What's better - Mustangs or Camaros?

fictionwriter

kenny did those firebirds come with buick v6 turbos? I thought they were dogs from the factory, or am i thinking 2nd gens?

You're thinking the 304(or 307 can't remember) Turbo Firebirds I think that started in 78 and went til 80.

http://www.pontiacserver.com/blackhawk02/80tapc-fl800c.jpg

89 TTA had a 3.8 LC2 motor.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by reputation, Mustangs are faster stock, more dependable, have more mods available cheaper and come with better paint jobs from the factory. I would like to know what everyone thinks about this. Comparing both the v6's and v8's.

you got it about right accept about being faster stock, camaro/birds have usually had bigger engines and more HP from the factory. Well, untill they killed ther camaro because not enough people gave a shit about it :D

Third gen camaro has the best body style of any car made in those production years, minus exotic cars. Stick with your RS dude.

your stupid, the fox body/SN95/New edge is pretty much bolt-on interchangable from 1979-2004. K members, suspensions ect. mix and match to your liking.

you got it about right accept about being faster stock, camaro/birds have usually had bigger engines and more HP from the factory. Well, untill they killed ther camaro because not enough people gave a shit about it :D

Except the actually SIZE of the engine, once the Ford Mod motors came out, is actually larger than the LT1/LS1 motors. Physical size, not internal displacement. And in all honestly, unless you are racing in a call that has displacement requirements, physical size is FAR more important.

I sure wouldn't say the Mustang has better paint than the F-body. Excluding beat to death cars from both makers, I see far more flaking paint on cared for cars from Mustangs, both SN95 and Fox, than I do with F-bodys. Rust doesn't seem to be much of an issue with either, at least when considering age vs. most other cars of the same age.

I'd say reliablility is about on par with both.

so are 82-02 f bodies for the most part

Excluding some internal motor parts (crank/rod/pistons,rocker arms), please show me some parts that actually interchange between a 3rd gen and even a LT1 4th gen F-body. Wheels = nope. Interior pieces, nope. Suspension parts don't either (some are similar, but not interchangeable). Neither are the brakes, exhaust, intake, cooling systems are different...way less similar than a Fox vs SN95 5.0.

I've owned both, and can't imagine ever owning another Mustang. Maybe an 03-04 Cobra, but I'd have to get one for a steal to even consider that. I'd also say that's the best looking of all Mustangs (at least for past 30 some years).

Excluding some internal motor parts (crank/rod/pistons,rocker arms), please show me some parts that actually interchange between a 3rd gen and even a LT1 4th gen F-body. Wheels = nope. Interior pieces, nope. Suspension parts don't either (some are similar, but not interchangeable). Neither are the brakes, exhaust, intake, cooling systems are different...way less similar than a Fox vs SN95 5.0.

Actually most of the rear suspension will interchange, transmissions can be made to work, and the cat-backs are extremly close (can be made to work with little effort). Yes they are a lot less similar than Mustangs, but it isn't GM's fault for updating the cars instead of leaving the thing almost unchanged for over a decade.

My personal opinion is that both have their pro's and their con's. The LSX is generally faster stock for stock(minus the 03 cobra). I was going to say a whole bunch of shit, but it boils down like this, the LSX powered cars are superior IMHO to the mustang(again, minus the 03 cobra). THe cobra is a well built car. Responds to mods well. Only flaw is the high speed engine lock ups. Therefore, don't drive like a maniac or a ricer and you in the money.

Jackson

Except the actually SIZE of the engine, once the Ford Mod motors came out, is actually larger than the LT1/LS1 motors. Physical size, not internal displacement. And in all honestly, unless you are racing in a call that has displacement requirements, physical size is FAR more important.

Physical size compared to the engine compartment . . . in a modular it takes all of about 20 min. to change plugs. Modular motors went into stangs in 1996 Ease to work on swings WAY on the side of the mustangs in comparison with 1993+ F-bodies

Physical size compared to the engine compartment . . . in a modulater it takes all of about 20 min. to change plugs. Modular motors went into stangs in 1996 Ease to work on swings WAY on the side of the mustangs in comparison with 1993+ F-bodies

quoted for truth !

I have worked on 2 ls cars and it was not fun.

I sure wouldn't say the Mustang has better paint than the F-body. Excluding beat to death cars from both makers, I see far more flaking paint on cared for cars from Mustangs, both SN95 and Fox, than I do with F-bodys. Rust doesn't seem to be much of an issue with either, at least when considering age vs. most other cars of the same age.

I actually don't know a lot about 15 year old Mustangs. But I know that the third gen's were manufactured in California and painted with a water-based environmentally friendly paint because of CARB laws there. The 90-92 f-bodys got the same paint applied with a turbo-bell system which made it look better but the clear coat still doesn't hold up well. 4th gen camaros were manufactured in Canada where they used the good stuff.

I've seen some fox bodies with great paint and some with not so great, same goes for some ford probe's. But I've definitely seen more rusted out f-bodies than Mustangs. Keep the votes coming guys, this has been really informative. I'm saving up for a Stang GT, but yes, I'm keeping the RS.

P.S. Someone mentioned the 4.6 v8 was a failed platform? I'm not arguing, I was just wondering why it is. My daily driver is an 02 crown vic with the 4.6 so I'd like to hear about it.