anyone here run?

evan9381

i've been trying to get my ass into shape over the last year. so far, ive dropped about 28-32lbs, depending on the day (lol).

i was running for a while, was getting shin splints, so i stopped, then started weight lifting with a buddy of mine. for 6 or 7 months...well, i want to get back to running. it helps me control my asthma a bit better, and i feel good when i do.

the last week or so, ive been able to run 2 miles, which is the first time in my life ive done so. friday i did it in about 17:30, which was around 7mph

problem is, im getting shin splints...im sure its either because im flat footed as hell, or im running wrong. i checked a couple things online and have tried to adjust my running. it also says i may want to try some arch supports.

meijers had a few available, about $5-$10 for a pair, but then i saw the dr. scholls machine, hopped on it, and it gave me the size they reccomend. what sucks is that they're 50$/pair. are these something i should drop some coin on to get, or are they for day to day activities? i picked up one of the cheap pairs, and im hoping they help me out a bit.

TIA for any tips/advice

What kind of shoes are you wearing? A lot of people think Nike is a good running shoes but I have been told by a couple runners that they are one of the worst for things like shin splints. Nike Shocks are supposedly the worst. I get them really bad also but I wear Nikes.:rolleyes: I am not a professional, it is just what I have been told.

i dont run outside. when i try, it hurts the joints in my knees...probably from the hard ground, and never running in my life. im running at the gym on the treadmills now, until i can build up my legs enough to be able to run outside.

My dad has ran a couple marathons and so I've tried running and I also have flat feet. Last year I could run two miles in a decent time. It's weird you don't like running outside because that seems the only time I can run because I like a different view as I run. I kinda cut back and tried starting back again and it was hard for me to run 7 minutes which was dissapointing. And about shoes I started out w/ New balances and now I'm wearing Nike's. {which were just shoes I just used to wear out casually.}

I was selling shoes at Dicks sporting goods for a second before I left a couple years ago and it's true that most Nike shoes are actually a step back in technology in comparison to other shoes, except in a sleek design. Really theyre bad for posture and walking habits in general, most namely the Nike Shocks which I believe are considered cross-training shoes anyways.

I have heard nothing but good things about Asics as far as running shoes, however I'm partial to New Balance.

I run in Brooks. They make one of the best running shoes.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/

I used a set of Brooks Diad 4's a couple years back. Loved them, and still wear them for a beater shoe.

Do yourself a favor and stop by FrontRunners on, I believe, Lane Ave. They know their shit. I need to stop back by there since I'm trying to get back into running myself. I'm a fatty.

My wife is a runner, she's ran a few marathons. The shoes are so important, you have no idea. However, if you are serious about running, you don't go to Dicks or whatever. Go to Fleet Feet or Second Sole or a similar "running" store. They will make you run on their treadmill and sell you the correct shoes for your running style. :nod:

Also, if you are heavy (I'm not sure if you are, I'm just giving advice), you might want to think about doing the eliptical at a gym more than running. First time I tried to run a few months ago, my ankes and shin splints were killing me. It was just too much pounding on those parts of my body. So I started using the eliptical instead; no impact on your knees/shins/etc. Just my $0.02 and keep up the good work... :)

When I ran cross country for school I ran in Chuck Taylors. 5k race in 20:58 my first time. Just run in what makes you comfortable. Go to the store, throw some shoes on and jump around in em a bit.

Where I work there are some HS kids, some of them are in Cross Country. When I used to be in CC about 7 yrs ago my best 5k was a 19:30 and 17:30 was fast.... now thes kids are running 15:30's and sub 5 min miles.... it's sick.

I run in Brooks. They make one of the best running shoes.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/

Beat me to it. I use to run in New Balance's but they just weren't comfortable. I bought a pair of Brooks Running shoes on sale at Finish Line for around 80$ and have loved them ever since. I even weight train in them they feel so good and light.

I use to get shin splints when i first started running 2 years ago. I found that lower intensity helps and you dont HAVE to run to get in your cardio. Instead I rode the bike for an hour to make up for 30min of running. The eliptical is good too but I personally have never been a fan i guess. If you want the best cardio possible, swim.I dont mean wade in a pool with 50 other people. Swim in a real lap pool.

