how to get a puppy to stop biting

Chad is Dead

I recently bought a black lab puppy and so far she has been amazing about potting training and everything else except she gets a little mouthy and nibbles and sometimes bites hands and stuff. I've tried multiple things that I looked up online and she is definately better but I want her to not bite at or nibble at all. Any ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, you don't want to discipline them by smacking their nose (for any offense). My neighbor is a professional obedience trainer and she has told me that when people smack their dog's nose, this creates a defense mechanism in which they will see anything coming at their face as aggression and will cause them to bite even more in defense.

firm no. smack on the butt. also try when they bite shoving your hand further into their mouth this makes biting unfavorable for them.

First off, dogs need to be corrected, not punished, so don't listen to this guy.

Anyway, is the pup biting/nibbling aggressively or trying to chew on things playfully? Puppies DO like to chew and that's why a lot of puppies stay with their mothers for several months. Make sure it has plenty of it's own safe chew toys for it to have fun with. When she nibbles on something make it clear that it is yours and what she is doing is not acceptable, but no hitting or nonsense like that.

Now, if she is biting out of aggression you should socialize her. Bring her places with you and have friends' dogs play with her.

First off, dogs need to be corrected, not punished, so don't listen to this guy.

Anyway, is the pup biting/nibbling aggressively or trying to chew on things playfully? Puppies DO like to chew and that's why a lot of puppies stay with their mothers for several months. Make sure it has plenty of it's own safe chew toys for it to have fun with. When she nibbles on something make it clear that it is yours and what she is doing is not acceptable, but no hitting or nonsense like that.

Now, if she is biting out of aggression you should socialize her. Bring her places with you and have friends' dogs play with her.

Definatly encourage chewing on PROPER items. :)

Kongs are great, they have small ones for puppies and they are virtually indestructable.

Tennis balls, raquette balls..

NO RAW HIDE. Their teeth arent made for that yet.

I highly encourage a puppy training class of some sort. Pet Smart has one for 99$ for six weeks of class (2 hours, 1 day a week, usually)

Puppies chew.

Completely agree with the below. Kongs with treats inside work great. Encourage chewing on toys by saying a firm NO then offering a rubber bone, toy, etc.

It's tough and requires the patients of a parent with a little baby. I would not recommend any physical smacks.

Definatly encourage chewing on PROPER items. :)

Kongs are great, they have small ones for puppies and they are virtually indestructable.

Tennis balls, raquette balls..

NO RAW HIDE. Their teeth arent made for that yet.

I highly encourage a puppy training class of some sort. Pet Smart has one for 99$ for six weeks of class (2 hours, 1 day a week, usually)

Puppies chew.

an employee i work with has a neopolitan mastiff,and it bit his friend in the stomach.

he took it to

circleville pet services,put him in a 3 week boot camp,and the trainer there did wonders with this dog.

i have a pic of him having about 10 different bully breeds that were there for biting,and he had them all laying on their individual pads,and behaving themselves.

he even ran a vacuum cleaner around them,and they didnt move.

he would only need your pup for a week,and he'd be fine.

I've got claymores for them, and hybrid racoons. A gentle smack to the snout and a nice loud NO, got all my puppies to stop that biting crap. It takes a few weeks to break them completely.

Oh my dog fears me, don't get me wrong, all I have to do is say her name loud and she knows she is in trouble. She just wants to see what she can get away with all the time. She is a good dog she tackles me at the front door like Dino does to Fred Flinstone when I come home.

firm no. smack on the butt. also try when they bite shoving your hand further into their mouth this makes biting unfavorable for them.

I hope you never ever ever fucking own a single dog thats larger then a pug. Using agression towards any larger dog is BAD.

I NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER Hit my Bull. I correct him with domianace and vocal. Thats it. I put him on his side from time to time but I can do it with almost no force. Usally If I just tell him to go down and over he lays there puts his head down in a completely submissive fashion.

Please go if you have a dog and put it up for adoption.

This is a very simple thing to fix. Offer your hand, when she bits, pinch with your thumb under her tongue and your fingers outside of her mouth under her chin. Like you are picking up a Bass.

she doesn't need to yelp, but be firm and make her want it to stop, she will back away and open her mouth. Tell her "No Bite"

Keep at it, everyone in the family needs to do it.

Labs have to bite things, they have to, they are mouthy dogs.

Never ever give your dog rawhide, unless you want a very expensive trip to the vet. Soak a rawhide chewy in water and watch it swell up, then imagine the rawhide they swallow.

Go buy a Kong, put some pnut butter in it, that is what they can chew on.