mini atv questions......

xlr8tn

I'm looking to get my son a mini atv. He'll be 6 in June. I keep seeing where everyone says it's not legal for him to ride one until he's 6. Is that just on public land or is that private land also? I also see where they recommend a 50cc quad for him but IMO that's to small. He's been riding an electric quad since he was 2. Granted, I know that's not the same but pretty much all the quad's I've looked at can be limited down to 5mph. I was thinking about getting him a 90 or 110....too much for him? I'm pretty confident in his ability to ride them and his level of maturity but at the same time I don't really know shit about it as far as what size to get him. I'm just going by what I feel he can do.

Lastly, do any of you guys have experience with the chinese ebay atv's? Are the name brand quads really worth that much more? I can get the ebay 110cc quad's for less than a grand and we went and looked at a suzuki 50 yesterday that was ~$500 more than that. Is it $500 better for half the engine? I just can't help but think that if he can get a few years out of one he'll be moving up to something bigger anyhow so why not get a cheap one to start on. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

id say get an older suzuki 90 which were common and automatic...

or an older honda 70 which was a pullstart manual.

both quads are cheap easy to maintain and a good starter and way better quality than those fucking china bay peices of shit.

I appreciate all the info guys. He'll be 6 in June and will most likely be riding it here on our property until then anyhow. I'm not going to run out and buy one tomorrow but I would like to be informed before I do buy something for him. Thanks for the help.

Buy my KX85

how much do you want for it? Honestly though I'd rather buy him something new since he'll be riding it a few years. I don't want to have to spend a lot of time working on something to keep it running and he'll most likely be pretty hard on one. Is yours in good shape? PM me a price.

I'd honestly stay clear of the mini ATVs. They're heavy enough to hurt a child pretty bad in the event of a roll-over but at the same time they're turd slow and barely have enough power to ride around a decently lumpy back yard.

Instead I'd look at a KLX 110. It's cluch-less so it'll be easy to pick up, but it's definitely a bike he can grow with. Hell, you'll find yourself riding it way more than you'll admit to.

I'd honestly stay clear of the mini ATVs. They're heavy enough to hurt a child pretty bad in the event of a roll-over but at the same time they're turd slow and barely have enough power to ride around a decently lumpy back yard.

Instead I'd look at a KLX 110. It's cluch-less so it'll be easy to pick up, but it's definitely a bike he can grow with. Hell, you'll find yourself riding it way more than you'll admit to.

the plan is for me to get one at some point. :D That'll be a seperate "what should I buy" thread. Look for it late this summer or next spring. :D I've wanted one pretty much my entire life but just never got around to it. Seems like when ever toy money comes available something else like a car ends up with it. :D Since my son is getting to that age where me and him can enjoy the same toys I'll hopefully start getting some of the stuff that's been on the back burner. My buddy was just over this weekend and has a polaris 700 he said he'd sell me for $2k but it needs a CV joint I guess. I'm not even sure how serious he was about it. I've seen it and it's a good looking quad but I want a sport quad and not a work quad.

my son is 5 and he has had a quad for two years. I bought a cheap 110cc. he dosen't ride it that much. I bought mine from http://www.bestpriceatv.com, however I have heard some very bad things from them since. and you def get what you pay for. the susp is stiff and you can just tell its cheaply made. however he is highly supervised and it has held up well for us. I would def go 90 or 110 though.

if you do go to a dealership looking for a quad for him, do not mention his age. if they know your kids age is under the limit to ride it they can be fined 100,000 bucks by the gov. no joke!

that's what I didn't understand though...... maybe it's for me and I just have him along for the ride. Know what I'm saying? It's not in his name so why should they care or be held liable?

that's what I didn't understand though...... maybe it's for me and I just have him along for the ride. Know what I'm saying? It's not in his name so why should they care or be held liable?

it's not worth it for any dealership to risk it. They have the possibility of paying fines out the ass and losing their manufacturer backing if they're caught knowingly breaking those age limits on selling quads.

If you're dead set on buying a quad you'll have to lie about his age because as soon as the dealer hears he's not of age they'll basically tell you to go somewhere else (not in a mean way, unless they're ass-hats).

I still maintain that a small dirtbike is FAR more safe and will keep your son's interest for MUCH longer. Either way make sure he has the proper gear.

it's not worth it for any dealership to risk it. They have the possibility of paying fines out the ass and losing their manufacturer backing if they're caught knowingly breaking those age limits on selling quads.

If you're dead set on buying a quad you'll have to lie about his age because as soon as the dealer hears he's not of age they'll basically tell you to go somewhere else (not in a mean way, unless they're ass-hats).

I still maintain that a small dirtbike is FAR more safe and will keep your son's interest for MUCH longer. Either way make sure he has the proper gear.

I see what you're saying. Kind of a dumbass law though to hold a dealership responsible. Last time I checked I was responsible for my kids well being. :D It would be like holding a car dealership responsible for a car crash. Guess that's just where the country is heading. Some shit head parent let their kid get hurt and looked to blame someone else because there's no way it was their fault. If I go through a dealership I'll wait until June when he's of age so there won't be any hassles. He will be geared up from head to toe.

When i Bought my first atv i was younger then 16 and recommended age was 16 they sold it no problem... I would worry about it if they ask tell them it for your other kid...I would recommend 80cc + yamaha has a 125 Breeze but i would do the suzuki 80 or Honda trx 90 I would try to find a nice used one though usually not much use since they are meant for smaller kids...my first quad was an old honda 80 i loved it haha

• 3 weeks later...

well, I bought him one a couple weeks ago. I couldn't get past the price tag on the chinese quads. Bought this one new for $485....if it tears up I can buy 3 or 4 more and still be cheaper than a honda. :D He's been riding it for a couple weeks...just enough to have the yard tore all to hell. Loves it.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/0rion_album/023-2.jpg