zero potential without a head swap. and that one is WAY overpriced. run my friend, run

my stock 98GT went 14.55@97mph that's better than alot of stock 5.0L's ever were. Went 13.36@101 with gears and bolt ons, only PI parts were cams and intake. would have went 12's with headers and a tune . . . but a drunk driver hit me and changed all that.

A 98 vs any stock 5.0 (outher than a notch) IMO is a drivers race.