Experienced Mothers/Fathers please help.

SpaceGhost

My daughter has had the same ear infection for a month now She has been through 3 different oral antibiotics and now continuing antibiotic shots. She is getting tubes put in her ears on Tuesday. My question is have any of you had this done to your child and did it help a bunch? Any tips to maybe be prepared for or anything gone wrong. We have talked to the doctors and I trust them but can't hurt to get opinions from experienced parents. Any advice is welcome.

My kids have gotten quite a few also, the doctors told me if it kept up they would need tubes. My wife said that she got them all the time when she was a kid until they put tubes in her ears and then she never had anymore problems. Hope everything goes good. Its a fairly routine procedure now from what I understand.

My son had chronic ear infections that actually caused him to understand speech slower. We actually thought he might have been a little slow at learning.We had even started teaching him sign language cause we thought he had hearing problems. We had the tubes put in which was about an hour of our time. Immideatly his speech improved and he started being alot less cranky. From personal experience i would do it just cause ear infections will drop to just about null.

If she likes to swim you might want to get her some childrens ear plugs that is the only thing we were warned about. We put ear plugs in when he goes swimming other then that. I have a happy healthy 4 year old who can count and is starting to read. Honestly I attribute most of this to the tubes cause the ear infections were causing major problems.

If you have any other questions i would be happy to help

my son had tubes. no infections after the tubes. very easy proceedure, about 20min. they are under anthetisia which is scary but other than that its ok. the tube are suppose to fall out on there own, however my sons did not and he has had two more surgerys to remove each tube and put a patch on his ear drum. again a quick and painless procedure.

+1 on the plugs when swimming. hope all goes well.

fwiw-we did all surgerys at childrens, top notch!

We had a problem with my son early on getting ear infections. Took him off dairly and viola, zero issues. Gradually put him back on Milk based items after a few months and zero issues since.

Did the same with my daughter from day one, soy formula and milk for a while, gradually introduced cheese, then dairy product slowly. She's had one ear infection and she's just over 2yrs old.

Milk causes a lot of congestion in some little kids and that congestion and the nature of milk not sitting well easiliy leads to infections like this.

Not sure if it's applicable to your situation, but we tried this based on a recommendation from my brother in law who is a Doctor. Our family Doc was pretty insistant on tubes but I didn't buy that. Thankfully is worked just as planned.

Do read up on Milk allergies and the above mentioned. It's pretty prevelant but the good thing is they usually out grow it. Just like Peanut Butter, such allergies are more common today that when we were kids.

When we would go into the daycare, I would always wonder why some kids are constantly bugger ridden freaks all the time. Nasty. Likely they are having an allergic reaction and not just sick with a cold. Parents prolly never knew either.

My daughter is this same story, lots of infections drove us crazy, and the tubes made a huge difference. I really didn't like the idea at first, but it has worked out really well. Now she just has to wear earplugs whenever she gets wet, baths, swimming and stuff.

I really wish I knew why so many kids get this way. :confused:

Thankyou Tim this is what I am looking for. Our doctor said nothing about this. And it makes sense, I avoid milk when I am sick because I feel more congested but that was in my nose. I feel stupid I don't think of it the same way. My wife was alergic to milk also as a little child and grew out of it. She is getting the tubes for sure, I am mainly looking for advise like the ear plugs and what not for after the surgery. Tim your post is great because we can try it and it can't hurt her. It's worth a shot to at least get this infection healed. This wasn't an issue untill she started daycare 2 months ago. I am sick all the time now too. :mad:

We had a problem with my son early on getting ear infections. Took him off dairly and viola, zero issues. Gradually put him back on Milk based items after a few months and zero issues since.

Did the same with my daughter from day one, soy formula and milk for a while, gradually introduced cheese, then dairy product slowly. She's had one ear infection and she's just over 2yrs old.

Milk causes a lot of congestion in some little kids and that congestion and the nature of milk not sitting well easiliy leads to infections like this.

Not sure if it's applicable to your situation, but we tried this based on a recommendation from my brother in law who is a Doctor. Our family Doc was pretty insistant on tubes but I didn't buy that. Thankfully is worked just as planned.

Do read up on Milk allergies and the above mentioned. It's pretty prevelant but the good thing is they usually out grow it. Just like Peanut Butter, such allergies are more common today that when we were kids.

When we would go into the daycare, I would always wonder why some kids are constantly bugger ridden freaks all the time. Nasty. Likely they are having an allergic reaction and not just sick with a cold. Parents prolly never knew either.

You want Doc's Pro Plugs. Vented so she can go into deep water, even scuba, but the inside of the ear doesn't get wet.

You might want to consider some pro-biotics. All those antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your head.

Apparently I had the same thing. My parents took me off milk, and earaches went away.

You may think this is strange but have you tried elevating her bed/crib? My son had chronic ear infections for months. We took him to the doctor who recommended tubes in his ears. We then talked to a friend who had a child with similar problems. She recommended elevating the end of the bed where his head rests and like magic the ear infections stopped. It allowed his ears to drain at night. It worked for us so it might be worth a try. Just stick a pillow under the matress at the end where her head rests.

I can write volumes on this subject, but here is the short version.

1. Antibiotics are generally ineffective. Most infections are viral.

2. Spinal injury durning the birth process or due to trauma can produce subluxation of C1 and C2 resulting in blockage of the eusachian tube. Therefore normal fluid drainage cannot occur. Infection results.

3. Milk/dairy product will increase the mucus production in the body and slow the normal fluid drainage of the ear, this can lead to problems.

4. Tubes in the ear are mostly ineffective, as soon the tubes are gone and the ear heals(assuming that it will) the infection often come back due to the underlying problem is not corrected.

