street legal MotoGP bikes as a rule?

natedogg624

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/173139-0/should_motogp_bikes_be_sold.html

reminds me of the old GT1 Le mans class (Toyota Gt-one, Mercedes CLK-GTR, Porsche GT1, etc) where it required x number of road legal cars in order to enter its prototype into the class.

not sure if it would be implemented or not into the rules, but it could be a step in the right direction.

i just saw that.

i know ducati already does this with the desmo RR, but they already appeal to the higher priced buyer. to its not a huge price strech in the eyes of their consumers. where as i dont think the other companies would sell as many "motoGP" like bikes but who knows maybe some feircly brand loyal diehard honsukawiamaha fans will be there to get a few.

well same with the LM GT1 class, those were expensive as hell and i would never be able to afford anything like that.

but just to make the option available would be neat, IMO

and no doubt the would fill their required allotment in no time. Desmo RR sold out within 6-8 months. and it contributed 68M euros to their business.

MOTOGP is the prototypes and all the expense that goes with it. I personally like it. Then the Superbikes, be the less expensive and format is purported to be street (appearing) bikes. All of this as I understand in my limited readings. Tires limited to one manufacturer...again to limit costs to racers, but maybe input from manufacturers too. How many tires do ya need to make and bring to the race?

My personal preference is the MOTOGP, the F1 of motorcycles, so I'd say leave it be. Do yer limitations at the Superbike group...single format (think like them lil' Legends cars...engines are all sealed etc.-becomes a rider formula, rather than major bucks win). But, I'm still a newbie.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/173139-0/should_motogp_bikes_be_sold.html

reminds me of the old GT1 Le mans class (Toyota Gt-one, Mercedes CLK-GTR, Porsche GT1, etc) where it required x number of road legal cars in order to enter its prototype into the class.

not sure if it would be implemented or not into the rules, but it could be a step in the right direction.

It's called WSBK and if MotoGP does it, it will kill one of the series. I cannot believe that MotoGP would do production based bikes as the prototype idea will allow more bikes, for sure, but it will make WSBK less attractive to sponsors and factory support...

If they limit it to say 500 total units available, I can see it - possibly, but I want prototypes and nothing street based in MotoGP. It's like F1 - they are all prototype in design and nothing street oriented...

I think this economy thing is making it so they all will have a tough time dealing with racing ANYTHING. But, Kawasaki has MORE than enough R&D info to be building bikes for years.

I think that we will start seeing more and more the way it used to be - 4 to 5 years for a particular design to hold with graphic changes only. No more every two years a bike gets a complete design change. Or, if they do 2 years as usual, they only change minimal things like the MX bikes do...

MOTOGP is the prototypes and all the expense that goes with it. I personally like it. Then the Superbikes, be the less expensive and format is purported to be street (appearing) bikes. All of this as I understand in my limited readings. Tires limited to one manufacturer...again to limit costs to racers, but maybe input from manufacturers too. How many tires do ya need to make and bring to the race?

My personal preference is the MOTOGP, the F1 of motorcycles, so I'd say leave it be. Do yer limitations at the Superbike group...single format (think like them lil' Legends cars...engines are all sealed etc.-becomes a rider formula, rather than major bucks win). But, I'm still a newbie.

back in the day michelin teams used to do practice tests on friday of the weekend, give their results back to the michelin factory and have purpose built tires for that track/conditions/temp/etc ready by saturday or sunday.

im pretty sure thats accurate, i remember reading it somewhere i just don't remember if it was a credible source or not.

back in the day michelin teams used to do practice tests on friday of the weekend, give their results back to the michelin factory and have purpose built tires for that track/conditions/temp/etc ready by saturday or sunday.

im pretty sure thats accurate, i remember reading it somewhere i just don't remember if it was a credible source or not.

They actually were able to make tires at the track in a special trailer they always brought... Don't ask me how, but that's the story...

They were always abl;e to make up tires and have them to the track the next day at the latest no matter what. Hence, the reason why MotoGP went to the tire rules back in 07 and now they are spec so, it really doesn't matter...