Insurance claim question... Shop to install stolen GPS

SamZman

My gf has a 2008 Toyota 4Runner. She recently had someone break in and yank this:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2008/03/eclipse-avn2212p.jpg .. it floated away just like it is in the pic. Well apparently you cant just buy the TomTom piece. So the whole unit has to be replaced. The estimate she got from Toyota Direct is $4400! I have no idea how she got this price and havnt gotten a look at the quote. She claims it just says "GPS and labor". I was just going to buy the unit and install it myself....but here's where the questions come.

The insurance company made the check to her and Toyota Direct. Forcing her to go to them. Her agent said since the bank and her both own the truck they have to make the check to both. I've heard of this before but wander if there is any way around this? If not are there any shops she could have do this and atleast save her the $250 deductuble.. or hopefully a little more?

When my insurance check came in it was co-written like that also, I had no problems depositing it though.

The unit itself is 600.00 from amazon, Toyota Direct is trying to make a preety dime.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011XTUSS/ref=asc_df_B0011XTUSS828080?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=yahoo-ce-20&linkCode=asn

Really you think if she just signs it and sticks it in the ATM it will go thru?!

Just have her keep going to different tellers at different branches till one doesn't pay attention. I doubt the insurance company would dispute it...

Of course, is out made otu "and" or "or"?

If you deposit that check and spend that money that has Toyota direct on it and they find out about it, you got a problem! I had a patient do that with an insurance check once, she ended up in front of the grand jury in Knox county.

If you think the estimate is too high, call the adjuster back and go get a new estimate somewhere else.

Good to know.. I defintely don't want to do anything illegal! It just seems she should be able to get the list price for the part, maybe somethin for the labor and I can put it in.

She said the check could be made out to her and the bank.. I've dealt with this before when I worked at a bank but it's been 10 years and I cant remember how it was resolved...

Good to know.. I defintely don't want to do anything illegal! It just seems she should be able to get the list price for the part, maybe somethin for the labor and I can put it in.

She said the check could be made out to her and the bank.. I've dealt with this before when I worked at a bank but it's been 10 years and I cant remember how it was resolved...

I agree that estimate is way high. I will do it for 2k including parts.

who is the lien holder? contact them to see if they will cash it. if not find someone that has a small shop and have the ins co change the draft to that shop. and profit. the ins co had to put the lien holder or a shop to enure the veh was repaired or the lien holder is aware of the dmg.

If you deposit that check and spend that money that has Toyota direct on it and they find out about it, you got a problem! I had a patient do that with an insurance check once, she ended up in front of the grand jury in Knox county.

If you think the estimate is too high, call the adjuster back and go get a new estimate somewhere else.

Were the services already rendered? If so, THAT is insurance fraud.

Cashing this check would not be, esp if his gf's name is first on the check. Like I said, you may just have some issues with tellers cashing it without it signed twice, but others may not care.

I just talked to a friend who did something similar with his house. Got an insurance check for hail damage in his and tje mortgage company's name. He said he did the work himself and had to prove to the mortgage company that the work was done. They then signed off on the check and he cashed it.

But if LJ and Sam are correct and this is not illegal that would be a much simpler way of depositing the check. Just deposit in the ATM? Then going to get the truck fixed. I'd feel more comfortable if the check was made out to her and the lender's name rather than the dealership. The does seem like a scary grey area.

I just talked to a friend who did something similar with his house. Got an insurance check for hail damage in his and tje mortgage company's name. He said he did the work himself and had to prove to the mortgage company that the work was done. They then signed off on the check and he cashed it.

i did the same thing with our house fire

I have had numerous insurance claims, they are always made out to me and the shop that gave the estimate. Insurance companies hate the thought that customers would be putting money in their pocket. I know it is for fraud reasons, but anyway. I have always just endorsed the check and put it in the bank, waited for it to clear, and that's it. Never had a problem, but I know they have become stricter on some policies.

I had this done to my tbss when someone tried to break in. The check was made to me and Bob Mcdormans. As long as your name is on the check you can go cash it or deposit it and do what you want with the money.

Not true. If it is made out to two parties if must be endorsed by both. Do they slip through the bank? sure. I hope you don't get caught.

Not true. If it is made out to two parties if must be endorsed by both. Do they slip through the bank? sure. I hope you don't get caught.

Why? The Insurance company would be the one that would have to dispute it.

Why? The Insurance company would be the one that would have to dispute it.

Not if the dealer gets nasty. When two parties are listed on the check it belongs to both parties. One payee cannot just sign the check and cash it without the consent of the other person. Odds are you wont have an issue, but if you do it might put you in a pinch.

This happened in our office about 3 or so years ago, the bank teller that cashed it got fired, the lady that cashed it had to face a grand jury. The only reason they did not indicted is she came up with the money before the grand jury met.

Not if the dealer gets nasty. When two parties are listed on the check it belongs to both parties. One payee cannot just sign the check and cash it without the consent of the other person. Odds are you wont have an issue, but if you do it might put you in a pinch.

This happened in our office about 3 or so years ago, the bank teller that cashed it got fired, the lady that cashed it had to face a grand jury. The only reason they did not indicted is she came up with the money before the grand jury met.

Like I asked before, were services already rendered?

The problem with this is that The company that the check is written to is going to have to pay taxes on that money that you are going to deposit. The insurance company has already used there federal tax i.d. number for that check. You need to call them and let them know that you dont want that shop to perform the work. There are ways around this pm. me and i will let you know how my shop can help you.

I've had lots of insurance checks over the years, but never one made payable to me and a repair shop. Thats just retarded.

I've also always just cashed the checks and bought a nice toy since I never have a car I care about. The last example I just did last night. Check for $2500 so I blew the thing 2 camera lenses.