Getting into hunting

Slimpsy1647545505

I'm at that point in my life where I'm all out of hobby ideas and want to get into gun collecting / hunting. As a youth I went hunting every other year with my uncles but haven't been since about the age of 17, and really don't know much about it regardless.

My question is what are some good local resources for hunting, I've read through wildohio.com . . . . good info there. And what are the best types of rifles to use when hunting, 12ga for deer? 22ga for small game?

Would just like some local opinions. . . I also have 40 acres in southern ohio I'm going to use for hunting if someone wants to team up with me to show me the ropes come December for deer.

I hunt when I get a chance (not much).

Bowhunt - Never taken a deer with one.

Muzzleloader - Taken a deer with one.

Rifled slug gun (really damn accurate for a slug (sabot)) - taken a coyote with one, while I was hunting for deer.

Never turkey hunted, or went after any type of game bird, though I'd like to.

Squirrels and such are a blast with my .17HMR, as well as anything else that moves.

I visited my father in Kentucky this weekend, where he proceeded to give me a new Savage 12FV chambered in .22-250, so I'm pretty stoked about that. Took it out with him yesterday morning, to try to nail a coyote. He called one in, but mr. coyote was smarter than us. Bastard snuck up behind us (where we were 90% sure he wouldn't come from). My dad shot at him twice while he was on the run through some soybeans, but unfortunately missed. Had a blast though, and my father's pretty damn good at calling them in.

We've got a trip planned for outwest to kill truckloads of prairie dogs as soon as I finish college. Can't wait for that.

But to answer your original question about hunting; I'll be the first to tell you I'm not the best hunter in the world. I just like to do what I can.

I hunt when I get a chance (not much).

Bowhunt - Never taken a deer with one.

Muzzleloader - Taken a deer with one.

Rifled slug gun (really damn accurate for a slug (sabot)) - taken a coyote with one, while I was hunting for deer.

Never turkey hunted, or went after any type of game bird, though I'd like to.

Squirrels and such are a blast with my .17HMR, as well as anything else that moves.

I visited my father in Kentucky this weekend, where he proceeded to give me a new Savage 12FV chambered in .22-250, so I'm pretty stoked about that. Took it out with him yesterday morning, to try to nail a coyote. He called one in, but mr. coyote was smarter than us. Bastard snuck up behind us (where we were 90% sure he wouldn't come from). My dad shot at him twice while he was on the run through some soybeans, but unfortunately missed. Had a blast though, and my father's pretty damn good at calling them in.

We've got a trip planned for outwest to kill truckloads of prairie dogs as soon as I finish college. Can't wait for that.

But to answer your original question about hunting; I'll be the first to tell you I'm not the best hunter in the world. I just like to do what I can.

If I can get my grandpa to like you I could take you Coyote hunting on his 450+ acres in Coshocton

I'm at that point in my life where I'm all out of hobby ideas and want to get into gun collecting / hunting. As a youth I went hunting every other year with my uncles but haven't been since about the age of 17, and really don't know much about it regardless.

My question is what are some good local resources for hunting, I've read through wildohio.com . . . . good info there. And what are the best types of rifles to use when hunting, 12ga for deer? 22ga for small game?

Would just like some local opinions. . . I also have 40 acres in southern ohio I'm going to use for hunting if someone wants to team up with me to show me the ropes come December for deer.

I suggest that you go to the ODNR and pick up an ohio hunting regulations book. it has every rule and limitation that you must follow when hunting in ohio. (where you can hunt, what you can hunt, what you can hunt with, etc.)

I'm mostly a deer hunter. I've taken 3 deer in the last 2 years with my crossbow out at Ohio Power (east of Zanesville). I've seen deer when I had my muzzleloader or 12ga with slugs, but was not permitted by Ohio laws to shoot. i.e. I already shot a buck that year.

i use to duck/goose hunt a lot, but havent in the last few years. kinda wanna get back into it which is why i was trying to find an 1187 super mag trade for my G26.