5. Tubes in the ear can lead to hearing loss, chronic drainage, Thickening of the Drum, and infection in the ear due to open exposure to the environment.

I cannot recall ever seeing a child that I would recommend this route. Many other options should be tried before any surgical procedure ever be performed. Always start out with the least invasive and proceed to more invasive.

Treatment check list:

1. Eliminate Dairy

2. Check for Subluxation

3. If she has been on antibiotics she will need to be on acidophilus. The normal flora has been destroyed and will lead to over growth of bad bacteria. this will lead to a compromised immune system leading to other infection including viral.

2. Spinal injury durning the birth process or due to trauma can produce subluxation of C1 and C2 resulting in blockage of the eusachian tube. Therefore normal fluid drainage cannot occur. Infection results.

3. Milk/dairy product will increase the mucus production in the body and slow the normal fluid drainage of the ear, this can lead to problems.

4. Tubes in the ear are mostly ineffective, as soon the tubes are gone and the ear heals(assuming that it will) the infection often come back due to the underlying problem is not corrected.

5. Tubes in the ear can lead to hearing loss, chronic drainage, Thickening of the Drum, and infection in the ear due to open exposure to the environment.

I cannot recall ever seeing a child that I would recommend this route. Many other options should be tried before any surgical procedure ever be performed. Always start out with the least invasive and proceed to more invasive.

Treatment check list:

1. Eliminate Dairy

2. Check for Subluxation

3. If she has been on antibiotics she will need to be on acidophilus. The normal flora has been destroyed and will lead to over growth of bad bacteria. this will lead to a compromised immune system leading to other infection including viral.

Very interesting info, wish these damn doctors would share stuff like this. Would have liked to try these thing before my daughter got tubes.

Very interesting info, wish these damn doctors would share stuff like this. Would have liked to try these thing before my daughter got tubes.

They just don't know. I try to get the word out to those who will listen but many times the white coat has a lot of power in peoples heads.

2. Spinal injury durning the birth process or due to trauma can produce

subluxation of C1 and C2 resulting in blockage of the Eustachian tube. Therefore normal fluid drainage cannot occur. Infection results.

Treatment check list:

1. Eliminate Dairy

2. Check for Subluxation

1. Had the fluid from her ear (that burst) cultured, it is definitely bacterial. Wife is a RN and works for a medical research company, has access to a lab, we did the culture ourselves and she submitted it. Results we back on Monday morning.

2. No trauma, her spine is fine, infections didn't start until daycare and other children gave her viral colds, and then her Eustachian tubes became blocked. She had colds before daycare and no ear infection. It has been repeated colds where the problem lies.

3. We are going to try to eliminate Milk and dairy but she is having a hard time drinking soy milk, she hates it, we found out this morning. :( Hard to reason with a 15 Month old child.

4. We are aware that she may have to have them put in twice since she is so young, they are supposed to fall out. I feel the benefit will be antibiotic drops, the tubes will allow Antibiotic drops to enter the stationary tubes when she gets another infection and will be a better treatment for her instead of IM Rocephin. (treat the area not the entire body) I understand tube don't "cure" ear infections, it allows the pain to be minimized and the area to be treated much easier. She now understands that a paper covered table and the same nurse is going to give her a huge shot and that fucking needle is big. She is not stupid and that is pretty hard on me too. Drops are much easier to give especially when she is asleep.

5. hearing loss, so can repeated ear drum rupturing, her left ear has already burst. Lucky the hole is about where the tube is going into in that ear. You're damned if you do you're damned if you don't.

Thanks Rick

1. Had the fluid from her ear (that burst) cultured, it is definitely bacterial.

2. No trauma, her spine is fine, infections didn't start until daycare and other children gave her viral colds, and then her station tubes became blocked. She had colds before daycare and no ear infection. It has been repeated colds where the problem lies.

3. We are going to try to eliminate Milk and dairy but she is having a hard time drinking soy milk, she hates it, we found out this morning. :( Hard to reason with a 15 Month old child.

4. We are aware that she may have to have them put in twice since she is so young, they are supposed to fall out. I feel the benefit will be antibiotic drops, the tubes will allow Antibiotic drops to enter the stationary tubes when she gets another infection and will be a better treatment for her instead of IM Rocephin. (treat the area not the entire body) I understand tube don't "cure" ear infections, it allows the pain to be minimized and the area to be treated much easier. She now understands that a paper covered table and the same nurse is going to give her a huge shot and that fucking needle is big. She is not stupid and that is pretty hard on me too. Drops are much easier to give especially when she is asleep.

5. hearing loss, so can repeated ear drum rupturing, her left ear has already burst. Lucky the hole is about where the tube is going into in that ear. You're damned if you do you're damned if you don't.

Thanks Rick

Try Goats milk. That milk is the closest to human milk. It does not create the thickening of the mucus

Btw. Every child experiences birth trauma, along with hundreds of fall learning how to walk. So trauma can still be a factor.

I remember a childhood friend that got tubes a couple times... his ears were really bad though. I also remember we had to be really quite around him the first day too because his ears were so sensitive.

I'd also like to point out that the only reason she has been getting Antibiotics for her ear infections is because they are accompanied by high fevers. She was 101.7 this morning.

Fevers are not a bad thing. That is the body fighting the infection. The stink for the kid because she does not feel well. Dropping the fever with "Tylenol", like most parents are told will only prolong the illness because the body is not able to raise the temp high enough to stop the reproduction of the virus/ bacteria.

I would suggest you buy this book. It gives solid common sense advice on childhood health issues. I have a copy if you would like to read it I would be happy to mail it to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Healthy-Child-Spite-Doctor/dp/0345342763