Get your money out of the market now??

Casper

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's referring to money you will need soon (5 yrs). This kind of advise would be aimed, for example, at people very close to retirement. Conventional wisdom is that the closer you get to taking your money out of investments, the more conservative an allocation you would want (less stocks, more bonds/money market, etc) so as to have a more predictable return. Experts at the moment (he's not the only one) are just modifying the advice a bit, saying NO stocks if you're going to need that money soon.

exactly...

and Cramer is pretty good at his market analysis as a whole, in terms of stock picks, he is a major loser.

Quoted for truth.

Well... i technically "bought" today, but I bought sells... if that makes sense...

Make some good dough off of some ultrashorts...

sold for +$8 on oil ultra short

+$3.50 on Dow Jones ultra short

I've made a nice little pile lately playing banks on all the political news. Got out of the short term stuff last thursday except I got a bunch of gold now that companies like Yamaha Gold (AUY) are below $7 per share. It'll be back up again soon and I'll cash out.

I've seen a couple of people say this, so to hopefully educate... The stock market and the economy as a whole are NOT directly linked. The "market" is a foward-looking mechanism in which people attempt to find a fair value for a company, based on aspects like recurring revenues, debt load, and physical assets, then mash all that up with some *guesses* about things like growth prospects and whether or not their R&D will pan out, to arrive at what you think a fair value for that company is. If the stock is below that price, you buy, and if it's above, you sell. Look at the bottom of every prospectus, and you'll see something to the effect of "Past performance is no guarantee of future returns." Quite simply, just because Company A has grown at 20% annually for the past fifty years, there's nothing to say they won't fall flat on their face next year. What we have now are a LOT of smart people changing their future growth/revenue/etc *guesses* negatively, and deciding that that particular stock is overpriced.

This sudden glut of supply causes prices to drop, which then makes less reasoned people panic and sell because they don't really understand why they bought in the first place. Their purchase was based on myths like "Stocks always go up," or "My broker will tell me when to get out," and now they're afraid of losing everything, so they rush for the exits like rats off a sinking ship.

I've seen a couple other people quote Buffett already (be greedy when others are fearful....), so I know there are at least a few people out there who at least have an idea what they're doing. They can probably ignore me. The rest of ya's, get to learning before you get back into the market. There's a lot of money to be made, yes, but for every winner, there's also a loser. You do not want to be that loser.

You HAVE to be kidding.

So I Google searched for Cramer's historical returns, because I know they are bad (like -15% last year or some bullshit) and his is a notorious loser... and it came up with a Henry Blodget article talking about how bad Cramer is...

ROFL... that's like one bum calling another bum a "poor son of a bitch"

Dow dropped almost 700 points today......Though there's no one specific place to blame the market but the banking industry has brought on a lot of this, but I guess that happens when you let an industry like this go on unregulated.

A buddy of mine just got me interested in trading on the market. He said right now is a good time to buy if I dont mind waiting it out. I plan to make my first buy this weekend.

Yes now is a great time to buy. We might be heading for a total collapse, maybe not, but minimize your risk by getting into a nicely rated ETF mutual fund. Usually the better ones require a higher minimum starting price (such as $2500-10K.) Just don't buy into a load fund or annuity and you should see profits if you wait it out then sell when you've had a very up years.

Also mutual funds can be sold after 180days of owner ship without penalty otherwise you get an early termination fee which can eat your profits easily.

Hehe anyone notice the one thing thats up big in the last few months is the US Dollar?