Computer guys: What linux is would you recommend

Steve R.

Vmware is the shit. Personally I run Ubuntu or Debian. I love debian Matris can attest. At our old job I had a Debian repos in house. It sure made installs faster.

My main server at my house. (I needed windows a few years ago when i built it).

2x2.0ghz Xeon

2gb ram

2TB hd space (10x250 on raid card)

I run windows 2003 server as my main os inside of that I have 3 vm's running for various functions.

IPTABLE rules all have the same syntax, the only difference will be what path your flavor sticks it in by default and possibly a few differences between versions...

But that right there is a problem. Why should a program that is working at the kernel level have differences between environments? If I'm using Linux, my binaries, libraries, scripts, and data should live in exactly the same place, regardless of whether or not I'm using SuSE, Fedora, Ubunto, Gentoo, or $FOO. At the very least, generate system-wide environment variables like Windows' %WINDIR so you can easily move between distros.

A.out works... ELF is not horrible faster either, ELF has what...... slightly smaller binary files. Also as far as I know the C libraries and GCC are only compiled for ELF right?

Wrong. I was compiling a.out on GCC for SunOS back in '97, and for i386 in '03. Some older archs still rely on GCC plus a.out.

Guest mrhobbz
But that right there is a problem. Why should a program that is working at the kernel level have differences between environments? If I'm using Linux, my binaries, libraries, scripts, and data should live in exactly the same place, regardless of whether or not I'm using SuSE, Fedora, Ubunto, Gentoo, or $FOO. At the very least, generate system-wide environment variables like Windows' %WINDIR so you can easily move between distros.

Wrong. I was compiling a.out on GCC for SunOS back in '97, and for i386 in '03. Some older archs still rely on GCC plus a.out.

Either way, the shit works. He wants to run a basic file server, it isn't going to affect him either way...

VMware is the shit. Personally I run Ubuntu or Debian. I love debian Matris can attest. At our old job I had a Debian repos in house. It sure made installs faster.

My main server at my house. (I needed windows a few years ago when i built it).

2x2.0ghz Xeon

2gb ram

2TB hd space (10x250 on raid card)

I run windows 2003 server as my main os inside of that I have 3 vm's running for various functions.

I do love VMware! Thorne is definitely a Debian guy and I have always been a RedHat guy but that doesn't mean we don't get along. The Debian repos made network installs quick as shit, it was awesome.

Is that that stinking box that I connected the cables on? That was a pain in the ass.

Guest mrhobbz
I do love VMware! Thorne is definitely a Debian guy and I have always been a RedHat guy but that doesn't mean we don't get along. The Debian repos made network installs quick as shit, it was awesome.

Is that that stinking box that I connected the cables on? That was a pain in the ass.

Rofl, yes it is.

Guest mrhobbz

Off topic, birthday party Augest you down? twenty two...

yeah thats the box that has 8billion ide cables. I've moved onto ubuntu and lots of solaris :(

LOL, that box was kicking my ass for a while. Solaris just really annoys me.

Off topic, birthday party Augest you down? twenty two...

August when and do you know where yet?

Guest mrhobbz
LOL, that box was kicking my ass for a while. Solaris just really annoys me.

August when and do you know where yet?

Around the 16th...... As of where not sure yet, pm me your number or something I'll let you know.

thanks for all the help guys! i never have run a home file server before and i have an old computer box just sitting around, and it seems it would be a better deal to run a server than to buy a external hard drive.

thanks for all the help guys! i never have run a home file server before and i have an old computer box just sitting around, and it seems it would be a better deal to run a server than to buy a external hard drive.

Good luck if you run into any issues shoot me a PM.