cheapest honda sport bike

hpfiend

hey guys

Whats the cheapest honda sport bike? I guess 90s or newer? Maybe late 80s?

I don't really have intentions of becoming a motorcyle rider-

I just love their power to weight ratio and the fact that its all there and accessible as far as the mechanicals...

Ideally I would want one with a broken/ bent frame/blown engine I could steal and then reweld/rebuild as a project- ride a few times for the hell of it to make sure everything is kosher and then sell it and do it again...

Kind of a nice easy paced yet extreme mechanical project for a lower budget than a car with a monster reward the test drive and then able to make some money or at least recoup what I have in it or not lose my !@$#!@ on (hence why I want honda) I guess harley davidson would be better but I like the sport bikes better

The late 90s, early 2000s Superhawk are V-twins. VFR series bikes are V4s.

If you are looking for a good platform that's cheap look at CBR600 F3 series. The F3s had a lot of suspension and engine upgrades over the older 600s and are very capable bikes. Any honda with a 750 cc engine is probably rock solid reliable since that basic design has been around since the mid 70s.

One of the most popular platforms in the timeframe you specified was the Honda Hawk. It was a 500cc (I believe) twin that has a huge following in road racing and street riding. For that reason, don't bet on it being as cheap as you may think.

I do not want a vtwin because IMHO they sound terrible.

I also do not know if they are capable of 10-12K rpm without vibrating apart???

I know very little about bikes but a black/chrome harley davidson is the farthest thing I could imagine from what I would want in a bike and I am pretty sure a lot if not all of those have v-twins.

I'm a fan of the Vtwin simply because it has the power down low which is rather nice when you're running around the streets. as for vibrating themselves apart, I've reguarly taken my SV650 to redline of 11000 and it has yet to vibrate apart. I think the rediculous high vibration is a Harley thing.

No problem. you can probably also add Suzuki's TL series as well, as I belive the SV shares a similar engine to them. You won't necessarily get the same top speed as a i4 with it, but you get more low end usability and a bike that doesn't look like all the rest.

Plus it sounds like an angry sewing machine rather than an angry hand vacuum cleaner.

i'll second the v-twin's, although, you may end up spending a bit more. TL-R's, Rc-51's, Sv's, Duc's, and Aprilia's are absolutely the shit for street riding. The big i-4's win in the top end hp dept, but are matched or beat by the tq of the 1000cc twins. plus the packaging seems to make for better handling bike, i still have never been on a bike i felt more comfortable tossing around in corners then an RC-51.

If you are dead set on the Honda's, 1100xx's can be found wrecked a good bit for fairly cheap and are the original top end king before the busa, the superhawks make great street fighters and are also a good find, 900's-929's-954's are great intro liter bikes, and of course you have the 600's from 90 up to look through. really though, i recommend 99+, tons of parts, resale while be greater, and its getting into squid season and tons of new bikes will soon be wrecked lol.

squid season?

I am not trying to be the fastest on two wheels- I bet a 250cc bike would scare the pants off of me- just looking for a sporty bike for a project to play with and then sell.

Thanks!

Andrew