Yamaha YZF 600r wont start

Dweet

I have a 2005 Yamaha YZF-600r. It only has 1900 miles on it and wont start. The engine will turn. I just changed the oil and it has fresh gas. I was wondering if maybe the carb was gunked up or maybe the fuel filter was clogged but with so little miles I doubt it. Any suggestions?

I think Im getting a spark because every once in awhile it sounds like it wants to turn...

Petcock? Im not very knowledgeable about motorcycles. As I got the bike mainly forseeing the gas prices getting out of control. I guess its time to learn. But I havent changed anything since it last started.

I took it out for about 1 mile earlier this year. It ran groggy at low RPM's but once it hit 3k RPM it ran fine. But it has sat for awhile. I didnt get to take it out much last summer because I was deployed until August.

Anyone familiar with accessing the carb on the Yamahas or are there any online service manuals I can refer to in order to clean out the carb?

The petcock is on. I believe thats the on/off valve on the bottom of the tank? I did take the tank off and the air box and everything looked clean underneath it but I didnt go farther than that.

A couple days ago I added so sea foam to the gas but it really hasnt helped at all.

I took it out for about 1 mile earlier this year. It ran groggy at low RPM's but once it hit 3k RPM it ran fine. But it has sat for awhile. I didnt get to take it out much last summer because I was deployed until August.

Anyone familiar with accessing the carb on the Yamahas or are there any online service manuals I can refer to in order to clean out the carb?

The petcock is on. I believe thats the on/off valve on the bottom of the tank? I did take the tank off and the air box and everything looked clean underneath it but I didnt go farther than that.

A couple days ago I added so sea foam to the gas but it really hasnt helped at all.

From your description of it running like crap in the low RPMs the last time it ran and now this, I'd guess the carbs need cleaned or something else minor is wrong. They aren't bad at all to do, but it really helps if you have someone show you the first time. I'll PM you my number. We'll see if we can't work out a time for me to come help you out.

Yes, that's the petcock.

From your description of it running like crap in the low RPMs the last time it ran and now this, I'd guess the carbs need cleaned or something else minor is wrong. They aren't bad at all to do, but it really helps if you have someone show you the first time. I'll PM you my number. We'll see if we can't work out a time for me to come help you out.

Yes, that's the petcock.

You can come do mine:D :D

the main diff between the 600r is that the 600r was carb and has analog gauges, the R6 is fuel injected and has digital gauges... i should have went with the R6 bc I dont know much about carbs and every car I have worked on has been FI. But I guess I get to learn about carbs now

And all fuses are good.. I really think the carb is gunked up since its been sitting I just need to learn how to get to the carb and how to clean it properly and I suspect I'll be OK.. But I did pick up a spare set of spark plugs just in case they got fouled somehow

carbs could very well be gunked up if it has sat for a while.

the petcock is the fuel valve attached to the tank. pet is short for petroleum and cock is another word for tap or faucet :)

Close but not really.

Pet may be short for petroleum but not in this manner.

Petcocks have been around much longer then the use on fuel tanks.

A Petcock is a small valve or faucet used to drain or reduce pressure.

When Im done using my boat I open the petcocks on the block to drain the water out. Not the fuel.

I know there is a difference but I thaught his was an R6. Definitally start with cleaning the carbs first. Its very easy, it probablly just looks intimidating. I prefer to use brake parts cleaner rather than carb cleaner when cleaning. Brake parts cleaner dries faster than carb cleaner and carb cleaner acts more as a lubricant as well. It will leave a film behind. Just pull the car assembly off, pull the float bowls off, jets, and if not to difficult the needle and set with the slide. Spray them all with cleaner and use compressed air to blow them out.

yeah it is pretty easy. the first time i think its just kind of intimidating more than anything. once youve done it once, it gets a lot easier lol.

if you cant get with satan or someone, id be willing to give you a hand as well :)

I would hold off removing the carbs unless you have to. You will need to pull the seat and tank to get to them. Removing them is not horrible, but to re-install you need three elbows.

1. pull each plug and check for spark. If you have spark go to step 2.

2. Lead the cylinders with a bit of gas or shot of ether first to see if it runs. If so you know fuel is not making it to the cylinders. If it happens to start and create a vacuum, run the shit out of it to get some clean gas in the lines. If it dies after burning the gas in the cylinders, a carb removal is in order.

Im probably going to attempt to change the plugs and clean the carb that way both bases are covered and im sure it needs it anyway as this thing has practically sat for two years.