Sold my Jeep. Time for a Silverado/Sierra. Questions...

FourString

I made a thread a few months back asking about the pros and cons of these trucks. I am now finally in the position to buy one. I am looking to buy a 2003+ Silverado or Sierra. The truck will be my daily driver, and occasionally haul my Talon to the track. I MUST have an extended cab, 5.3, auto, and short bed. My main question is: What makes the Z71 Package so much better over the regular 4x4 model? I have had 2 people tell me to get the Z71 over a regular model. When I ask why, they simply reply with "they are better". What makes them better? Is it worth turning down a nice deal on a base 4x4 in favor of a Z71 that may or may not cost more?

Also, are there common places for rust to form other than the cab corners? I want to find a rust-free one.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

4x4 would be fine in my book. IIRC the Z71 is just upgrades shocks, skidplates, and tires. There could be more to it than that but I wouldnt pass on a good deal on a 4x4 if it has the options you are looking for. The 5.3 is a good motor, easy to work on, and reliable.

Most of the trucks we see are fairly new off the lot but I cant think of any common rust spots on the 03 and up trucks. The cab corners were a problem on the 88-98 platform but the 03 and up seem to be better.

The most common complaints I see are of the steering wheel clunk from the intermediate shaft, and irregular pad/rotor wear. Other than that the trucks are great.

4x4 would be fine in my book. IIRC the Z71 is just upgrades shocks, skidplates, and tires. There could be more to it than that but I wouldnt pass on a good deal on a 4x4 if it has the options you are looking for. The 5.3 is a good motor, easy to work on, and reliable.

Most of the trucks we see are fairly new off the lot but I cant think of any common rust spots on the 03 and up trucks. The cab corners were a problem on the 88-98 platform but the 03 and up seem to be better.

The most common complaints I see are of the steering wheel clunk from the intermediate shaft, and irregular pad/rotor wear. Other than that the trucks are great.

Upon doing some quick research, it looks as if the gearing may have been better in the Z models. It looks like they were all at least 3.73 as opposed to something smaller.

One thing for sure, you know trucks. I will take your advice. Thanks :)

Sold Jeep = Fail!!

I know. That will definitely not be the last one I own. I will find a Rubicon when I get out of college.

I may be wrong on this, but I think the other part of the Z71 was a limited slip rear axle, available on a regular 4x4, but I think standard on a Z71. No reasons I could think of to turn a deal down on a nice 4x4.

Hell if you didn't care about economy, and are willing to step down a year I have the perfect truck for you on the lot.

02 2500 HD Ex cab. 8100 V8.

We can also customize it with the cylinder deactivation feature...Just let me know and I will take four plug wires off of it.

I understand why you want one, but I kind of agree sold Jeep=Fail

z71 trucks are standard with a 5.3l. alot of car dealer's throw the badges on there to sell them. so if you open the hood and see a 4.8l its not a z71. Great trucks. I'd love to have a 2005 gmc slt crew cab short bed.

Let me know if we can help in any way.

Absolutely. Thanks!

I may be wrong on this, but I think the other part of the Z71 was a limited slip rear axle, available on a regular 4x4, but I think standard on a Z71. No reasons I could think of to turn a deal down on a nice 4x4.

Hell if you didn't care about economy, and are willing to step down a year I have the perfect truck for you on the lot.

02 2500 HD Ex cab. 8100 V8.

We can also customize it with the cylinder deactivation feature...Just let me know and I will take four plug wires off of it.

I understand why you want one, but I kind of agree sold Jeep=Fail

I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like a well engineered modification :D

The Z71 skidplates come in handy, trust me on this :)

I noticed that :lol:

z71 trucks are standard with a 5.3l. alot of car dealer's throw the badges on there to sell them. so if you open the hood and see a 4.8l its not a z71. Great trucks. I'd love to have a 2005 gmc slt crew cab short bed.

Yeah I wondered about that. Some places will try nearly anything to unload a vehicle. Luckily, I have the engine codes memorized for the VIN. V=4.8 and T=5.3

I will look locally for something until Monday. If I do not have anything by then, I will chase down some of the leads on AutoTrader. I already found a great deal on a non-Z71. I am now just trying to see if I come across a Z for an equal or slightly higher price.

I am pretty sure you can pick up (better) aftermarket skid plates for pretty cheap if that is going to be a deciding factor in which truck you buy. I think when I worked at the chevy dealership front and rear could be put on for less then 200 bucks but that was couple years ago.

Yeah I wondered about that. Some places will try nearly anything to unload a vehicle. Luckily, I have the engine codes memorized for the VIN. V=4.8 and T=5.3

I will look locally for something until Monday. If I do not have anything by then, I will chase down some of the leads on AutoTrader. I already found a great deal on a non-Z71. I am now just trying to see if I come across a Z for an equal or slightly higher price.

i sent you a pm.

Well, as some of you know, I picked up an 03 Silverado Z-71 today. So far, I love it. Anthony, you were right :D

A big thanks to Brady at PPC for checking it over for me and giving me a tour of the shop! I also had the chance to meet Scotty while I was there. Thanks again guys. Hope to be back soon :)

Get a cap on it and you'll pass for a grandpa....lol.

Sounds like a nice truck, looking forward to seeing it.

I'll get some pics up in my gallery sometime this week.

Can I ask why you got rid of the jeep? My buddy is giving me his and I havent been in one since I was a kid. Was it just not fun to drive?

Actually no, it was the funnest vehicle I have ever owned. However, driving 80 minutes roundtrip everyday with no AC is not an option anymore. I was sick of taking a shower, and then being covered head to toe in sweat by the time I got to college or work everyday. It was fun to drive, but I hated smelling like swamp-ass everyday. Plus, I wanted something that could tow the Talon to the track. I want to be able to romp on it without the worry of not getting home. Trust me, you will love the Jeep.

Its free for as long as I want to drive it. I have never driven one and thought it might be nice to cruise around with no top. Thanks man I will pick it up next week and see if I like it. Should be fun for summer anyways.

They are a B L A S T. What year is it?

Not sure. He has had it for a few years. We replaced the transfer case on it and cleaned it up really good when he got it but it has been sitting for 2 years I think and hes tired of mowing around it so I will take it off his hands for a few months. I will post pics when I get it.

Not sure. He has had it for a few years. We replaced the transfer case on it and cleaned it up really good when he got it but it has been sitting for 2 years I think and hes tired of mowing around it so I will take it off his hands for a few months. I will post pics when I get it.

Round or square headlights?