Dog people, I need some help/advice

Aaron

So as some of you know we recently decided to try to get our new Husky pup Zoey a new home. Well I am having second thoughts. The problem is that I get REALLY confused when reading our resident dog Lucy's behavior. Lucy is the best dog my wife and I could have asked for, she was a handful when younger but has grown into the ideal dog.

When they play together, I have a hard time differentiating what is play, what is jealousy and what is hostile behavior. Lucy has never instigated a fight, and is submissive in nature. She likes to play with Zoey, they run around together, play tug of war with stray socks etc. They bark at each other, growl (never aggressively) and play bite. None of their actions seem mean, however I get confused. Lucy will open her mouth to show teeth and nip at zoey, zoey will do the same. Lucy will get on top of zoey, nipping at the neck, legs etc, but never hurting zoey. Zoey will do similar things like bite the extra skin around lucy's neck and have her mouth open.

The thing is when Zoey "shouts" in pain, lucy stops for a second to make sure everything is ok which is good behavior I read online. They seem to both instigate play time.

Zoey seems to annoy lucy though. Lucy will be laying on the couch, zoey will try to jump up, and lucy will get annoyed and jump down and be like WTF.

Other times they play "lovey" like; being real gentle, sharing toys, etc

We both really like zoey, and do not want to see her go. We don't want to get rid of her because she is too much work, we wan to make sure lucy will not be harmed emotionally by adding Zoey to our family. We need some help to see if their interactions are indeed acceptable in the dog world.

Thanks guys.

Guest Removed

Zoey seems to annoy lucy though. Lucy will be laying on the couch, zoey will try to jump up, and lucy will get annoyed and jump down and be like WTF.

is this the issue you are having? seems like the only one to me. remember, zoey is still just a pup, and needs more exercise, and discipline.

Remember, dogs are really living things too, like people. If you adopted a child in to your family, how long do you think it would take them and everyone else to get situated and used to everything? Dogs nip and nibble as a sign of affection and also emotion towards the other. It sounds like they're just adjusting. There may be some territorial issue here as well, seeing as how Lucy seems to be the older one.

is this the issue you are having? seems like the only one to me. remember, zoey is still just a pup, and needs more exercise, and discipline.

We do need to exercise zoey a bit more, and we have been doing daily training to help her mentally exercise.

This is the exact reason we are seeking outside help/info because I think we both forgot what a puppy acts like.

Thanks for the reply.

Remember, dogs are really living things too, like people. If you adopted a child in to your family, how long do you think it would take them and everyone else to get situated and used to everything? Dogs nip and nibble as a sign of affection and also emotion towards the other. It sounds like they're just adjusting. There may be some territorial issue here as well, seeing as how Lucy seems to be the older one.

Its been about 3 weeks, so are you saying that we are expecting too much? Is the behavior explained above acceptable?

Just looking for some direction.

Thanks

you also have to realize that a puppy is goign to annoy another dog thats settled into being the "only dog".

My dog was 3 when i got my second dog and she hated her.. wouldnt have anythign to do with her..

today they run around and chase squirrels..

Trust me when they get aggressive with each other, you will know.

my dogs do the same thing all the time.

the play, and sometimes nip at each other, showing teeth even. but never had an issue. they play, and annoy each other all the time

Sounds like we are being a bit over cautious with lucy then.

Thanks.

you also have to realize that a puppy is goign to annoy another dog thats settled into being the "only dog".

My dog was 3 when i got my second dog and she hated her.. wouldnt have anythign to do with her..

today they run around and chase squirrels..

Trust me when they get aggressive with each other, you will know.

Any specific hints you could give us to help the process? or will time be the biggest aid.

We have started to really set up rules with zoey. Lucy gets her food put down first, drinks the water first, gets pet first etc. We do however make sure zoey has plenty of all of the above.

Thanks

Husky is a tough breed for a pet, especially when they have another dog around. Watch any group of dogsledders with their dogs. They tie them up separate when they aren't running. High energy, extreme pack mentality.

Husky is a tough breed for a pet, especially when they have another dog around. Watch any group of dogsledders with their dogs. They tie them up separate when they aren't running. High energy, extreme pack mentality.

All of my research on the internet shows that the Husky is a dog that does very well with other dogs. They infact recommend having a second dog with a Husky.

Our Boxer/Ridgeback is also a high energy dog.

So as some of you know we recently decided to try to get our new Husky pup Zoey a new home. Well I am having second thoughts. The problem is that I get REALLY confused when reading our resident dog Lucy's behavior. Lucy is the best dog my wife and I could have asked for, she was a handful when younger but has grown into the ideal dog.

When they play together, I have a hard time differentiating what is play, what is jealousy and what is hostile behavior. Lucy has never instigated a fight, and is submissive in nature. She likes to play with Zoey, they run around together, play tug of war with stray socks etc. They bark at each other, growl (never aggressively) and play bite. None of their actions seem mean, however I get confused. Lucy will open her mouth to show teeth and nip at zoey, zoey will do the same. Lucy will get on top of zoey, nipping at the neck, legs etc, but never hurting zoey. Zoey will do similar things like bite the extra skin around lucy's neck and have her mouth open.

