Dont you regret it?

HotCarl

Guest 614Streets
Ok, after reading the "how much do you have in your car" thread I have to ask. Doesnt anyone ever regret it?

For all the thousand's and thousand's of dollars spent doesnt anyone ever realize that "hey I could've saved that money bought a house, or invested in my retirement, or saved for my kids college education, etc..."??? I mean we can all admit that this hobby is an expensive one. But hell I use to think Hockey was an expensive hobby to get into its nothing compared to this.

Reason why I ask is because after a while of not having a car that was worth modifying I picked up a car that was. The first question I had from people was, "what are you going to do to it" NOTHING, Im keeping the damn thing stock. I bought this car because I've always loved the body style and always wanted this car. I dont know I guess I just cant see myself spending 10 grand on something that Im not really going to benefit from in the long run. Maybe Im just getting old?

Its a constructive hobby. Crazy expensive and with little rewards. I struggle because I hate being judged for something I drive yet it happens , and on the other hand when credit is due it real good to absorb any respect being thrown your way if its from someone who knows what its like to build a machine up and throw thousands of dollors "away".

It a great hobby for youth, Id rather have my kid spend his dough on a car and create a good social enviorment than to toss it to drugs and alcohol or strip clubs etc.

Also in a sick way money doesnt mean the best its all in the creativity and shopping. I won a gm crate motor on ebay for $65 in winter 2002 on christmas eve , theres fun to be had in shopping for deals , of course that not refering to cheaply made and rust prone parts lol.

I currently don't belive it has been worth it honestly despite things like mentioned above , but for me that due to outside things and zero seat time in many years. Gas prices and the future of gasoline doesnt help much either.

Im sure it'll be be relived when Im back in the saddle.

i build all my shit cheap and usually make a profit, i buy a beater, set a goal for e.t and work on it, my capri went 13's for less then a grand invested.....ive only lost money on one car so i don't really know.. my newest project will be around for a while since i had the kids i will be building it alot slower

yes, I have regrets... I've spent entirely too much money on a vehicle that I put less than 1k miles a year on... looking back, if I would have not bought the car + mods I would have a very large chunk of change in my pocket that would come in handy right now with the wedding and house sales.

I don't see why someone would regret spending money on they're hobby.

Sure they could. If you're spending thousands of dollars on your car instead of putting it towards your 401K, I'd regret that. It's all about priority and sometimes, your priorities change.

Its good to have something to fall back on when you are 60, but I want to be able to enjoy myself while I'm young also. Vacations, unneeded road trips, video games, big tv's, new cars, name brand food, multiple guns, houses with a guest bedroom, animals, etc... These are all things that cost people a lot of money over time that could be put into a retirement, yet you rarely here people say they regret them. Think about how much money you could have saved. Think about that $500 you threw away in Vegas.. think about that good looking girl that you took to dinner 6 times before you realized she wasnt going to give you any booty. If you dont plan on selling your hobby then who cares if it loses monetary value. The real value is what it means to you, the stress it helps you eliminate, and that place you can always go to get away from it all.

My point is that you can always find something that everyone does with their money that they dont have/need to. Some spend it on women, some take $4000 vacations, and some like to be able to open their garage door and see their hard work in real time. It's up to the person.

Its good to have something to fall back on when you are 60, but I want to be able to enjoy myself while I'm young also. Vacations, unneeded road trips, video games, big tv's, new cars, name brand food, multiple guns, houses with a guest bedroom, animals, etc... These are all things that cost people a lot of money over time that could be put into a retirement, yet you rarely here people say they regret them. Think about how much money you could have saved. Think about that $500 you threw away in Vegas.. think about that good looking girl that you took to dinner 6 times before you realized she wasnt going to give you any booty. If you dont plan on selling your hobby then who cares if it loses monetary value. The real value is what it means to you, the stress it helps you eliminate, and that place you can always go to get away from it all.

My point is that you can always find something that everyone does with their money that they dont have/need to. Some spend it on women, some take $4000 vacations, and some like to be able to open their garage door and see their hard work in real time. It's up to the person.

Well said.

I have a house, 2 others cars, a retiremement fund, my family is taken care of, and I'm incredibly good looking... so no

+1 here.

this thread needs to ask my wife if she regrets all the money she has in shoes, designer jeans, and purses.

i could afford to do much more if i wanted to right now with my cars/new cars---most of my money is invested for retirement, and my 6 month old twins' education--family first

life is fleeting, it may end tomorrow.

should of, would of, could of will not describe me on my death bed.

been there, done that, is all i want to say.

i will never put a price tag on my youth and fun.

i will do whatever it takes to remain happy and live my life, whether it be long or short, to the very fullest.