My wife is a runner, she's ran a few marathons. The shoes are so important, you have no idea. However, if you are serious about running, you don't go to Dicks or whatever. Go to Fleet Feet or Second Sole or a similar "running" store. They will make you run on their treadmill and sell you the correct shoes for your running style. :nod:

Also, if you are heavy (I'm not sure if you are, I'm just giving advice), you might want to think about doing the eliptical at a gym more than running. First time I tried to run a few months ago, my ankes and shin splints were killing me. It was just too much pounding on those parts of my body. So I started using the eliptical instead; no impact on your knees/shins/etc. Just my $0.02 and keep up the good work... :)

+1

The shoes are so important, you have no idea. However, if you are serious about running, you don't go to Dicks or whatever. Go to Fleet Feet or Second Sole or a similar "running" store. They will make you run on their treadmill and sell you the correct shoes for your running style. :nod:

+2 See picture in sig for the shoes I use. I have had great results with the Saucony

I also had this problem when i first started running except it was my knees, I thought for sure I had torn something in my knee. Come to find out I wasn't wearing the right shoes and I went to Second Sole here in Delaware and he hooked me up with a pair and I never had a problem again. I run about 3.5 - 4 miles outside on concrete or asphault and it doesn't bother me 1 bit.

My wife and I don't run, but we "power" walk (12-13 minutes/mile usually) - a lot. In the beginning we both had a lot of weird issues, I got shin splints like crazy and she had muscle cramps. The best step (ha) we took was going to a real running/walking-focused shoe store and let them measure us up, talk about our habits and goals, and allowed them to select the proper shoes for us. We went to and I highly recommend Frontrunner on Lane Avenue. Most of their pricing is in-line with internet pricing when you factor in shipping, and the personal attention is well worth an extra couple bucks.

Don't skimp on your shoes.

First what you should do to find the type of heel you are is step into a bucket of water, and plant your foot on the concrete. That'll tell you what kind of arch support you need. +1 on good shoes, they make a hell of a difference when you do 2+ miles every other day. (something in which I do no more)

Most of these have already been said, but I'll repeat:

1) What everybody else said about shoes is important. Saucony makes a great running shoe, as does Brooks. But make sure you go to a specialty store where they can fit you for a shoe. They can put you on a treadmill (or have you stand on a mat) and recommend a shoe that will compensate for your flat-footedness. Don't balk at paying around $100 for shoes. It's well worth it and is really the only equipment you need for running.

2) Sounds like you're running too fast, at least for a beginner. Try slowing down to about a 10 minute mile or run/walking (2min run, 2min walk) for longer runs. It also helps to run with a friend to help keep pace. When you are with somebody else, it is a lot easier to notice when you are speeding up and going to fast.

3) Run less often. Your body needs time to recover. If you are a beginner, don't run more than 2 or 3 times a week. Start out at a mile or so, and build up.

4) Finally, stay off of concrete. It is the hardest substance to run on. The path at Antrim Lake is gravel/dirt (plus the scenery is nice) and is measured at 1.2miles. Good asphalt paths are along the Olentangy path (Antrim-Park of Roses) or at Beekman Park on campus.

I go through these pains every spring, cause I get lazy in the winter and don't run as much (I hate treadmills). Usually for me, though, it is my knees that give me problems and I can't run more than a mile or two. Once you power through and train your muscles and joints, it will become much easier to run long distances.

i've heard about the brook's from a co worker who used to run a foot locker. ill probably check out the place on lane

the last couple weeks though, ive been running 2 miles, biking about 7.5 miles in around 20 min, and getting back to swimming. friday i was able to do the length of the pool and back 10 times (500 yards). just my luck they shut it down today for 2 weeks for cleaning/annual maintenence.

been doing this mon/wed/fri and take the weekends off. i was doing the elliptical months ago but it didnt seem like i was working hard enough to feel anything, which is why i started jogging a while back

Ummm how about just doing more legs excerises to strenghten your legs? Strecthing before and after..

Calf raises and leg presses has pretty much done away with my shin splints I use to get. But I know everyone's body is not the same.