Serious Discussion: Living without the internet

Rally Pat

Our recent n00b post kind of got me to thinking. Can people really live without the internet anymore? I mean, I can understand like 10 years ago, maybe. Lets break this down.

I have medical bills, I pay them on the internet.

Credit card, manage that on the internet too.

Not to mention my National City account, internet too.

My school. All of my classes, my scheduling, tuition and student loans, all managed online.

My job. Everything about my very job position involves the internet.

My home phone bill and my wireless bill. It actually costs extra to use paper now.

Shopping. Craigslist anyone?

Cars/car parts/car information. Here, craigslist, ebay motors, MR2 Owners Club, HybridZ.

Seriously though, I mean I guess I can understand if you are an older person and never really picked up a keyboard. Why should you get rid of the paper bills? They work just fine.

What do you guys think?

I do a lot of [x], in fact I even work in the [x] industry. Can I ever live without [x]?

Aside from the rather ridiculous premise of this question, I would concur that Yes, the internet is useful. Somehow it managed to become a multibillion dollar industry that supports just about every part of global commerce, as well as a bulk of the rest of society. It is important. Now what about *you*? Could you do all those things you mentioned by spending an hour a week at a Panera with a cheap laptop (or going to the library if you are even cheaper)? Or, if faced with being disconnected for more than a few minutes would your head shrivel up and implode? I for one have been very tempted to ditch my home internet connection in favor of other alternatives, and I would probably put myself in the top 90% of the 'internet codependent' group.

What the Fuck is the internet?!

We all could survive because our parents did before us without the internet. The WWW is a luxery making things easier. Things are only a few clicks away instead of having to go get the information.

Aside from the rather ridiculous premise of this question, I would concur that Yes, the internet is useful. Somehow it managed to become a multibillion dollar industry that supports just about every part of global commerce, as well as a bulk of the rest of society. It is important. Now what about *you*? Could you do all those things you mentioned by spending an hour a week at a Panera with a cheap laptop (or going to the library if you are even cheaper)? Or, if faced with being disconnected for more than a few minutes would your head shrivel up and implode? I for one have been very tempted to ditch my home internet connection in favor of other alternatives, and I would probably put myself in the top 90% of the 'internet codependent' group.

There are plenty of ways to get there for free. I wasn't saying that not having a home connection was crippling people, some people just need to get off of their ass and go to the library. (Like the noob in the oven with no connection)

I know a few people that, instead of just having a home connection, tether their blackberry's to their laptops and do things that way.

If you have a blackberry with internet connection, why in the fuck don't you have the money for the internet?

And maybe it's because I'm older and/or because the internet is not the end all to my f'n life, but there's plenty I do not do on the internet and what I do do (haha doodoo) on here can be done anywhere. I do like the internet but I've lived completely without it before. It takes about a day or two to get past it. There's a whole fucking world out there. Get out there and see it. :)

I do all of my bills on paper as well as pay on the internet. I could live without the internet and pay bills the normal way. I just need to buy a book of stamps. I've done that before its all good...

I would just have to start "buying" new digital forms of entertainment again =)

I removed a lot of TV out of my life because of the internet. TV used to be my entertainment, as it is for most people, but I hardly watch it because I'd rather be surfing message boards or playing a game... :nod:

A guy that used to work for me didn't use a debit card.He would go to the bank every Saturday and get cash and paid cash for everything during the week and wrote and snail mailed checks for all his bills.He would walk inside and pay cash for gas.I don't know how you could live like that.

I can run SINGARS and ASIP radios, and throw them on single channel plain text. Use a Army radio as a walky talky mode.

I am a commo ninja. SINGARS, ASIP, 117, 150, 152, even more dumb older some newer shit that most havnt seen, I have mastered! I mean i Jump out of a plane with 117s and a everything to set up a wireless siper net. I am ready for no internet! i will make my own!

But yes no internet sucks..