The thing is when Zoey "shouts" in pain, lucy stops for a second to make sure everything is ok which is good behavior I read online. They seem to both instigate play time.

Other times they play "lovey" like; being real gentle, sharing toys, etc

We both really like zoey, and do not want to see her go. We don't want to get rid of her because she is too much work, we wan to make sure lucy will not be harmed emotionally by adding Zoey to our family. We need some help to see if their interactions are indeed acceptable in the dog world.

Thanks guys.

You'll know when they are being aggressive, trust me. The pup will likely react very submissively and not likely be hurt. Just watch if they are each chewing on a bone or something like that...they will tend to want what the other has and that's when trouble can brew. Overall, it sounds like just typical puppy / non-puppy behavior. Remember, the older one is just likely showing a bit of dominance along with sibling rivalry rolled into a play-factor. Ours do it all the time.

If you saw our little boxer pup play with her old 8.5yr old brother, you'd think we're raising fighting dogs. Not all the time, but when they play rough, the really go at it. Other time they just mouth and growl and bark. They are each working on their relationship and place in the pack while having fun.

The only issue you might want to read up on is how two females will get along. In the boxer world, it will result in fighting as they age, thus why it's always suggested to get one male and one female.

I'll try and link some vids if I have them. They are going at it right now...typical after dinner play and energy. They get it from our kids :D

Couldn't agree more, sounds like they are just adjusting and testing their boundries with each other. Agression typically shows up very quickly if there's an issue.

Guest Removed
Is the behavior explained above acceptable?

Thanks

yes. things should settle down in a few more weeks.

zoey seems to be showing signs of dominance over lucy. you need to show zoey who the dominate one is. you.

You'll know when they are being aggressive, trust me. The pup will likely react very submissively and not likely be hurt. Just watch if they are each chewing on a bone or something like that...they will tend to want what the other has and that's when trouble can brew. Overall, it sounds like just typical puppy / non-puppy behavior. Remember, the older one is just likely showing a bit of dominance along with sibling rivalry rolled into a play-factor. Ours do it all the time.

If you saw our little boxer pup play with her old 8.5yr old brother, you'd think we're raising fighting dogs. Not all the time, but when they play rough, the really go at it. Other time they just mouth and growl and bark. They are each working on their relationship and place in the pack while having fun.

The only issue you might want to read up on is how two females will get along. In the boxer world, it will result in fighting as they age, thus why it's always suggested to get one male and one female.

I'll try and link some vids if I have them. They are going at it right now...typical after dinner play and energy. They get it from our kids :D

I was hoping you would post up since you had Boxers. Thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

I did read up on 2 females being the worst combo of dogs for aggression issues. I will certainly read up more on this with regards to Boxers/Ridgebacks.

Zoey will be getting fixed as soon as the vet says its time, they say that will greatly reduce the chance of aggression.

Lucy always has her butt in the air, and front low in the "play" stance. She also "hops" like a deer while playing which reassure me that she is just playing.

Post up those links if you get a chance.

Thanks.

yes. things should settle down in a few more weeks.

zoey seems to be showing signs of dominance over lucy. you need to show zoey who the dominate one is. you.

It should be interesting to see what social order they turn out to establish. While zoey is showing some signs, Lucy regularly kicks her ass lol, and will be a good 20lbs heavier. Lucy wore the "pants" with my brothers red doberman until his dobe was about 4" taller and 30lbs heavier than her.

Thanks for the info/help.

I was hoping you would post up since you had Boxers. Thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

I did read up on 2 females being the worst combo of dogs for aggression issues. I will certainly read up more on this with regards to Boxers/Ridgebacks.

Zoey will be getting fixed as soon as the vet says its time, they say that will greatly reduce the chance of aggression.

Lucy always has her butt in the air, and front low in the "play" stance. She also "hops" like a deer while playing which reassure me that she is just playing.

Post up those links if you get a chance.

Thanks.

Good lord, she is only 11 weeks old, and she is already getting spayed? I have always waited till 6months right before they get thier first heat... but thats just me..

They just seem so young to have major surgery. /shrug

Anyways.. does any of this help to maybe keep her? Or are you still going to give her away?

Good lord, she is only 11 weeks old, and she is already getting spayed? I have always waited till 6months right before they get thier first heat... but thats just me..

They just seem so young to have major surgery. /shrug

Anyways.. does any of this help to maybe keep her? Or are you still going to give her away?

My post says what we are going to do. When the vet says its time, we will fix her. I was under the impression 4-6 months old is a good time, but whenever they recommend it is when it will be done.

Yes it did. We are going to be keeping zoey.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

They're building a relationship, they're fine. The same thing happened to my dogs when we got the little yellow lab, Hayley. She would terrorize my BIG black lab, Dave (100+ lbs at all times), he showed her who's boss a few times, and they're as tight as bark on a tree now. They'll be fine, don't worry about it.