Another Cop Question Thread

Guest Drew The Pirate

Guest Drew The Pirate

I was on High St. tonight, turning south on Henderson road, which is one great big hill if you've been there. I took the turn pretty quick and was doing about 30 by the time I was going straight. I intended to ride the brake and coast down at 35 like I always do- Clintonville is no place to be speeding, especially at night, and I'm not stupid. Anyways, I see two headlights flying up behind me, and I'm thinking, "goddamn jackasses riding my ass." I always slow down when there's an idiot like that behind me. So I slow down from 35 to about 30, and then I realize it's a cop. this asshole rides my ass all the way down the hill.

We stop at the bottom at a red light and he pulls up next to me and says, "you're lucky you saw me and hit the breaks, or I'd have pulled you over."

I was just like, "Thanks sir." I didn't want to press my luck because I was worried I may have bumped up to 36 or 37 once on my way down the hill, and I didn't want him to have a change of heart.

first question, what's a ticket like for doing 36 in a 35? I'd have mouthed off if it was like $20-30.

second question, if I had slammed on my brakes "to avoid that poor little squirrel in the road," and then he'd rear ended me, could he have been ticketed? That's only half serious, but I am curious.

Thanks fellas.

I think you're likely DUI if you turned south on Henderson Rd. ;):p

I know where you're talking...You turned south on High Street from Henderson going past the Park of Roses??....I thought it was like 25mph there? It's been a while since I've been there. 36mph in a 25mph isn't a small ticket and anything 5+mph in that zone would be 2pts minimum I believe. Not pretty.

IMO I don't see why it's 25mph in that area....but then I don't drive below 45mph anywhere in Columbus :o

I was on High St. tonight, turning south on Henderson road, which is one great big hill if you've been there. I took the turn pretty quick and was doing about 30 by the time I was going straight. I intended to ride the brake and coast down at 35 like I always do- Clintonville is no place to be speeding, especially at night, and I'm not stupid. Anyways, I see two headlights flying up behind me, and I'm thinking, "goddamn jackasses riding my ass." I always slow down when there's an idiot like that behind me. So I slow down from 35 to about 30, and then I realize it's a cop. this asshole rides my ass all the way down the hill.

We stop at the bottom at a red light and he pulls up next to me and says, "you're lucky you saw me and hit the breaks, or I'd have pulled you over."

I was just like, "Thanks sir." I didn't want to press my luck because I was worried I may have bumped up to 36 or 37 once on my way down the hill, and I didn't want him to have a change of heart.

first question, what's a ticket like for doing 36 in a 35? I'd have mouthed off if it was like $20-30.

second question, if I had slammed on my brakes "to avoid that poor little squirrel in the road," and then he'd rear ended me, could he have been ticketed? That's only half serious, but I am curious.

Thanks fellas.

36 in a 35.........

No way that would hold up in court.

Police are bound to the same laws as everyone when thier lights are not on. He also is required to "maintain an assured distance" I think it is, just like everyone else.

I agree.....It would be a huge waste of time....Prosecutor would never let it have a minute in court. Especially not now with the financial hurt the PO PO are in as it relates to OT and court appearances.

Not 100% sure, but I do think the Police are protected from prosecution if they rear end you in such an instance. My wife would know but she's sleeping or else I'd ask. Her good friend works down there and would be one of the folks defending the cops against you in such a situation :( but she is HOT so it might be worth the attempt :p

36 in a 35.........

No way that would hold up in court.

Police are bound to the same laws as everyone when thier lights are not on. He also is required to "maintain and assured distance" I think it is, just like everyone else.

I know where you're talking...You turned south on High Street from Henderson going past the Park of Roses??....I thought it was like 25mph there? It's been a while since I've been there. 36mph in a 25mph isn't a small ticket and anything 5+mph in that zone would be 2pts minimum I believe. Not pretty.

IMO I don't see why it's 25mph in that area....but then I don't drive below 45mph anywhere in Columbus :o

LOL, first thing I thought when he said south on Henderson. Anyway he saw you driving wrecklessly, his discretion you cant say shit. He got close so he could read your tags. Then decided not to pull you over after you slowed down. Him telling you that it was a good thing you slowed down was just a way to let you know he was giving you a break. As far as ACDA (assured clear distance ahead) im not to sure how it would apply to a cop. His word in court is worth a lot more than yours. Then guess who insurance would have to pay for it.

I think if you go anywhere from 1-10 mph over the limit it's like $90, then 11-15 over is $120, 15-24 over is $140, 25+ is more, etc.

I know those numbers aren't correct, but thats basically how the scale goes

Not sure if they have cameras or not but that would have been pretty funny to see in court on video.. you brake checking a police cruiser. Sure fire way to lose your license for a very long time.

Not true. My father put a cop in the ditch when he brake checked him. The cop wrote him for reckless op. Fought it in court and the judge threw it out. Police have to follow all the same traffic laws as anyone else when they are driving around. Safe and assured distance was not maintained so he threw the ticket out.

As for leeway on a speedometer, according to Ford, ( I have not looked at others in specific but, I would assume they are similar) when you are diagnosing a speedometer accuracy issue, you compare it against a known car's speed or a radar reading and if it is within 5mph it is accurate. It is written that way in their diagnostic manuals, not just some technicain over the phone saying that.

Guest Drew The Pirate

oop :( I meant heading south on high, turning west on Henderson. I wasn't drunk. Thanks for all your responses.