New iPhone June 19th...OS 3.0, 17th

Putty

New iPhone looks the same, but has all new internals. Said to be about 3Xs faster for the most part. Phone come in 16gb and 32gb...199 and 299. The 8gb 3G will remain for 99.

Also...current users get upgrade to OS 3.0 on the 17th.

Read from bottom up..

12:01 pm In the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK. A week later, 6 more countries. Many more to come this summer

12:01 pm The iPhone 3GS will be available on June 19th.

12:01 pm The iPhone 3G 8GB will be available for $99 today.

12:00 pm Apple wants the iPhone to be more affordable. The existing 8GB iPhone 3G will remain -- for $99.

12:00 pm Those are AT&T prices for new and qualifying customers; may vary elsewhere. Comes in black and white, as before.

11:59 am $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB.

11:59 am Ships with iPhone OS 3.0 for $199.

11:58 am Most eco-friendly iPhone yet -- arsenic-free glass, BRF-free, mercury-free LCD, etc.

11:58 am Improved battery life. Now up to 9 hours of internet surfing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2g talk-time, 5 hours of 3g talk-time.

11:57 am Instant remote wipe, encrypted iTunes backups.

11:57 am Something business have asked for -- data encryption, which iPhone 3GS supports.

11:56 am Support for Nike+

11:56 am New accessibility options -- VoiceOver for content and controls, zooming, color inversion, mono audio, etc.

11:55 am New compass app shows your orientation, integration with Maps -- if you double click, the map will reorientate itself.

11:55 am Also -- a digital compass.

11:55 am You can also ask "what's playing now?" and it will tell you. Or say "play more songs like this" and a genius playlist will be built.

11:54 am With the iPhone 3GS, you hold down the home button for a second and a voice control interface is brought up. Simply say things like "Call Scott Forstall" -- if there are more than one entries, it will ask which one you wanted (i.e. home, office, etc) -- or "play The Killers"

11:53 am There is an API for video too, which allows developers to integrate video capture into their apps. Next -- voice control.

11:52 am The videos live alongside photos in the same application. You can scrub a video and edit it too. You can share the video right from your iPhone 3GS to YouTube, MobileMe, MMS, and email.

11:51 am The camera application has a switch that lets you swap between still photo and video mode. 30FPS, VGA with audio, auto-focus, auto-white balance, auto-exposure.

11:50 am Developers can take advantage of the camera too. But the best thing is -- it also captures video.

11:50 am Also features tap-to-focus. Tap on the part of the photo you want to focus, and it automatically does so. Automatically handles exposure and white balance. Better low-light sensitivity as well. Also, auto-macro -- as close as 10cm away.

11:49 am Vastly more pictures on Flickr from iPhones than any other phone. Now featuers 3MP auto-focus camera.

11:48 am Also has amazing features -- brand new camera.

11:48 am Supports OpenGL|ES 2.0 -- great for games. Supports 7.2Mbps HSPDA.

11:47 am 2.1x faster to launch Messages, 2.4x to load SimCity, 3.6x faster to load an Excel attachment, 2.9x faster to load a large website.

11:47 am No front-facing video camera. The insides are entirely new, but the outside appears the same.

11:46 am He's now ready to tell us about a new version of the iPhone -- iPhone 3GS. S stands for speed.

so when will 3.0 OS be released for download?

the 17th, i'm looking now to see what all is changed with the new os...

the most inclusive stuff i have found so far is this, from apple.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

And, i have been wanting that landscape keyboard for a while now..

Edited by Steve R.
updated

Holy shaft to upgrade to 3GS

# (2) Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB)

Diffs

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2OTU

When it can do turn by turn GPS Navigation and talk to me like my Blackberry, I'm in. Until then, I love the phone and applications, but the most practice part for me to buy is missing. :(

Tom Tom is releasing a turn by turn app... and they are releasing a device to plug the iPhone into it which will have a suction cup, speaker and mic, and better GPS antenna to attach it to your windshield.

Shizzel, mudcrotch beat me to it. http://i.gizmodo.com/5283376/wwdc-2009-iphone-30-app-roundup/gallery

pdqgp's point is that his phone does this all by itself. Doesn't need a big crazy cradle/dock/adapter.

True....while I'm not crazy about the Tom Tom adapter thingy shown, at least it's a step. I would however, just rather have an application. Right now it's a service I pay $10/mo. for on my BB, but it's worth it to me.

Funny how Apple is being blamed for ATT's rape you in the ass, policy.

Not to mention the fact that if you buy a last generation laptop, you don't get a discount for upgrading to the current one... (or a car, computer, TV, etc.) It is simple business, the initial cost is subsidized and passed along to the consumer through the astronomical monthly fees we get to pay. If they haven't collected the revenue to off set the subsidy why the hell would they give you a new phone and incur even more risk.

Entitled tech geeks are as bad as welfare recipients.