Jeep Wrangler: What to look for...

TheHaze

Update: I don't think 2nd grinds after all. I can't tell if it's supposed to feel that way, though. If I double-clutch shift, it feels smooth as can be. Synchros maybe? I did tell the salesman that it was definitely grinding and he just said "yeah, I think so." :rolleyes:

I really like how it drives and the gas mileage isn't doing as poor as I thought. I told the guy that the price would have to be a lot different for me to buy it, because of all the things I would need to fix if I drive it away.

Uh...price?

Feel free to PM me. :)

-Marc

will do. its a wrangler sport. i just talked to them, and my dad wants to sell it--he can't drive a manual anymore, and its just too high off the ground for him and my mom. turns out it has 52k miles i believe. almost certain its the wheel bearings that are bad on it--the car drives just fine though. about 5 months ago i replaced the fluid in both differentials, the tranny, and the crankcase. my 60+ year old mom drives this car 4 miles to work every day. i'll do a bit of looking, to figure out a reasonable price, and then obviously subtract what it would cost to get the bearings fixed.

and my parents live just south of cleveland.

the 6 cyl jeeps are actually worse than the 4 cyl jeeps when it comes to gearing, and the 4 cyl really isnt that bad on gas when lifted. I have a 2000 se with a 4" superlift and 35" grabbers and make it through as much if not more mud than TrailCity 4x4's f250 on 46" boggers i havent once had an issue with the drivetrain on mine. so if your looking for a jeep to drive to work during the week and play on the weekend i would go with a 4 cyl

the 6 cyl jeeps are actually worse than the 4 cyl jeeps when it comes to gearing, and the 4 cyl really isnt that bad on gas when lifted. I have a 2000 se with a 4" superlift and 35" grabbers and make it through as much if not more mud than TrailCity 4x4's f250 on 46" boggers i havent once had an issue with the drivetrain on mine. so if your looking for a jeep to drive to work during the week and play on the weekend i would go with a 4 cyl

you're on crack!

yeah the 4banger has 4.10's in the diffs. But most 4.0's have 3.55/3.73. And with 35" tires to be remotely decent final drive you'd need 5.13's minimum(which your stock axles can only go 4.88). You think it's fine because you're used to it.

my jeep will go 80 with 35s on it and not have any problem doing it. yeah it takes a little longer but not much i dont have anything done gear wise hell performance wise i only have a ram air

And your point is? who fawkin cares how fats it goes. My jeep has done over 100 in the desert. Does that make me cooler? Just because you can doesn't make it right. If you ever grow up and get some gears you'll love that jeep way more. the 4 banger is very lacking with 35's. don't bother re-gearing it, and it's that much worse. Stupid statements spew out of your mouth on a daily basis huh?

I agree on something a little less extreme, but I don't think it looks bad.

huge gaps between the body and the bumpers/step bars look terrible. Body lifts are a way to get that last little bit of wiggle room for big tires for offroading, and all too often they are used as a cheap way to lift trucks. I don't think its a particularly safe way to lift stuff, and it would annoy me to all hell that the shifter sits that much lower.

Thats not a bad drop from 10k+ I might have you negotiate my next car. What kind of consulting fee would you charge?

It'll be a blast in winter (that one day when it snows here)

You know the rules of the jeep wave, right :)

Final purchase price: $6200 before tax and fees. I almost felt bad about lying about damn near everything to Jack Maxton, but they were doing the same. HUGE thanks to Drewz2nr.

Now remember when they try and charge you 250 bucks for documentation fee. That fee is not regulated by law to HAVE to be 250. It is only CAPPED at a max of 250 for doc fee. They can set that value to whatever they want. Almost all dealers set that number at 250 cause basically it is a free 250 dollar profit that they say they have to collect.

As for consultation no charge for that stuff. I can give a very good basis where to be at on a vehicle. I can provide information if you want to know something just give me a shout in a pm I will be happy to help.

Thats not a bad drop from 10k+ I might have you negotiate my next car. What kind of consulting fee would you charge?

It'll be a blast in winter (that one day when it snows here)

You know the rules of the jeep wave, right :)

Wow, I had 4 waves today and a guy in a Taurus tell me how nice it was. :D