Motorcycle Values

KillJoy

Why is it, that folks seem to want (in my mind) so much $$$ for older bikes. Like bikes that are 15+ years old, that are nothing special, still priced NEAR what you can get a < 10 year old Crotch Rocket for? Does a running bike in decent condition just have a "base value", kinda like a running car is "usually" worth $500?

Just wondering....

KillJoy

I think a running, mechanically sound, clean appearing motorcycle is almost always listed for at least $1,000. The thing is, people seem to confuse "hard to find" with "rare and desirable". People get in their head that once a bike reaches the point that you don't see them around any more that somehow all of the ones they once saw are being snapped up by collectors. The reality, of course, is that there really aren't that many people that WANT to ride a 1984 Yamaha Seca 750, or Kawasaki kz400 (both cool bikes in their own right, but nothing I'd pay more than $500 to own).