car options...thoughts?

evan9381

checked out a few cars today...found a few i liked...still going to look tomorrow again (rain sucked today)

2004 volvo s60r...awd, turbo, 6 speed...had 56k miles...was odd though, it wouldnt go into 5th gear...obviously, i wouldnt be buying it unless that gets fixed. interior was beautiful, was quick enough from me going 1-2-3-4 down 5th ave (coming from 120hp to ~300 is a bit of a jump). insurance is 12$/mo more than i was paying for my 03 hyundai elantra.

2004 GTO. one i liked most was a silver one at byers near the airport...had holden badges, fairly new looking BFGs, 26k miles. drove a red one at ricart (the one at byers was on the floor inside) and it felt pretty good. 6 speed, ls1. i figure with something like this, maintenance would be a lot cheaper than something like a volvo or bmw...insurance only 150/mo...24$/mo more than the elantra.

2002 BMW 330ci. topaz blue, auto :(, had a nice stereo system in it already...bank wont let the term go out more than 54 months and the price they were asking is a bit out of my price range...downside is like the volvo, high maintenance costs. it did look good though. would look 10x better after giving andy a few hours and some $$. insurance only 137/mo...11$/mo more than the elantra

something like the GTO wouldnt be driven much, if at all in snow...we've got the g/fs mazda3 that is a beast in the snow...its nuts. i guess my issue is with something like the volvo, audi, etc, if something goes wrong, its gonna be a bit more for replacement parts and performance parts than something like the GTO

If you can find a mechanic that knows their stuff about any certain foreign car that does decently priced work, then youll be fine maintenance wise. That is if you cant do it yourself. The reason that audis, volvos ect are expensive is there arn't that many shops and dealer pricing is outrageous. Parts can be a bit more expensive and i guess oe parts are only going to get more expensive due to Euro vs dollar. Out of the cars you mentioned i would get the GTO and get some snow tires if you do end up driving it year round.

You'd be surprised how well LS1 cars do in the snow with the traction control turned ON ;) I drove mine in the snow for about 3 weeks when my beater broke, with all season tires on my stocker 16's I never had a problem getting anywhere with whatever on the road, and I'm low enough that I plow the snow before the plows got there lol.

i think the reasonable side of me won over, and ill probably be getting something good on gas for the 35+ miles a day trip to and from work. i found a few for a few thousand bucks...itll save me on gas, and i can pay it off in a year, then buy something like a GTO that i wont have to use as a daily.

Move closer and buy the GTO man! :p

I have a good friend at Byers if you change your mind. Just PM me. It's all I can do not to buy a nice low mile 06 right now.

i think the reasonable side of me won over, and ill probably be getting something good on gas for the 35+ miles a day trip to and from work. i found a few for a few thousand bucks...itll save me on gas, and i can pay it off in a year, then buy something like a GTO that i wont have to use as a daily.

Move closer and buy the GTO man! :p

I have a good friend at Byers if you change your mind. Just PM me. It's all I can do not to buy a nice low mile 06 right now.

i wish it was that easy. all of the places we found near work are 700-750/mo, which is almost 200$/mo more than what im paying now. if i have a large car payment, ill have to stay where im at with low rent. if i move toward work, ill need a smaller car payment to be able to afford rent

sti

+1

If I was you I would go with a STI, that site I posted also has 2 on there for the same as the R32 and I think one is a bit more.

Does any body know much about Denny Dotson, is it a safe place to buy from or should we stay clear?

Does any body know much about Denny Dotson, is it a safe place to buy from or should we stay clear?

If you want a car that has a high likelyhood of being f'ed up, that you paid too much for, and the dealer is known to cover stuff up to try to make the sale...then yes, I'd suggest you go there.

+1

If I was you I would go with a STI, that site I posted also has 2 on there for the same as the R32 and I think one is a bit more.

the consensus seems to be stay WAY THE FUCK AWAY. I have no personal experience, but I've NEVER heard anything good.

Personally I'd say f gas mileage and get the GTO, but that's just me. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with

I wouldnt suggest buying something soley for the gas mileage. You will end up not happy. Atleast get a gas sipper thats fun to drive (handles well).

+1 On both counts.

I would personally go for the GTO but in the end this is your car. I went the route of getting one car that doesn't get great gas mileage but is still fun to play with on the weekends (which was it's intention obviously), and then a daily driver solely for the purpose of getting decent mileage in. I couldn't be happier. But ultimately get something you will have a blast with and enjoy. Meanwhile not saying, "why the hell did I buy this" 6 months down the road.