Few pics of Mark's Z06

Turbotrio

Those poor Z06's were ruined with autos....but to each their own.

Nice pics Jeff.

Driveability. I wouldn't say replacing a non driveable clutch with a driveable automatic ruins the car. In fact, I'd say it makes the car. A lot of people are unhappy after they modify their cars because driveability is poor. Our goal from the very begining was to make the cars drive like stock and to be as quite as possible. Hell if the Twin Turbo kit didn't come with an exhaust, I would have kept the stock exhaust.

The problem with keeping the manual transmission is finding a clutch that can hold the power. Once you find that clutch, it will likely shake and make a lot of noise when not engaged, when you do engage it is likely to squeel, and will also be very on or off. Which in turn makes it very difficult to drive. Then these clutches have a tendancy to still go out quite regularly. I personally saw no benifit in keeping the manual transmission, not even cost wise as the conversion was only $500 more then upgrading the same components in a manual transmission.

As for roll racing, I know autos get a bad wrap for this and rightfully so, but we are using a boost controller that can control boost by gear and a lock up converter which should make the cars pull extremely hard in 3rd.

Why do it to a Z06? Why did you do a Corvette? Could have got a Pinto and run faster then your Corvette for 1/10th the price. ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the dual-plate clutches, such as what will be in the new ZR1. That seems to be the logical street solution to holding power (not saying use the ZR1 clutch, but an aftermarket dual-plate alternative).

Mark had one in his car last year that lasted exactly 2 days of actual driving the car hard (After a 500+ mile break-in). Exedy did send us a new one and are in the process of releasing the "Re-design" now so they will presumably be better soon.

However, that doesn't change the fact that anything short of the Triple-Carbon ($$$) that was in Tilleys car wouldnt last a weekend...

Jeff

I had the acclained Exedy twin disc in my car before and after 8 passes and 1k miles it was done! That was with ONLY 543RWHP and 515lbs TQ. So now lets double that and you tell me what will hold it. The tripple carbon clutch would have been around $4500 by itself and everyone says it sucks to drive.

I like to drive my car and I can guarantee you will see it out more than almost any other 1000+RWHP car! (other than Jason's)

We didn't just walk into IPS and say hey um throw a bunch of shit together cause "I wanna go fast", we did tons of research, then some more and then asked Brandon to do it all over again just to make sure we knew what we were getting into.

What it all comes down to is this... we wanted two of the baddest, fastest, street driven Z06's in the country.

Why not a standard C6? Cause it has been done and I already had and love my C6Z. And lets all be honest. Those of you who have a C6 wouldn't you have bought the C6Z if you could have? No offense but the C6Z just looks better, and is a better platform to work from. Yeah I could have got a C6 and bought the conversion for the wide body, the different facias and all the other stuff, but I also could have bought a Fiero and put the Ferrari Testarosa conversion kit on it too, but at the end of the day it would have just been a Fiero.

And the real answer to why is...

BECAUSE I CAN!

I'll say going from a Manual to an automatic was the best move I ever made in my turbo car. Made it MUCH faster and more drivable. That and I don't have to pay $400 every 5,000 miles to have my clutch rebuilt.

Thanks for all the cool comments... Yeah, both are going to get cages next year. We are going to have custom cages built in the cars so that they aren't so intrusive. We did go with all SFI stuff so that we would be that much closer to NHRA legal when the time comes.

I am excited about the auto and not having to buy clutches anymore. It should also make the car much more streetable.

More to come.

• 1 month later...

I can take a few pics of it like the ones from last year if you want. I just got back from NY yesterday and am still playing a ton of catch-up but if that is what you are looking for I will find some time to take a few new ones :)

Jeff

Sick pics - the one with the orange background is the hottness. :cool:

quoted for truth.

my one and only issue with the new vette is that i think i would prefer either a jeweled or smoked area around the headlights, instead of color matched.

quoted for truth.

my one and only issue with the new vette is that i think i would prefer either a jeweled or smoked area around the headlights, instead of color matched.

I seen one like what you are thinking. And personally i didnt like the look in person i liked the color match better. The smoked actually imo almost made me think it was breaking up the lines on the car if that makes sense.