For the Stangs... and who ever. What to do with $6k

Rhett

$6,000 into modifications to make power will lead to another $6,000 in making the rest of the drivetrain handle the power, folowed by $3,000 to make the chassis handle it. Then follow that up with another $6,000 once you have a strong drivetrain and the power you have isnt enough.

I would suggest a supercharger with 6-7psi and call it a day with money left over.

What he said :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I have a 2002 GT and I'm in the same boat as you. I just paid off my car and looking to take it to the next level. I researched everything and I'm going to do my upgrades in stages. But the first stage is boost.

Sure you can get a basic Vortech kit for about 3k that includes everything except an intercooler. You can do intercooling chemical or custom air/air intercooler so you are looking at around $3.4k minus the tuning.

I decided to do the Kenne Bell 2.1L intercooled 9psi kit to start. Yeah, it's $5k, but it's good for 650whp maxed out so when I get a forged shortblock I can go a little nuts. But 9psi should put me around 400whp. I have all the bolt-ons right now, longtube headers, upper plenum, 75mm RB, underdrive, ignition, 4.10's, and soon an electric water pump.

There is nothing like the instant boost and unbelievable torque at low RPM's like a roots or twin screw blower can deliver. It is worth the extra money, PLUS you can up the boost later! That' my plan for my Stang.

I would recommend suspension rest of bolt ons a good tune and nitrous. Oh and get the hood fixed........

Yea... Ordering the new hood next week, the its going to clifford to get the rust fixed and A nice new coat put on it.

Ya i was going to say, if you want to go to the track 400-450hp will make for a pretty trap speed but without a good suspension and driveline will be wasted money.

with that much power you need at least drag radials, then a clutch or an axle is going to go after a while, even with stock power. Once the rearend is solid and you have a good clutch , time to eliminate that wheel hop, control arms & shocks, you s hould really reinforce the tourque boxes at this point. Weld in a set of subframe connectors. You have about you have spent about 2500 if you do most of the work yourself but at this point you have a good foundation for around 400HP, the good news is you should be in low 13's with all this without touching the motor.

by the way, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Roth IRA is calling. Your not going to be 20 forever.

360 Modena later > 11 second stang now.

If your dead set on dumping 6k into a 10k car, Your largest gain in power will be with a turbo kit. Bolt it on- add 150+whp at all times, and spend the other 2500 on suspension components.

Dude, I have a 2002 GT and I'm in the same boat as you. I just paid off my car and looking to take it to the next level. I researched everything and I'm going to do my upgrades in stages. But the first stage is boost.

Sure you can get a basic Vortech kit for about 3k that includes everything except an intercooler. You can do intercooling chemical or custom air/air intercooler so you are looking at around $3.4k minus the tuning.

I decided to do the Kenne Bell 2.1L intercooled 9psi kit to start. Yeah, it's $5k, but it's good for 650whp maxed out so when I get a forged shortblock I can go a little nuts. But 9psi should put me around 400whp. I have all the bolt-ons right now, longtube headers, upper plenum, 75mm RB, underdrive, ignition, 4.10's, and soon an electric water pump.

There is nothing like the instant boost and unbelievable torque at low RPM's like a roots or twin screw blower can deliver. It is worth the extra money, PLUS you can up the boost later! That' my plan for my Stang.

Be aware of some issues with the KB kits on the 2v cars, they bypass draws from one bank which causes the trims to be off excessively. We have successfully tuned a handful of them however there are more we had to work around because closed loop wasn't going to work when the trims are pegged in opposite directions. KB doesn't accept this as a problem but it is and the cause is very obvious and very difficult to fix.

Ok from someone who has way more then 6k in his GT.....save the money! It will be a never ending cycle of fixing stuff.And mark this down as the only time i will ever agree with RL.More power = more breakage =more money.6k turns into 20k and you still wont be happy.

Roth IRA is calling. Your not going to be 20 forever.

360 Modena later > 11 second stang now.

If your dead set on dumping 6k into a 10k car, Your largest gain in power will be with a turbo kit. Bolt it on- add 150+whp at all times, and spend the other 2500 on suspension components.

+1

INVEST the money.....PERIOD!

It's going to cost you way more in the end if you slap a blower or turbo on the stock bottom end. Not to mention a built motor won't leave you much $$$ left for power adders unless you up the spray and how long is that going to last. You are either going to sink $15-20k+ into a $10k car or you could save the money + the money from your next depolyment to set yourself up for life. The more you invest now the better off you'll be at 35, 40, 45, etc...

Used Kenne Bell 1.7 or s-trim for around 3k for the whole setup. I bought one for my 01 GT that came with the IC, injectors, BAP, ect...Made over 400whp on Brian's dyno and was plenty fast. Put a clutch in it, put it on a diet and you will beat MOST of the cars on this forum.

Used Kenne Bell 1.7 or s-trim for around 3k for the whole setup. I bought one for my 01 GT that came with the IC, injectors, BAP, ect...Made over 400whp on Brian's dyno and was plenty fast. Put a clutch in it, put it on a diet and you will beat MOST of the cars on this forum.

What else Did you have done.... Heads, Block ne thing let me know I may be looking more into this. 3k sound like a good deal too. Where di you find this at??? And do you still have it by chance?

I dont still have the kit. Search modularfords.com, svtperformance, stangnet...all of them. There are always used kits on there for sale. I had no bottom end/headwork done. Midpipe, catback, 90mm maf, 40lb injector, ect. Made 420rwp/410wtq Im pretty sure. Good luck, and dont waste 6k on that car please.

1:00 and 2:10 minutes in, results of me vs kenne bell GT. when i was bone stock.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Corvette-camaro-trans-am-cobra-kenne-bell-GT_115592.htm

That is the hand-me-down kit after I sold the car. I trapped 113.xx with that exact setup. Im not a good driver, and the guy in the blue car is even worse. Its not the fastest thing in the world, but its just hard to justify spending any more on a 2v Mustang.

1:00 and 2:10 minutes in, results of me vs kenne bell GT. when i was bone stock.

What did your car run in the 1/4. I don't care about street racing. My car n/a beat stock 03-04 cobra's at the track.

Here is good reading on the cobra engine.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12489&highlight=engine+failure