What is the best shop for Stangs?

Rhett

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bu now I have a question for Brian and LaSota, I want to run a nitrious set up this summer at least a 150 shot perf. a 200shot.

-Rhett

DEFINATELY get a built block for that car if you'll be running that big of a hit of nitrous. On a returnless system, running a wet kit that draws fuel from the rails, you usually only want to go with a 75 or maybe 100 shot. If you go bigger, it'll drain the lines when the nitrous hits and you'll get a lean/rich/lean/rich oscillation condition until it stabilizes. We can help this with a tune, but not make it go totally away because it is a physical problem. This can be minimized/eliminated by using an accumulator - essentially a teeny 'tank' that is added to the rail that will add fuel volume and lessen the impact of the fuel 'hit'. I think Nitrous Express sells them. I have also heard of people running a seperate pump and lines for big nitrous shots. I'd also run a window switch to turn it on at a specific RPM and shut it off before it hits the rev limiter. You never want to hit the limiter when spraying - very bad things happen. Make sure you have a decent fuel pump, like a focus pump with maybe a BAP. Run copper plugs gapped to 0.028 for the nitrous. Be sure your clutch and drivetrain can handle it too.

Hope this helps,

Don

I have been working with Mike Ward at his east shop for over a year on my two stangs, a 89 5.0 that is a solid street car running low 12's (remember, daily driver) and a just finished auto to 5 speed conversion & tune in my 97 vert.

Mike is honest and his prices are reasonable. He has a new dyno that the 97 has been on and the difference is unreal. Hard to believe what a basic street tune can do for a 4.6.

I'm planning on a 347 bottom end for the 5.0 this fall and Mike and I have spent at least an hour talking about what to build. He's a good guy and money isn't always the bottom line there... he always has, or gets the answers for me.

Just my 2 cents. I'm a happy customer.

Ron

I have been working with Mike Ward at his east shop for over a year on my two stangs, a 89 5.0 that is a solid street car running low 12's (remember, daily driver) and a just finished auto to 5 speed conversion & tune in my 97 vert.

Mike is honest and his prices are reasonable. He has a new dyno that the 97 has been on and the difference is unreal. Hard to believe what a basic street tune can do for a 4.6.

I'm planning on a 347 bottom end for the 5.0 this fall and Mike and I have spent at least an hour talking about what to build. He's a good guy and money isn't always the bottom line there... he always has, or gets the answers for me.

Just my 2 cents. I'm a happy customer.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I have sent Mike a PM about some Ideas and what Ideas he has.... I am looking to go to him or Brian. But From what I have heard Mike seems like a cool dude and I was talking to Pete ricart about geting me parts the other day and he Recomended him. Once I meet him Im shure I will be fine with him doing my work. Its like choosing a doctor to deliver your child. LOL

-Rhett

I'm sorry to hear you and Randy were not able to work out your tune. However, I somewhat remember your situation and some of the problems you were having. It was back in the Hensler Racing days, if memory serves me right.

I just wanted to say my experience with Randy has been very different. He and I have been tuning together for about three years now. He has NEVER let me down. He is a wealth of knowledge and works his a_ _ off. He's my guy, as they say. I wish I could afford to have him with me full time. Until then I'll take as much of his time as I can get.

If we can ever help you in the future, we would welcome the opportunity. However, I don't want to imply that I am taking anything away from any other shop owner. Bottom line for me is this, most guys in this business are good at what they do. I try to find someone I trust and I have a good working relationship with and stick with that guy.

I have used Lasota Randy and Brian....only one seemed to be able to get it right and it was Brian. He will take the time that is needed.

I lost my stock engine due to Randy's tuning. You can read about it in this thread. I for sure never told him to tune it to only last 1 pass. I wasn't going to post this link. I did ask randy to edit the post below. I did tell him if he didn't I would post this link. So here you go.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=617325

That’s funny Eddie, I remember right at 400rwhp saying to you the bottom end wasn't going to hold the pressure and all you said was give it all I can and you hoped it would last at least one run. Also, I told you I wanted to see the rod bearings from every other rod and the spark plugs. Your motor didn't blow because of anything tuning related. It blown because you made physically to much power for the OEM Ford internal parts to stay together, so don't BS everyone for your lack of paying attention and listening when someone warns you. I also recall you having me tune the car after Hensler built you a new motor. Remember the RX7 store and before we even got started Larry pointed out to you the car was pouring white smoke out one side. I seen you at Henslers place after that and you said the rear two cylinders on the same side had 20% leak down and we still made good horsepower.

