Recon for the West Trip in 2009

Earache

Cruised south in search of fun roads to ride. I even found a cool bar to hang out at after the ride. I present to you; Mary's Bar in Cerillos...

IMG_2275Large.jpg

Once you get past the dirt streets, wandering dogs and lack of people, it's a cool litle town...

IMG_2276Large.jpg

IMG_2277Large.jpg

IMG_2280Large.jpg

They have a Catholic Church intown, so there's gotta be people here on Sunday....

IMG_2278Large.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enough off-roading in the rent-a-racer, let's get back to some tarmac. We continue our recon and find some good roads to ride that I haven't been on before...

IMG_2308Large.jpg

IMG_2313Large.jpg

Old,bombed out adobe buildings from days gone by are everywhere.

IMG_2322Large.jpg

I just love checking out old buildings along the way; to look at their construction methods, to wonder what happened to them and to just be nosy...

IMG_2297Large.jpg

IMG_2298Large.jpg

IMG_2299Large.jpg

IMG_2300Large.jpg

IMG_2307Large.jpg

Most were made during the 1860's by miners duirng the silver and gold rush. Crudely made from local materials. You have to admire the fact that they made bricks from the dirt and doors and windows from scraps of wood that they found.

We drive into Las Vegas (no, not that Las Vegas - the New Mexico one) for some lunch. This town was built duirng the gold rush as well and hasn't changed much at all. It'd be a tourist mecca if it were in the east, but towns like this are all over the place out here so it's just another small town.

IMG_2325Large.jpg

IMG_2326Large.jpg

We fall in to the Plaza Hotel's bar for ssome chow..

IMG_2327Large.jpg

Ya gotta love the horseshoe bar stools...

IMG_2328Large.jpg

IMG_2329Large.jpg

IMG_2330Large.jpg

IMG_2333Large.jpg

We're late eaters and lotsof the places ahve closed early due to the weather. But we find a cozy bar to plop into for drinks and chow...

More food pics - I love the food here, always hot and spicy - started withthe cheese and bacon filled jalapenos. Hotter than shit!

IMG_2375Large.jpg

I have the blue corn chicken enchiladas slathered with the requisite red and green chiles...

IMG_2376Large.jpg

The wife had a burger. A fuckin' burger! No food pictures for you!

We amble across the street after dinner and into the La Fonda's Hotel bar

(see http://www.lafondasantafe.com/foodbev/lounge.html ) so I can get a few more beers in me because I just haven't had enough these past few days. Judy opts for some spiced rum or some girly shit like that...

IMG_2377Large.jpg

Self portrait in t he bar mirror...

IMG_2380Large.jpg

IMG_2382Large.jpg

Nice place...

IMG_2383Large.jpg

IMG_2386Large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much else to do today so the wofe and I head up into the hills and to Los Alamos. Great scenery with the show covered hills on the horizon.

I want this guy's house - what views!

IMG_2430Large.jpg

IMG_2431Large.jpg

IMG_2434Large.jpg

IMG_2438Large.jpg

IMG_2440Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Christmas Day and we're leaving Santa Fe and driving around 420 miles north to Gateway, Colorado. Should take about 6 hours of driving through some of the best scenery in the USA.

Leaving Santa Fe, it's bright and sunny...

IMG_2442Large.jpg

IMG_2443Large.jpg

IMG_2445Large.jpg

IMG_2449Large.jpg

About 50 miles north and it starts to cloud up -nasty looking, dark blue clouds that tend to hold a lot of moisture...

IMG_2456Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

It snowed 23" this day. We passed a piece of equipment parked off the side of the road - look at the snow piled up on the mast of the truck...

IMG_2501Large.jpg

IMG_2500Large.jpg

IMG_2502Large.jpg

We didn't stop to take any pics as I wasn't sure I could get moving again. The snow plows were the only other vehicles out this day, but we only saw them about once every other hour or so.

Edited by Earache

It's getting quite dark and I'm beginning to think that putting my wife in danger of being stranded on the rural roads wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done...

IMG_2503Large.jpg

IMG_2504Large.jpg

IMG_2505Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Even a deer taking refuge under a tree looked at me as if to say "what the fuck are you doing out here?"...

IMG_2509Large.jpg

IMG_2510Large.jpg

IMG_2511Large.jpg

Just at dusk, the sun peeked out from under the clouds to give us the last glimmer of light before nightfall....

IMG_2512Large.jpg

We crept along at 15 mph during the whiteout portionsof the storm, barely able to see the sign posts on the road and made it to gateway, Colorado...in 13 hours. Never wanna do that again.

Edited by Earache

The next day dawns bright and sunny, we're at our favorite place in the World; Gateway!

IMG_2553Large-1.jpg

This place is owned by John Hendricks; founder of the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, the Military Channel and loads of other channels I don't watch. He loved the area and built this first class hotel here as there isnt' another hotel - or anything else for that matter - within 75 miles.

It has a gas station, grocery store, car museum, spa, horse stables and loads of other stuff.

And we are the only ones here!