Recon for the West Trip in 2009

Earache

Had some vacation time to kill so I saddled up the entire family,(that'd be me and the wife) and headed West.

Crossing Texas is never fun......

IMG_2128Large.jpg

IMG_2129Large.jpg

IMG_2132Large.jpg

Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo. Just plain weird....

IMG_2133Large.jpg

IMG_2134Large.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This confirms it; we're definitely not going this route next summer! It starts to get a little better as we crossed into New Mexico. Mesas start to pop up and the hills begins to roll....

IMG_2138Large.jpg

IMG_2140Large.jpg

IMG_2145Large.jpg

We dump the bags i nthe room and head down the street to our all time favorite restaurant for some chow. I had the enchiladas slatered with green and red chiles...

IMG_2152Large.jpg

While the wife had the stuffed poblano with red and green chiles...

IMG_2151Large.jpg

Had to have a few cold ones to put the fire out...

IMG_2149Large.jpg

IMG_2153Large.jpg

More pics later today. I'm off to recon some good roads to ride and better places to eat for next summer's trip out here.

More as it happens..........

Gracious of you to take one for the team Eric, using your vacation to do all this "dirty work"!! ;)

Anyway, the next day and we're up and at'em early. Not hard to do when there's a 2 hour time difference.

The wife wnats some breakfast, but I'm in no mood to eat as I'm still suffering from last night. So we head to the hotel restaurant for some breakfast for her and a nice, cold Coke for me.

Cool hotel. The front canopy looks better at night..

IMG_2183Large.jpg

Old Mexican doors all over the place...

IMG_2184Large.jpg

IMG_2185Large.jpg

Lobby area..

IMG_2190Large.jpg

IMG_2186Large.jpg

Down the hall and past the courtyard towards the restaurant...

IMG_2182Large.jpg

IMG_2179Large.jpg

IMG_2181Large.jpg

IMG_2168Large.jpg

Judy has the Huevos Rancheros. Eggs covered with more red and green chili. My bunghole was burning just looking at it....

IMG_2171Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Food outta the way and we're off to walk through the town square and look at some shops. Wifey wants some kimd of ring for Xmas and she's on the hunt for some shit I can't afford.

Outside fo the hotel, this is actualkly one of the oldest buildings in Santa Fe and was once part of the Ortiz home...

IMG_2193Large.jpg

Cool architecture all over town...

IMG_2195Large.jpg

IMG_2201Large.jpg

IMG_2200Large.jpg

We walk past this parking garage on the way to town. Every year for the past 5-6 years, this bike(VFR) has been sitting here. It never moves, they don't tow it, it just sits. I always take a pic of it...

IMG_2196Large.jpg

The town square is cool. Lined by stores around the perimeter, the square is always full of people. One side fo the square is reserved for the Indians to sell their goods. They sit with their wares spread out before them on the sidewalk. Doesn't look like a lot of fun when it's 20 F outside...

IMG_2198Large.jpg

IMG_2206Large.jpg

IMG_2207Large.jpg

A lot of stores are open air type - crap just strewn along the buildings...

IMG_2203Large.jpg

IMG_2202Large.jpg

Thing had a top speed of 18 mph and only went about 20 miles out of town on the three hour ride.

IMG_2231Large.jpg

Interior was clean, but ol;d and kinda moldy smelling. Probably wasn't any better back in the day...

IMG_2236Large.jpg

IMG_2238Large.jpg

IMG_2242Large.jpg

Toiday we're off in the rent-a-racer to drive a few new roads in preparation for the next year's ride out here. There are some ghost towns that I want to go through again and some other stuff as well. Hopefully I'll find some new roads worth riding.

More pics later..........