Sporting New Snow Shoes

TTQ B4U

Well I finally had a chance to clean up the car after putting on her new snow shoes. Now hopefully I can pick up a nice find like this again in 18" size for summer :D

In the mean time, at least I won't have to worry as much about snow like I did with the same summer only stock BFG's on my GXP.

Snow Shoes: 205/50/17 O.Z. Superleggera & Blizzak LM-25's. Stock Summer Only Shoes are 215/45/18's.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/105666227.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/105667393.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/105669550.jpg

Looks good! Even though they are smaller, I like them better than your factory rims

Thanks! I wish they were 18's. I may just make them my autocross wheels next summer and find another set of 17's for the snow next year :cool: I'll be scanning Craigslist for deals like this from now on.

I know, I actually feel guilty but if I have to have winter shoes, I'm happy they are at least nice ones. Found them on Craigslist. 53yr old women had them on an RX8 that she traded in for a Saturn Aura and wanted them out of her garage. The WS50's she had on them were a bit too tall for my car so I turned around and sold them on CraigsList too :D She only had 31k on the car and less than 12k on the tires. Heck the guy who bought them made out as well as I did.

I love those wheels. I cant belive your gonna use such a nice wheel for winter. Where did you pick those up at?

Wow thats a pretty lucky deal. Your lucky I didnt see them first! lol. Those would look great on my girls MSP. I just picked up some mazda 3 steelies and hub caps that I was gonna use for her winter wheels and Im willing to trade you straight up for those! lol. j/k

Wow thats a pretty lucky deal. Your lucky I didnt see them first! lol. Those would look great on my girls MSP. I just picked up some mazda 3 steelies and hub caps that I was gonna use for her winter wheels and Im willing to trade you straight up for those! lol. j/k

it was CL so I was real skeptical if they were abused or what not. I even made sure I came "prepared" in case it was a set-up too. Once I met the couple my initial though was they were from their kids or something. THen I found out they were just into spending lots of money on wheels even for winter :)

Such details will vary depending on the tire. The previous WS-50's I had on are now replaced by the 60's. They were not good handling wise on my car. I think it's because the car is an ice skater and those tires were like boots. Squishy and not good on curves...for my car anyway.

Now that I have the 25's on there, which are a performance snow tire, they really handle well and are much better matched to the car.

Overall, these are very quite. Not noticeable to me at all. Handling wise, they are good, but of course, they are not summer tires, so I'm still careful, but they don't feel squishy or unsafe. Again, I think the key is matching up the right tire for the car.

Not sure about tread wear overall. Honestly, it didn't come into play for me. I want the very best handling tire in snow. They will however last longer in cold weather for a number of reasons. One being my driving habits in snow vs on dry road :o Some Blizzaks have the multicell compound that wears quicker, but mine do not as they are speed rated. That alone I think accounted for the handling I didn't like in the old set.

I plan on running them from Nov. to March.

How good are tires like that when its not snowy or wet out? I was just wondering if they are a rough ride or poor tread life if used on fair weather days like today.

CraigsList deal....couldn't pass them up. 16's clear, but then I like the fact that these look really good seem to fit the car well style wise.

I'm surprised you went with 17" for the winter, it looks like 16s would clear, and you get the benefit of cheaper tires and less chance of pothole damage.

your sig makes me miss my TTZ :( Very nice.

Great looking winter set up, one of my favorite wheels. I've always wanted to give the Blizzak's a try but could never justify it since I live 3 blocks from work, plus I'm a cheap bastard lol.