fuel issue...blah

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

ok i got a 1994 ford probe se...2.0L dohc mazda motor... the valve cover was leakin like a motherfucker so i pulled the valve cover and replaced the gasket, then i changed the oil...now when i start the car it idles rough and it smells like fuel under the car...ive got a hole in the exhaust so im not sure if the fuel smell is coming from the exhaust or a line or something down there, but its strong, cant smell it from the engine bay...it didnt do this before but it does now...oh and if i give it gas, it backfires pretty bad...my only guess is that while doing the gasket i must have bumped a vacuum or fuel line and cracked it...sprayed wd40 all around while it was running and nothing happened so i dont think its a vacuum issue, and theres no fuel leak under the car, i have no fuckin clue whats wrong....help me please!

oh if it matters, i tried replacing the idle air control valve, but the screw heads were stripped out.... so i didnt get it off, but the elctrical connector the clip on it broke but its still plugged in strong...doubt thats an issue since ive gone through that mess with my mustang and it didnt do this...i also had the airbox open to check the filter, it looks like its seated right now though...but that shouldnt matter anyways

Guest tbutera2112
ok well i kinda feel like an idiot.... i didnt think to check my spark plugs for oil since i left them in...i dont see how oil woulda got on them, but im gonna go pull the plugs and check them to make sure they look good...

Guest tbutera2112
yep, the wires were on wrong... i had 1 and 2 mixed...it didnt look right to me, but i marked them with a marker so i knew where they went...but i didnt mark 1 and 2 until after i had them out, so i marked them wrong...the 1 wire said 2 on it and the 2 wire said 1 on it...thanks for pointing it out scott