LJ - we should do some bird hunting this year if i get off my ass and get some new waders.

i use to pheasant hunt too, but i was lazy back there and hated the walking. i wouldnt mind it now.

tried deer bow hunting, had all the gear, just couldnt get into it. oh well.

to the OP - does the 40 acres you have access to have water on it??

just get a 12 gauge

Can't deer hunt with a rifle in Ohio

you can hunt smaller game with a 12 gauge by using smaller shot pellet shells

It's almost cheating...with the huge spread on the shells - but whatever (my dad uses a 410 for pheasant hunting so it's more challenging - but hell with that)

It'll admittedly barely harm the bird if you hit him. Sometimes a 12 gauge will mess one up so bad it's nearly worthless.

And then throw a slug into it for deer hunting

Just make sure a dime passes through the end of the shotgun barrel - to make sure it isn't a full choke

If it has adjustable chokes - not a matter

But some 12 gauges with full chokes won't let a deer slug pass through (too narrow)

Otherwise, any 12 gauge will fire a regular slug. It'll be pretty accurate.

When you get really good, you'll want a deer slug barrel (little better)

And then you can buy a rifled deer slug barrel (shoots rifled deer slugs - even more accurate)

But, for the beginner....a remington 1100 or 1187 or mossberg 9200 will do everything you want/need

I'd go with an automatic, save up some $$ (semi-auto)

When you see a big deer in front of you, you'll forget to pump that sucker. And, having to take your eyes off the target to pump is not fun

i've had a dozen or so deer in the last several years

i use to duck/goose hunt a lot, but havent in the last few years. kinda wanna get back into it which is why i was trying to find an 1187 super mag trade for my G26.

LJ - we should do some bird hunting this year if i get off my ass and get some new waders.

i use to pheasant hunt too, but i was lazy back there and hated the walking. i wouldnt mind it now.

tried deer bow hunting, had all the gear, just couldnt get into it. oh well.

to the OP - does the 40 acres you have access to have water on it??

Ok for real this time... saturday morning... handgun shooting, my club

dont think i have any plans. ill bring the M&P out. what time?

OSU game is at noon... so if you wanna carpool, 9

if you just wanna follow... 10

(I am going to my parent's house for the OSU game, which is in SE Delaware county on the way back from the club)

Can you bring the 26 with the flat bottom mags too? no uh... reason, just wanna look at it... yeah

yeah, ill bring it out. how much ammo you plan on bringing out? ill just follow you out there. how far of a drive is it?

Probably 50 target loads, 5 or so hydra shocks, and if you want you can have probably around 35 Remington UMC 9mm rounds... but let me warn you, they are HOT

oh and range is 25 yards, lol, i suggest bringing a large target or shooting from a rest. If no one is there we can sneak to the 10 yard outdoor (members only)

it is 20 miles, but straight up 605 so it only takes at most 20 minutes to get there, but it is free rather than $20 at NASR

shouldnt have been on their property. lol

and i'm pretty sure once you turn 18, you only have to say you've had a license in the past or taken the course, you dont have to furnish any proof...at least thats how it was when i worked at gander mountain ~6-7 years ago

but nonetheless, if you havent been out in 10+ years, and not 100% sure what you're getting into, it wouldnt be a bad idea to take the course again. i dont believe it costs anything, but i could be wrong. it is like 12 hours though, but most places do it in like 3-4 sessions

shouldnt have been on their property. lol

and i'm pretty sure once you turn 18, you only have to say you've had a license in the past or taken the course, you dont have to furnish any proof...at least thats how it was when i worked at gander mountain ~6-7 years ago

but nonetheless, if you havent been out in 10+ years, and not 100% sure what you're getting into, it wouldnt be a bad idea to take the course again. i dont believe it costs anything, but i could be wrong. it is like 12 hours though, but most places do it in like 3-4 sessions

As far as I'm aware, you are required to take the hunter safety course regardless of ago.

Yes you can sometimes get by with saying that you already had a license before, however if you have a hunting accident and they find out that you never took the course, I'd hate to see the consequences.

get a bow and take up bowhunting. Much more challenging and you get 3 months to hunt deer instead of 10 days. Also, get a muzzle loader and shoot that a while. They're a blast to shoot.