Don't run my name in the dirt because you expected way to much from your stock motor, and the second time around the motor had two dead cylinders.

Jason, I'm truly sorry you weren’t pleased, however if you had James work on your car and there was a mechanical problem with your car that would have been between you and James. I never heard anything about any problems though; the story would have been different.

I lost my stock engine due to Randy's tuning.

I dont know you eddie from anythign other then what you post on here, but seems like everything is someone elses fault even though they worn you or anything. your tranny pops in mind and now this.??

Come on Eddie, stop emailing me with threats!! I have read your post and no one in them was there that day and seen the car go from 19deg to 21deg and pick up 9 ft/lbs. When are you going to reach the reality that you made your own mind up as the future of your motor. If you have the parts all together from your blown motor why have I never heard about it, or seen it?? You posted before no one would touch your motor after you had it built? Why did you ask me to do it? Did you say this in your other post because you lied in this one?? One thing you can ask anyone about me is I don’t LIE!! I will tell you how it is. Eddie I have people pull up my driveway all the time and want a tune, drive away happy then two weeks earlier post on here that someone else had there car on a dyno and how they made more power, what the f$@k did you expect from a base tune? I tell my customers the truth of what I do, I know all about saving pennies for parts and having to spend an arm and leg to have it tuned. Post what you like…It is a free country last time I checked.

I will say personally that Randy has had a hand in tuning my car. He's been very professional and up-front about everything, and prior to the current posts, has done one heluva job with tuning around the area and more, even with the Jegs race team cars.

I cannot speak for your situation, Eddie, but will say Randy has been an asset to the tuning community both as a tuner and a mentor.

Eddie, do you wake up a dumbass or is it something that progressively grows as the day goes on? Only car I had ever go on the dyno was an old fox. After the first pull oil pressure dropped to 32psi, I offered the owner the same courtesy I offered to you. He choose to “pull it one more time”, however unlike you he was man enough to come back and say he should have listened. Again, Eddie you weren’t listening then either.

In your links you never say that you asked me to give it all I could. When you push ANY motor especially the 2V you can lug it once and it is done, and Eddie I seen you shift. Also, when you add 2 degrees to a motor and torque increases by 9ft/lbs. the motor liked it. I didn’t see any of the experts in those links respond to that. So what you are saying is after the RX7 store were your motor was hurt before you even got in the parking lot due to the white smoke, and after the 6 (I believe) vacuum leaks you said you found after the fact you took it out to Brian’s and it was fat with no timing. I won’t go into how many different ways EFI judges timing and air/fuel and how vacuum leaks can make a good tune go bad and white smoke is not really good, wait you wouldn’t listen anyways. Instead of calling me after Brian’s or for that fact after you found the vacuum leaks you would rather take your car to yet another tuner (your on three know aren’t you?) and wait for moments like this to bash me for decisions you made.

Let’s also let everyone know I only charged you $100 to tune your car the first time, you seemed like a cool guy who just wanted to go fast…that’s always cool in my book. I didn’t ask for anything the second time I tuned it, I figured you lived and learned…so I think I was pretty good to you Eddie. I guess some people just will do anything to have a story to tell.

You also wanted to know why I didn’t post anything in some of those links back then….look around to any site you want and see how often I’m on the net, I tune cars nearly every night or A race track. If people want to know me they call me, not post on the web, mainly because I’m not there.

I’m done! This wasn’t my thread to begin with…

I don't know anyone involved in the drama above ^^^ so I can't speak on behalf of them. But my vote goes to Dyno Tune Performance! Brian has tuned my 3800 with great results and I've seen him get the same kind of results out of other cars too. He's very fair to do business with and will take the time to tell you what's going on with your car if you want to learn.