same issue as last year running rough

wnaplay1647545503

Bike is having the same issue again as it did at end of riding season last year. Took it out and after 10-15 mins of riding it starts running real rough. So I get to where I am going and it sits for 2 hrs. Start it back up and and 10-15 mins later its running rough again. Sort of like its not firing on all cylinders. I have replaced plugs and this did not fix it. Should I try to clean carbs and if so can anyone walk me through the process. I have to launch at higher rpms when it runs like this. I can maintain speed but runs very rough. Thanks

Guest mrhobbz
My bike does that after sitting for a while, but thats because my rear cylinder fills with gas :( Does it always run rough or is it at random times?

once it starts doing it, does it idle rough? is it just at certain RPM, or throughout the range?

Idles rough as well. Sort of sounds like it is backfiring mildly both sitting and riding. Definately sounds different after it starts acting up. Kinda wants to stall when going from a dead stop and you can definately tell something is wrong when accelerating at all speeds.

I've seen this on bikes when the choke is sticking. Is your exhaust discolored?

The other thought I have is it could be electrical, if your ignition system is finding a ground somewhere. This may be just starting when it's warm but may get worse. I think the choke or another carb problem is more likely though.

Take your plug caps off and trim the wires back a 1/4 of an inch and reinstall.

if that doesn't do it, it sounds like a lean step. engine goes lean because your floats are sticking and the carb isn't filling with gas fast enough. Take the carbs off, take the floats bowls off, clean it up.

Take your plug caps off and trim the wires back a 1/4 of an inch and reinstall.

if that doesn't do it, it sounds like a lean step. engine goes lean because your floats are sticking and the carb isn't filling with gas fast enough. Take the carbs off, take the floats bowls off, clean it up.

If I take the carbs off, what all is involved with cleaning them? Just cleaning the bowls out? If I am going to do it, I guess I might as well do it right the first time. Is this going to require any new parts?

Idles rough as well. Sort of sounds like it is backfiring mildly both sitting and riding. Definately sounds different after it starts acting up. Kinda wants to stall when going from a dead stop and you can definately tell something is wrong when accelerating at all speeds.

i had a 1995 gsxr 1100 that kinda acted the same as your u might wanna get the carbs rebuilt and check ur jetting..... what kinda bike is it by the way?

• 4 weeks later...
I took the carbs off the bike and tore them down. Not completely, but took out all the jets, needles, vacuum rubber covers. Everything appeared brand new. Not a speck of dirt in the float bowls or in the jets,needles. Gave everything a good going over with carb cleaner and air to be on the safe side and put back together, I will try and trim back the spark plug wires tomorrow but will the metal ends come off or will I need to buy new ones. I am not clear on syncing the carbs and how to properly adjust the pilot screws.

pilot screws will turn in and out.. generally you want to find what OE spec is and adjust them to that..

example

atvs, when you jet them for a pipe or whatever, the will tell you to seat the pilot screw all the way in and then turn it x amount of turns out.

syncing carbs is a pain i hear, and a special tool needed.

also when cleaning the carbs, let the jets soak in carb cleaner.. then blow out with compressed air, same with any other parts minus anything rubber.

you may not be able to see dirt but there may be some varnish residue on the jets or other parts.

getting them sonic cleaned is great for them

but if it comes down to it, you can get a rack of carbs on ebay pretty cheap