New laptop, what to get?

Trouble Maker

Thinking about the Dell Inspiron 13. Something in that range, smaller and light, but not a netbook. Kind of in between the netbook and notebook. I've looked at a few 13" models and I'm 99% sure that's what I want to go with. Must have a built in CD/DVD drive, so no 'big' netbooks.

Looking at around the $700-800 range (this will get a decent speced/optioned Dell plus docking station w/my companies discount). Oh yeah, I get a 7% discount on dells on top of whatever discount they are offering, so that helps and it's why I started there.

What else should I look at? I have to be able to go somewhere local to fondle it.

Honestly hated our old ones at work, but it was one model and the only experience I've had with them. Love that we have IBM's now. They are twice as much (at least) for the equivalent or I'd get one. It's all about price points.

What kind of specs are you looking to achieve?

Not a huge computer guy, so I can't say processor wise, or even how much memory I would want/need. Just want something decent and new. All of our computers are pretty old. Mostly simple stuff, but some streaming video. I'm thinking middle of the line processor, integrated video is ok, 2-3gb of ram, ~300gb HD, at least DVD player/CD writer, preferable DVD/CD writer. Definitely want a 13" screen.

HDMI output on the XPS, sold.

When it starts shocking you/performs sluggishly/melts/fucking falls apart, remember this: I told ya so. :D

Dude, I have bought a ton of dell laptops over the past 5 years never with an issue. If you go out and buy a $300-$500 POS and fails to meet your expectations..don't blame the brand.

Just got rid of my XPS M1530 a few months ago...thing was built like a tank and had a slot load Blu-Ray burner to boot!

Jess, dont' hesitate on the Dell, they also have good customer service overall.

:cool:

i sold my macbook last year and have been planning to get another whenever i get all my finances straight or feel the absolute need for another. but for the mean time to get me by, i bought an acer. it was just over $600 and ive bought a few little extras for it. this thing has been pretty good to me and i have no major complaints, it is definitely better than the old HP i had. it responds quickly and performs better than i would have thought. i also have about 15gb of music, 40 full movies, videos, LOTS of pictures, and all kinds of other random shit on it. so it might be worth a try checking one out. im sure the price on mine has dropped since...but i have the aspire 4720z model

Dude, I have bought a ton of dell laptops over the past 5 years never with an issue. If you go out and buy a $300-$500 POS and fails to meet your expectations..don't blame the brand.

Just got rid of my XPS M1530 a few months ago...thing was built like a tank and had a slot load Blu-Ray burner to boot!

Jess, dont' hesitate on the Dell, they also have good customer service overall.

:cool:

I can attest for Dell's customer service.

I have an almost-new XPSM1530. I love it, and it owns on most, if not all, new games.

I can attest for Dell's customer service.

I have an almost-new XPSM1530. I love it, and it owns on most, if not all, new games.

Also wish I had the money to burn to get the discrete graphics, but it's not something I would use often. Actually probably something I would use just because it was there. With the stock integrated graphics I won't be tempted to waste (more of) my time playing games on it.

I just got a Latitude E4300 (work laptop, swap out for my last one, which won't be missed). So far I have been pretty pleased with it, but god knows how much the thing was.

I am disappointed this new one only has 1 USB port and no PCMCIA port. :(

I just got a Latitude E4300 (work laptop, swap out for my last one, which won't be missed). So far I have been pretty pleased with it, but god knows how much the thing was.

I am disappointed this new one only has 1 USB port and no PCMCIA port. :(

A newer laptop with only 1 USB port? Whaaaaaaaat?

I have an older XPS M1210... its pretty bad ass. Use to play TF2 all the time on it. Its a 12.1" screen though, think you were looking for 13.

Check out the dell outlet you can find some pretty nasty deals and still get the standard warranty.

A newer laptop with only 1 USB port? Whaaaaaaaat?

I know, very odd. Yet it has a Firewire and eSATA port. Luckily I don't really use anything USB on this thing other than my Sprint wireless card (I have a Bluetooth mouse/Keyboard)