Any Thoughts/Comments on vw Jetta GLI's???

Rustlestiltskin

I've always had a sweet spot for these cars along w/ subaru wrx's and if I could find one for the right price then I would go w/ it rather then the wrx.

what are some pros/cons of these cars and would I have any problems if I just wanted to put a few aftermarket parts on it (chip,exhaust,other small stuff)

thanks,

Paul:cool:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had an 04.5 GLI as my daily for the last two years. I've been pretty happy with it. Not the fastest car in the world to say the least, but it can get out of its own way when you need it to. Suspension is sporty and firm, but not rock hard. 40 series 18" tires aren't the most comfortable thing in the world, but again, sporty looks and feel. The interior is what I really love. it's hard for a skinny guy like me to find supportive seats, but the recaro's really hold me in place. If you have any other questions, let me know. Oh, and everything I have is always for sale ;)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/jjschafe/KTV_5545sm.jpg

The RX8 is not fast, they handle fantastic, but are not fast, a stock GLI should take one. But that is beside the point.

The RX8 is a car that is unlike any other. It handles with the best of them, looks pretty good, has a good interior is fairly practical and did I say it handles? Its not fast, guzzles gas and requires endless gear changes.

The GLI is a compromise car. It has good tq, has good handling, has good mpg, has good interior, has good trunk and 4 doors and is mod friendly. However don't think you can make a GLI handle like your RX8. It wont. It is FWD, and everyone knows the limitations of that. Good in the snow and rain, but not optimal for handling and putting down power. It does nothing great, but most things well. That is Audi and VW's meal ticket, some don't like their cars because of that fact, but they have a cult following that is unlike any other make.

I say go for it, but I am a huge Audi/VW guy. I drove an RX8 and loved it all besides the engine. The MS3 engine would make the car a BLAST. I will post this up in your other thread too.

buy it, replace every part on the car and then have fun with it.

i had a 97 VW golf and it was the biggest POS ive ever owned.

after owning that car i will never own another VW.

That's because MKIII's are garbage in general...

I love my MKIV, but still put some work into it. The only thing the GLI's needs IMO, is a simple chip to really bring it alive, and best part is the better gas mileage from the chip.

I don't know much about the different models of VWs but I think the GTI? R32? GLI are all sharp but hard to tell apart. My wife's friend has a 2.8L VR6 01 jetta that I have worked on a few times and I was very impressed with the solid feel of that car without being harsh, impressive power for its displacement, and overall driving experience.

I saw a newer passat the other day that had styling on par with a mid level audi. very nice.

I would stick with a subie though for reliability if I had to get one of the two cars that have been mentioned. I wasn't that impressed with the WRX but never could find an STI to test drive.

I guess it comes down to what you want out of the car- if you want rx8 handling and more power I think you will have a tough time getting that reliably in the VW.

If I had to sum up vdub cars with one word it would be neat. Not awe inspring but neat.

If you want a german maintenance headache but impressive handling and power for "cheap" why not get an 86-90 porsche 944 turbo (951) and put an upgraded turbo on it. That or an wrx engine swapped 914 are the only german cars I would put up with... well I take that back I have had daydreams recently of bastardizing one of the newer style SL500s with an 5.0 or LS1, t56 and maybe a corvette rear.

I don't know much about the different models of VWs but I think the GTI? R32? GLI are all sharp but hard to tell apart. My wife's friend has a 2.8L VR6 01 jetta that I have worked on a few times and I was very impressed with the solid feel of that car without being harsh, impressive power for its displacement, and overall driving experience.

I saw a newer passat the other day that had styling on par with a mid level audi. very nice.

I would stick with a subie though for reliability if I had to get one of the two cars that have been mentioned. I wasn't that impressed with the WRX but never could find an STI to test drive.

I guess it comes down to what you want out of the car- if you want rx8 handling and more power I think you will have a tough time getting that reliably in the VW.

If I had to sum up vdub cars with one word it would be neat. Not awe inspring but neat.

If you want a german maintenance headache but impressive handling and power for "cheap" why not get an 86-90 porsche 944 turbo (951) and put an upgraded turbo on it. That or an wrx engine swapped 914 are the only german cars I would put up with... well I take that back I have had daydreams recently of bastardizing one of the newer style SL500s with an 5.0 or LS1, t56 and maybe a corvette rear.

I wouldn't say the VW's in general are maintenance nightmares, but they do require more attention than say, Toyotas :). One thing I have learned about them is that they are very sensitive to when it comes to electricals and vehicle diagnostic. Meaning, every little thing tends to set off a check engine light, but would normally be considered minor to other manufacturers. Like any vehicle, preventative maintenance goes a long way.. especially with VW's. And not that they're necessarily harder to work on either, they just use different bolts in some places that you wouldn't normally see. I've done all of the work on my own VW without any problems other than aquiring the right Torx bits.

BTW, IMO Subarus don't come to my mind as being super reliable either.. neither is better than the other in that aspect. The WRX/STI is going to make more power(although heavier) and be AWD, but nothing spectacular in comparison to the GLI as far as handling.

Bought my '05 (still MKIV) GLI this past August. I've put about 6k miles on it since then.

My thoughts on it (as a DD) are that it is good at a lot of things, although not great in any one category. Maybe that's what makes it so enjoyable and perfect for me as a daily driver. The 1.8T is not a powerhouse, but definitely is fun to drive; it's instant torque allows for spirited-like driving around town without having to tach it out.

Honestly though, the interior is really what won me over. The OEM Recaro seats are so comfortable and supportive. The detail inside is what I would expect from a German car, and a nice change from my '95 Integra for sure. Storage space, passenger room, gas mileage and just overall ease of daily driving is impressive imho. Then again, I prefer stiffer suspension to soft, cockpit feel over lounge chair, and boost over amazing mileage.

I am not going in depth (because I'm too tired to do so), and my opinion is honestly biased a bit despite this being my first VW. However in the end, I have to say that I really enjoy the car because I bought it for a purpose - fun and practical daily driver, and not a weekend go-fast car. You should definitely get out and drive / ride in one.

I wouldn't say the VW's in general are maintenance nightmares, but they do require more attention than say, Toyotas :). One thing I have learned about them is that they are very sensitive to when it comes to electricals and vehicle diagnostic. Meaning, every little thing tends to set off a check engine light, but would normally be considered minor to other manufacturers. Like any vehicle, preventative maintenance goes a long way.. especially with VW's. And not that they're necessarily harder to work on either, they just use different bolts in some places that you wouldn't normally see. I've done all of the work on my own VW without any problems other than aquiring the right Torx bits.

I know what you mean- I worked at Acceleration for a few summers on High St and we saw more than enough VWs with electrical problems- Add to that a few delightful audis, bmws, porsches and mercedes and I had about my fill of german cars- add that to the two 914s, the 924, and 911 wide body cabriolet my dad had along with two audis and we know enough about them to avoid them.

BTW, IMO Subarus don't come to my mind as being super reliable either.. neither is better than the other in that aspect. The WRX/STI is going to make more power(although heavier) and be AWD, but nothing spectacular in comparison to the GLI as far as handling.

I don't know anything about them other than their relatively high used resale and every contractor in their brother seems to have one with 200K+ miles and loves it but I have never worked on one... I hated the WRX (non STI) I test drove- way too laggy.