what the hell is this (bug)?

Science Abuse

Must've missed this thread.

I was expecting you to be first. :)

Here's more of a challenge for ya, since I wasn't able to get a good shot:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8214/puffvg5.jpg

less than a cm big, big puffy white plume on his ass, and he can jump so fast/far that my eyes cant follow.

:confused:

OMG, what an idiot. That tops the list right there. I mean how stupid can you possibly be to look at a picture of a butterfly and call it a horse. :confused: He even goes as far as to show the features of the "horse"

I was expecting you to be first. :)

Here's more of a challenge for ya, since I wasn't able to get a good shot:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8214/puffvg5.jpg

less than a cm big, big puffy white plume on his ass, and he can jump so fast/far that my eyes cant follow.

My first thought was a type of adelgid or even some form of woolly aphid/aphid type insect or even a scale. The jumping thing is throwing me off. It's shaped a bit like a flea, as well, but the coloring and white fluff butt isn't right. It's really hard to distinguish in that picture. I can almost guarantee that it's a "juice sucker" and is probably NOT beneficial to your plants. Where did you find it at? This may take me some more thought and/or a bit of research to be sure. I'll come back when I either have a better idea or give up. ;)

Some other things that will help:

Any other "insect signs" or unusual properties of it's surround area

Wings or wingless?

Were there any others?

Did the "fluff" only cover the end of the abdomen?

Was the fluff located anywhere else on the insect or it's surroundings? (Planthopper nymph comes to mind here, as well, but they are usually just covered in fluff.)

Springtails are jumpy, too, but I don't remember them having fluff.

There are many insects that kinda match what info you've given me in the nymph stage. Just so hard without more detail, etc.

-Pic was taken 2 weeks ago (so summer)

-I find these on occasion on flat, lightly colored surfaces. Not sure if it prefers them, or I just can't see them on natural substrate.

-Location is West Chest Ohio, 45069. Hilly, partially wooded, ground tends to hold water though not quite a swamp.

-Never spotted with a partner

-Cannot tell if it has wings or not, the rear shell is domed and fairly uniform. Could have beetle-like wings in there, but cant tell.

There's not allot of detail missing from the photo, it's a very conservatively designed bug.

Ran and found a pic real quick. Not the best pic (and there's a good bit of variation between the species), but does this look the same?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/ms6wood/SFVKVmtPUzI/AAAAAAAABkU/83icJNfAr0E/P6143906_Blog.jpg?imgmax=320

BTW, the pic is of a two-striped planthopper nymph.

ding! He's a bit more textured, but the shape and puff location is spot on. U R teh bug man

What is the plumes function, respiration?

Thanks. :D

Well, I know many females use that waxy secretion to protect the eggs they lay. And I know many other insects, such as aphids and many kinds of nymphs have it, as well. Not sure of the function off-hand. No need for guessing. I'll go have a look. :D

Here ya go:

"Nymphs of many Fulgoroids produce wax from special glands on the abdominal terga and other parts of the body. These are hydrophobic and help conceal the insects. Adult females of many families also produce wax which may be used to protect eggs."

There seems to a bit of debate and not enough research into the specifics of this. Some adults produce the filaments, as well, in both male and female. Some cover certain parts and not others, etc. Some believed to do it for different reasons.

I know certain aphids release these waxy filaments that are made up of excess sugars produced from feeding from their host plant. Some ants are attracted to this, as well, and will care and protect for the aphids in return for feeding off of these sugars, (in filament or liquid form.) I think the filaments are the same in these planthoppers, however, I've never heard of them working in sort of symbiotic nature with another creature for them.

Anyway, that's my quick synopsis on it. It is subject to change. :)