Do you want a CR autoX day this summer?

V8 Beast

Would you attend an official CR autoX event?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend an official CR autoX event?

• Yes I would
    • No, I would not.

I took a year off the site while i got my shit together with school and away from the car. I just put in the new harrop supercharger for the LSJ, should see some impressive numbers on the track, I'd be the first to sign up for an autox

We should do a rally cross one!

HELL MOTHER FUCKING YEAH.

I'm in for just a autocross as well. I think if CR continues to grow and expand we might become a try hardcore car club. ;)

I look forward to having more then just 1/4 races this year. It's awesome to cr expanding into this realm.

I would love to throw in another autocross this summer. Smaller groups are always better as you get a lot more seat time.

MrAutoX - If you can't get SCCA to lend us cones, I could talk to the guys at Buckeye Miata Club to see if they would rent us their cones and timing equipment. The Cobra Club holds an autocross every year and rents everything from BMC.

That's fine with me, I have a feeling to clear the red tape the event it's self will have to be officially held by some organization like the BMC or SCCA for insurance and sanctioning reasons. Basically they must have some of their people present to run the event is how it will likely go which is fine as you need some people there who know how to run the timing equipment and familiar with safety.

Another point that should not be overlooked is how difficult it is to get a good sized lot to run on. Not everybody that manages a parking lot will listen to your request to use their lot. Both BMC and OVR SCCA have those contacts already and they have the insurance contacts too.

Of the two organizations, I would rather work with the SCCA because they tend to have bigger lots available to them. Miatas seem to handle the smaller lots better than my fat car.

Mike

OVR-SCCA helped us put together an all subaru AutoX two years ago. It was a blast, and we used Cooper Stadium.

OVR was very helpful, and so was our sponsorship at the time who helped pay for fees.

For those asking fora rallyX, why not just go out to the OVR-SCCA RallyX? Its still a small group of people withe PLENTY of seat time. They could really use the support to keep it going, and its a blast. Most events are being held at Nati Trails..

Finding a lot big enough for the faster and bigger cars for this season is going to be very hard. BMC has been searching for a new lot to run at for a few years now, but can't find one for under double what they pay for the Historical Society. I know SCCA pays a pretty penny for the OSU lot and you have to book National Trails way ahead of time because the weekends fill up quick. And there aren't many other good lots to run in because schools won't allow it and stores are open 7 days a week.

Last I heard from BMC was that they actually took the last dates available this summer for the Historical Society so if SCCA would like to help, that's going to be our best bet.

Rumor at the SCCA chiefs meeting was an OSU group (OSU Sports Car Club?) was putting together an autocross series. No one has seen any "official" information, but it was given as one of the reasons we couldn't use the OSU lots on some weekends. If it is a new series, and perhaps will be "underattended", we may be able to work a deal with them. Of course this is all based on whether or not it happens, if the rumor is true, and anyone can find them. If anyone has heard anything about this - please pass it on.

I actually went to a couple of their meetings, The OSU Sports Car Club, and they had mentioned setting up an autocross day. I haven't gone to the meetings for a couple months now, but they seemed pretty serious about finding the money to try it out. They don't have many members, maybe 25, and some don't have cars so they would probably love to have more people come.

They aren't having any more meetings this quarter because of finals this week, but I guess I'll have to start going next quarter and see if this is really going to happen.

BMC are definitely good guys, but the Historical Center lot feels undersized -- even in my miata. If we are counting on having a big group, then there will be long waits between runs because BMC only allows one or maaaaybe 2 cars on the track at once. When there are only 25 cars at the event, it's fine. When there are 100, not so much.

I think SCCA would be a way better organization to join forces with.